VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am thinking this too but for his panic. Is two years really enough though? Maybe we have to persist considering our struggles in developing players of his type

Could just be a project player and be given more time accordingly. Will be interesting to see. Just needs to continually think ‘pressure’ when he doesn’t have the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Initial impressions of game against U18 kids.

Sanders BOG - didn’t look that interested but did it easy. 30 touches - looked a cut above some very good players but still kids.

Keath - not surprisingly looked like he was playing against kids and was good but going easy.

Friejah - clearly a class above. He looks every bit a star and I reckon will be the steal of the draft. He makes Bedendo, Artie, McChicken, Cleary etc who were all disappointing- look worse because of his composure and body strength. These three were all expected to move forward significantly this year but alarm bells at the moment.

Buss was good without being great. He is putting on size and is a good distributor. Would have expected him to be more dominant against kids. Has talent but needs the size/balance to play against genuine KPFs. Not sure he is there yet and for all the potential - even this game shows that right now he is still well behind Keath. No criticism - he is on track but is still very young for KPD.

Croft started to show some really good signs with both marks and great movement. He is quick. A long way off seniors but he has something about him.

Charlie Clarke looks really solid and ready but wouldn’t say he look dangerous - ie he doesn’t cause enough panic. Needs to move with power like Papley to force the call up.

Poulter is an enigma - he does some really good things showing a high ceiling but then disappears = low floor.

On the other hand Baker is genuinely quick and always working - high floor but just seems missing something either brilliance or ability in contest marking = low ceiling.

Gardner just gives every job a red hot go. Should have kicked five but missed some easy marks. He tries and tries but clearly behind Keath and Buss and so moved forward and did ok. This flexibility is an asset to the team but Can’t say this helps his AFL prospects though. Croft given opportunity to play as third defender ahead of Gardner in a clear side of where the list management sees Gards.

Lachlan Smith was pretty poor - competed but playing against kids (he is only a year older) but also missed some easy marks and would have hoped for a bit of dominance.

For U18s - Can’t remember all them but Fullback - Trainor was fantastic - really solid against men and just looks like the part. Apparently was BOG in his last game also.

Ashcroft was pretty good too but beaten by Sanders. Also Camporeale twins and number 12 has Conor Rozee about him.

Anyone keen to give a summary of some listed players?
Cheers in advance.
My livestream was a bit broken up which was frustrating to watch. So I didn't watch enough to give a decent summary of all players but I was watching Busslinger with interest. I think he's getting closer. Made a few skills errors (eg dropped marks) but was generally pretty solid. Positioned well and recovered if he dropped a mark. Seemed confident in what he was doing. Also seems to have filled out a bit.

Clarke looked very good. Kicked at least 3 and could have had 4-5. Has a nice leap too.

I had the sound off for some of the time and I think I was confusing Cleary and Sanders a bit. Sanders did OK but didn't dominate. For the same reason it's hard to comment on Cleary with any conviction but he looked pretty good running and delivering out of defence.

Keath looked in good form and is ready to step up if needed.
Croft took a couple of nice grabs that I saw.
Bedendo looked good at times too but was not prolific. He seldom is.
Lachlan Smith did OK for a 19yo in the ruck. Not much older than his opposite.

I've already commented on Spicer. He's behind Clarke but ahead of Arty Jones. Does some attractive things so I'd persevere. Not sure I'd draft him in the MSD though. I can't see much future for McNeil. They are all slightly different types but they would be competing for a similar position in the seniors. Vanders is ahead of them ATM.

Generally the Academy boys looked classy when they had some space. They used their handball and running game to good effect. They also had some excellent marking talls. However the game seemed to be decided in the contested area. Our boys would have won a lot more of the contested possession and worked their way through traffic well. They simply created more chances. Home ground advantage and being more established and practised as a team would have helped too.

My livestream was a bit broken up which was frustrating to watch. So I didn't watch enough to give a decent summary of all players but I was watching Busslinger with interest. I think he's getting closer. Made a few skills errors (eg dropped marks) but was generally pretty solid. Positioned well and recovered if he dropped a mark. Seemed confident in what he was doing. Also seems to have filled out a bit.

Clarke looked very good. Kicked at least 3 and could have had 4-5. Has a nice leap too.

I had the sound off for some of the time and I think I was confusing Cleary and Sanders a bit. Sanders did OK but didn't dominate. For the same reason it's hard to comment on Cleary with any conviction but he looked pretty good running and delivering out of defence.

Keath looked in good form and is ready to step up if needed.
Croft took a couple of nice grabs that I saw.
Bedendo looked good at times too but was not prolific. He seldom is.

