Analysis 2024 Specific DT/Supercoach questions - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all

stickied thread for any poster seeking information on Western Bulldog players as part of their 2024 SC/DT teams

Hi all, is Dale locked in to play defence again this year? Read somewhere that Bevo had played him forward earlier this year in training. He also didn't appear last week, is he fully fit? How did he go in the 2nd game?

Hi all, is Dale locked in to play defence again this year? Read somewhere that Bevo had played him forward earlier this year in training. He also didn't appear last week, is he fully fit? How did he go in the 2nd game?

He was as good as ever in the second game, I think putting some top players in that match was strategic to give other blokes a run. Doubt he’ll go back to the forward line - everyone spent some time out of position in training.

Update, hamstring tightness might keep him out of the first match.

G'Day all!

Sam Darcy, I liked the look of him in the limited games he played last year, has he progressed much and likely to get games this year?

I currently have him as a bench option!

Darcy and Lobb will be competing for the same role, I think Lobb's slightly ahead at this point. I reckon he'll be in and out of the side, but he'll certainly get games.

With Macrae looking unlikely to play this week, do you guys think it will be long before he regains his spot?
There are two narratives on Macrae:

1. "He's been dealing with a hamstring problem in the pre-season and is underdone so we shouldn't be playing him this week" - Bevo (the public narrative)
2. "He's been underperforming for the last 2 seasons and is too slow and indirect for a starting midfield position" - lots of pundits, including many here on BF

Whichever narrative you subscribe to, he's unlikely to make an appearance in Round 2, unless the Dogs get spanked by a big margin this weekend or suffer a lot of injuries. That's because there's unlikely to be a really meaningful hitout for him in the VFL practice game this week. Hence (1) he'll still be underdone and (2) even if he plays well it will be hard to assess that form relative to the blokes who are playing seniors ahead of him.

That said, I reckon he will work his way into solid accumulating form and make an appearance in the seniors by round 4 or 5.

The question very few outside the club can answer is "is this form slide terminal or temporary?" I'm of the fence-sitting view that it's a bit of both. That is, there has been a permanent dip in his capability but not a career-ending one. He is unlikely to return to his peak AA form but will regain some of his old form as the season progresses. He will see out this season (and maybe even the next couple) as a handy B-grader. Or C-grader at worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can you see Coffield's role being and what is his job security? Same for Harvey Gallagher please :)

Coffield most likely a third tall marking defender, should score pretty well. Gallagher's named on a wing and is so far more of an outside player. Coffield would have pretty good job security I think, Gallagher probably less so.

If English were to go down injured, would Darcy be NIL to move into the number one ruck role, or would Lobb come in and do it?
You'll get a range of opinions on this but I'd say Lobb/Darcy on about a 2/1 mix.
Darcy still needs to build stamina and his frame is still too light to handle a full ruck load.

You'll get a range of opinions on this but I'd say Lobb/Darcy on about a 2/1 mix.
Darcy still needs to build stamina and his frame is still too light to handle a full ruck load.
I've got English as my ruck in a draft league, and I thought picking up Darcy as his backup could be a smart play given he's about to pick up ruck status, but Lobb complicates things.

On a side note, do you think Darcy is having an impact on English's scores, or has he just had a couple of down weeks?

I've got English as my ruck in a draft league, and I thought picking up Darcy as his backup could be a smart play given he's about to pick up ruck status, but Lobb complicates things.

On a side note, do you think Darcy is having an impact on English's scores, or has he just had a couple of down weeks?
I wouldn't have thought so. English rates best in his work as an outsized midfielder. Less so on his tap work (although that's still a controversial topic around here - it's not as bad as some claim). Darcy's not taking much of that away from him - no more than Lobb would if he had been playing instead.

I think English is 100% fit so it wouldn't surprise me to see him with a near BoG some time soon.

depends on whether you are playing DT/AF or supercoach

think Darcy has more of an impact on English AF/DT points not so much for SC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back