Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

free health checks at work today, thought why not... was mainly curious about cholesterol as I have no idea when you're meant to start thinking about that sort of stuff...
part of it was a body composition analyzer. supposedly i'm at 12.9% body fat o_O i expected things to be a little off but that seems way too low. my arms and legs are like pipe cleaners but torso is textbook skinnyfat imo. 18% would be my guess based on photo charts of the net :huh:
apparently also have the metabolic age of a 13 year old hahaha so guess i cant complain

Last edited:
free health checks at work today, thought why not... was mainly curious about cholesterol as I have no idea when you're meant to start thinking about that sort of stuff...
part of it was a body composition analyzer. supposedly i'm at 12.9% body fat o_O i expected things to be a little off but that seems way too low. my arms and legs are like pipe cleaners but torso is textbook skinnyfat imo. 18% would be my guess based on photo charts of the net :huh:
apparently also have the metabolic age of a 13 year old hahaha so guess i cant complain
What did they say about your cholesterol

Need some advice please, Aeglos saj_21 etc.

So, now that I've traded my soul away to FT work, I'm struggling to commit to 5am gym sessions every weekday.

I was wondering if a program like this would work/have the same effect:

Day 1 Arms + Legs
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Shoulders + Glutes
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Legs + Core
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 Back + Glutes (Recovery dependent)
Day 8 Rest
Repeat
Depending on how my recovery is on rest days, I'd also like to do bodyweight squats and light clams. I suspect it should be fine. Had legs yesterday, feel okay today.

FWIW I currently am doing back, arms, legs, shoulders, leg, repeat - no rest day. Recovery is fine.

Also - I suspect post-holiday I've lost a fair bit of strength in glutes, but retained them in quads. I feel like I recruit quads more now, so I was thinking of a glute day comprising of (please keep in mind I don't know the names of what I'm talking about):

- Squats
- Hip Extensions
- Wide-stance leg press
- Single leg press on an angle for the glute activation thingy
- Pull Throughs
- Clams
- Sumo Deadlifts...? (Already have normal deads on back day, so unsure if it will be beneficial)

Open to other suggestions.

EDIT: I don't train chest/don't want to start training chest.

Need some advice please, Aeglos saj_21 etc.

So, now that I've traded my soul away to FT work, I'm struggling to commit to 5am gym sessions every weekday.

I was wondering if a program like this would work/have the same effect:

Day 1 Arms + Legs
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Shoulders + Glutes
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 Legs + Core
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 Back + Glutes (Recovery dependent)
Day 8 Rest
Repeat
Depending on how my recovery is on rest days, I'd also like to do bodyweight squats and light clams. I suspect it should be fine. Had legs yesterday, feel okay today.

FWIW I currently am doing back, arms, legs, shoulders, leg, repeat - no rest day. Recovery is fine.

Also - I suspect post-holiday I've lost a fair bit of strength in glutes, but retained them in quads. I feel like I recruit quads more now, so I was thinking of a glute day comprising of (please keep in mind I don't know the names of what I'm talking about):

- Squats
- Hip Extensions
- Wide-stance leg press
- Single leg press on an angle for the glute activation thingy
- Pull Throughs
- Clams
- Sumo Deadlifts...? (Already have normal deads on back day, so unsure if it will be beneficial)

Open to other suggestions.

EDIT: I don't train chest/don't want to start training chest.

You’ve got a few options to choose from.
Typically someone like you (female, low bodyweight) I’d say the more often you’re training something the better.
With the week you’ve outlined this could be a true full body workout every session, a push/pull split (where you train full body each workout but the focus changes session to session) or even with the glute/lower body focus you’ve got a set up where your first workout is legs & upper body pressing then the second is legs & upper body pulling.
I don’t think you particularly need an arms day (the weights you will be using for most isolation exercises will be at the very low end) and would be better off racking on some tricep work to your shoulder day or biceps at the end of back day (as an example).
With the glute day you’ve outlined you double up a bit on exercises which I’m not entirely sure is necessarily. I’d just pick 1 exercise from each of the following categories and do an extra set or 2 and ensure you really get the most out of what you are doing
- big barbell movement (squat or deadlift variation)
- single leg squat, leg press or lunge
- hip extension movement (pull through, back raise, stiff leg deadlift)
- hip abduction movement (clams, abductor machine, band crab walks etc etc)
Then if you wanted you could throw in something like 200 bodyweight glute bridges to finish

You’ve got a few options to choose from.
Typically someone like you (female, low bodyweight) I’d say the more often you’re training something the better.
With the week you’ve outlined this could be a true full body workout every session, a push/pull split (where you train full body each workout but the focus changes session to session) or even with the glute/lower body focus you’ve got a set up where your first workout is legs & upper body pressing then the second is legs & upper body pulling.
I don’t think you particularly need an arms day (the weights you will be using for most isolation exercises will be at the very low end) and would be better off racking on some tricep work to your shoulder day or biceps at the end of back day (as an example).
With the glute day you’ve outlined you double up a bit on exercises which I’m not entirely sure is necessarily. I’d just pick 1 exercise from each of the following categories and do an extra set or 2 and ensure you really get the most out of what you are doing
- big barbell movement (squat or deadlift variation)
- single leg squat, leg press or lunge
- hip extension movement (pull through, back raise, stiff leg deadlift)
- hip abduction movement (clams, abductor machine, band crab walks etc etc)
Then if you wanted you could throw in something like 200 bodyweight glute bridges to finish

Thanks for this - you’re right, I’m probably going to just pick 4 or 5 every leg/glute session and just keep my body guessing. I hear you re: push/pull on the arms, I’ll look into it more and make adjustments.