I've already commented on Spicer. He's behind Clarke but ahead of Arty Jones. Does some attractive things so I'd persevere. Not sure I'd draft him in the MSD though. I can't see much future for McNeil. They are all slightly different types but they would be competing for a similar position in the seniors. Vanders is ahead of them ATM.

Generally the Academy boys looked classy when they had some space. They used their handball and running game to good effect. They also had some excellent marking talls. However the game seemed to be decided in the contested area. Our boys would have won a lot more of the contested possession and worked their way through traffic well. They simply created more chances. Home ground advantage and being more established and practised as a team would have helped too.

What was Buss like defensively?

Was he strong in 1v1 contests or get beaten more often than not?

Don’t understand the decision to play Croft up fwd, unless they see he’s possibly going to be a forward in the near future.

Match for no points, and they play Gardiner down back who’s clearly not in future plans.

Would’ve been ideal to get back half minutes in to Croft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t understand the decision to play Croft up fwd, unless they see he’s possibly going to be a forward in the near future.

Match for no points, and they play Gardiner down back who’s clearly not in future plans.

Would’ve been ideal to get back half minutes in to Croft.

Croft and Gardner swapped at half time.

Lachlan Smith was pretty poor - competed but playing against kids (he is only a year older) but also missed some easy marks and would have hoped for a bit of dominance.

Happy Excuse Me GIF

What was Buss like defensively?

Was he strong in 1v1 contests or get beaten more often than not?
Pretty good apart from dropping a couple of marks he should have taken. AFL Academy had enough attacking forays to pose a threat but I can't recall them taking CMs inside 30. They seemed to get their goals from chips to a loose player or from free kicks.

I do recall he took a good CM from behind (third man up) in the last quarter but the umpire paid a free to the U18 player at the front. I think it might have been the other Footscray defender who infringed. Between him and Keath they defused any real aerial threat. In fact the whole defence did well as a unit.

I liked his ability to mop up the loose ball, not bad for a big bloke. Seems to have a good footy brain.

Getting back to your question (and remembering I didn't watch it throughout) it's a bit hard to say how good he will be 1v1 against seasoned bulked up men. These were mostly skinny kids. If JOD or Buku get injured he'd be worth a try as the second or third tall in defence. If Liam Jones had to miss I'd probably go for Keath as the replacement.

I reckon he should get half a dozen games this year. Maybe more, depending on injuries.

Initial impressions of game against U18 kids.

Sanders BOG - didn’t look that interested but did it easy. 30 touches - looked a cut above some very good players but still kids.

Keath - not surprisingly looked like he was playing against kids and was good but going easy.

Friejah - clearly a class above. He looks every bit a star and I reckon will be the steal of the draft. He makes Bedendo, Artie, McChicken, Cleary etc who were all disappointing- look worse because of his composure and body strength. These three were all expected to move forward significantly this year but alarm bells at the moment.

Buss was good without being great. He is putting on size and is a good distributor. Would have expected him to be more dominant against kids. Has talent but needs the size/balance to play against genuine KPFs. Not sure he is there yet and for all the potential - even this game shows that right now he is still well behind Keath. No criticism - he is on track but is still very young for KPD.

Croft started to show some really good signs with both marks and great movement. He is quick. A long way off seniors but he has something about him.

Charlie Clarke looks really solid and ready but wouldn’t say he look dangerous - ie he doesn’t cause enough panic. Needs to move with power like Papley to force the call up.

Poulter is an enigma - he does some really good things showing a high ceiling but then disappears = low floor.

On the other hand Baker is genuinely quick and always working - high floor but just seems missing something either brilliance or ability in contest marking = low ceiling.

Gardner just gives every job a red hot go. Should have kicked five but missed some easy marks. He tries and tries but clearly behind Keath and Buss and so moved forward and did ok. This flexibility is an asset to the team but Can’t say this helps his AFL prospects though. Croft given opportunity to play as third defender ahead of Gardner in a clear side of where the list management sees Gards.

For U18s - Can’t remember all them but Fullback - Trainor was fantastic - really solid against men and just looks like the part. Apparently was BOG in his last game also.

Ashcroft was pretty good too but beaten by Sanders. Also Camporeale twins and number 12 has Conor Rozee about him.
Very odd on Smith
Cause he was named best player for Footscray

I think Clarke will be one of those players that excels at a higher level. I think he is doing all the basics right at the moment.

In the afl team he would have Naughton, Darcy, JUH as a reference point to get front and centre to and he’d be getting fed by better quality players.

I do wonder what the coaches see he is missing as he seems to be in our best 10 players most weeks in the VFL but is yet to be an emergency which suggests Arty for example is closer than him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back