Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he dropped a few that he should have clunked. I'd be bringing Ambrose in over him on Anzac day without blinking.

One thing that gets me is for a guy that struggles to mark why on earth would you rock the long hair and have the added bit of distraction.

I’d like to see us stick with him and try to make a genuine senior player of him. He’s gonna have the thankless job on the no 1 forward every week you’d think, so it’s inevitable he’ll get beaten now and then.

I just think his size makes him the better man for the job over Ambrose. He’s 198/104 vs Ambrose 193/95 - he’s really got the size to play on the gorillas and that’s what we need from this role. If he’s able to play on the full range of opponents incl the really big fellas then it’s more time we won’t have to put Hooker and Hurley into that role and lose their run.

He also has a couple of years in age on Ambrose, there’s a bit more to come from him I think. If can get settled and play every week then it’ll help with consistency - he showed he can do it in the VFL when he was the best key defender in the league the year before we grabbed him.

Jeez the pressure up the field makes such a massive difference. When theres easy, free footy coming in then anybody is going to get beaten by good forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very stiff to get dropped tbh thought he was one of our better players on Anzac Day.

Hartley has the best % as a defender in one on one marking contests. In the league. This season and last season.

Yeh, Hartley was great at fending the ball off from the tall forwards, a bit unlucky.

Hopefully he can just keep a consistent game in the 2nds or in the main team,

If you do that then you'll always be a chance to be picked each week. Keep that mindset, that a VFL game is just as integral as an AFL game and just play confidently if you get good numbers and effective play then you'll always be a chance.

They don't like him.

They don’t like that he’s not attacking enough but how many attacking players do you need in defence I mean he plays his role very well and you know you get that from every time.

The problem our defence has is that most the time it’s getting peppered with opposition attack so hard to get the confidence to rebound unless you are not as accountable to a man or have serious speed.

He is not very good at defending one on one and he rarely provides support for others in the air. Doesn't mark it enough and gets lost when the ball comes in all too often.

His good attributes are his kicking but he just can't get it to use it. He can also spoil when he is in good position which isn't often enough.

I'd say him and Brown are competing for a spot on the list next year and it looks like Brown is preferred but he keeps on getting injured so as with most of our players over the past 15 years, you can eek out a pretty decent career at EFC without needing to perform a hell of a lot.

Very stiff to get dropped tbh thought he was one of our better players on Anzac Day.

Hartley has the best % as a defender in one on one marking contests. In the league. This season and last season.
Nah, reckon he was beaten quite a few times. I'm a big fan but Ambrose was rightly picked ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back