******* work - ruining my gains.

^^^

maybe alternate training 5am one day, then arvo the next. Or mix it up week to week.

Don't have to set things in stone. Adaptation is crucial in all things in life. Don't get one dimensional. Get yourself into a pool/beach regularly and massage also. Does wonders for the body and mind, it will refresh you in every aspect.

Good luck.

Thanks for this - you’re right, I’m probably going to just pick 4 or 5 every leg/glute session and just keep my body guessing. I hear you re: push/pull on the arms, I’ll look into it more and make adjustments.

******* work - ruining my gains.

If you keep your body guessing all then time it won’t adapt as well compared to being exposed to an increasing level of stimulus (basically you’ll spend your whole time learning exercises rather than your muscles adapting to them)
ie adding 2.5kg to your squat each week you’ll have better outcomes than changing the squat you’re doing session to session (unless you’re purely trying to increase neural drive rather than muscle fibre size).

IMO any time you introduce a new exercise you should milk the s**t out of it eg start with 3*20 and add the minimum you can each week. When you can’t do 3*20 drop to 3*15, then to 3*10 and finally to 3*5. Once you’ve done that, if you opt against specifically periodising that lift, the next time you go do it you’ll only keep it in as long as your natural “progression cycle” ie for me I know exercises I haven’t done in a while I can progress linearly for 3-4 weeks before stalling so I never do them for longer than that

If you keep your body guessing all then time it won’t adapt as well compared to being exposed to an increasing level of stimulus (basically you’ll spend your whole time learning exercises rather than your muscles adapting to them)
ie adding 2.5kg to your squat each week you’ll have better outcomes than changing the squat you’re doing session to session (unless you’re purely trying to increase neural drive rather than muscle fibre size).

IMO any time you introduce a new exercise you should milk the s**t out of it eg start with 3*20 and add the minimum you can each week. When you can’t do 3*20 drop to 3*15, then to 3*10 and finally to 3*5. Once you’ve done that, if you opt against specifically periodising that lift, the next time you go do it you’ll only keep it in as long as your natural “progression cycle” ie for me I know exercises I haven’t done in a while I can progress linearly for 3-4 weeks before stalling so I never do them for longer than that

Interesting. I keep a few exercises constant every leg session - squats, leg press, leg extension, hip thrusts, and leg curl. Apart from these, I'm doing glute variations - maybe 2 or 3 per session, and I rotate between them throughout the week. So you would recommend every session identical, every week?

I’ve never got the whole keep your body guessing thing. My opinion the body wants to do things the easiest way possible, hence why progressive overload is so effective. Your body will adapt to the stress you place it under and get stronger thus making things easier.

Interesting. I keep a few exercises constant every leg session - squats, leg press, leg extension, hip thrusts, and leg curl. Apart from these, I'm doing glute variations - maybe 2 or 3 per session, and I rotate between them throughout the week. So you would recommend every session identical, every week?

I've been doing the same key exercises (back and front squat, deadlift, bench, pull ups, overhead press) for the last 2 months and progress has been good. I throw in the occasional exercise like lateral raises or barbell lunges but generally keep to the same routine.

Changing the weight, number of reps, and shorter/longer rest periods are other ways to add variety.

You can have variation session to session within a week/fortnight, but I’d keep the same week/fortnight for at least a month (if that makes sense).

A really good family friend (younger than my Dad) dropped dead of a heart attack not long ago, I found it so strange that a reasonably healthy man who looks after himself (in terms of regular doc checkups and exercise) could have such serve undiagnosed atherosclerotic plaque/cardio vascular disease.

Gonna watch this doco tonight, goes into some detail about test that can be done to check for CVD before you die

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3470838/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A really good family friend (younger than my Dad) dropped dead of a heart attack not long ago, I found it so strange that a reasonably healthy man who looks after himself (in terms of regular doc checkups and exercise) could have such serve undiagnosed atherosclerotic plaque/cardio vascular disease.

Gonna watch this doco tonight, goes into some detail about test that can be done to check for CVD before you die

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3470838/
Girl at work had a heart attack at 37, some plaque broke off and blocked an artery
She was lucky she was talking to one of the other girls when it happened and the ambulance was called straight away

My Dad died at 39 from a massive heart attack as a result of plaque. He certainly wasn't overweight. Now that I'm nearly 30 and have my own son it's definitely time to sort myself out .

Yeah I have no strict routine either
I'll change it up most days just to keep the body guessing
Plus I get bored with set routines pretty quick

I'll also do things like after doing one set of bench I'll do 20 crunches on the bench in the cage, another bench set , straight into crunches etc
Single bicep curls into Arnold presses etc
Just weird s**t to keep it interesting....I've prob watched too many Fletcher vids

Did you mean that around the other way? Because I know you're not usually one to conform to the mainstream view about high cholesterol.
This

Bazzar pls clarify

Oops, yep the other way. More die of CVD with low cholesterol than high. Not by much, but it shows going all out to lower total cholesterol isn't the be all and end all.

Say what you want about Crossfit, but when the girls competing voluntarily wear this I for one will not be complaining

Remove this Banner Ad

Back