Retired #45: Anthony Munkara - Leaving the club, returning to Tiwi - 7/9

Remove this Banner Ad

You can disagree with everything I’ve said, that’s fine. You also don’t need to drop the ‘you need to get to some games’ line. We can disagree without that. I could say that you agreeing with every decision the club makes is clearly wrong, as we haven’t won a final in nearly 20 years.

McBride was dead set ordinary this year - I recall him having maybe two games where he impacted. The rest, he wouldn’t have been missed if he wasn’t out there.
You could say I agree with every decision the club makes but it would show you do not bother reading anything as I do not agree with everything and have posted that way previously.

You do need to see more live games . That is just how it is . You can not make the call based on low quality streaming and the stats page . You can only see much until you go and watch live and see what happens outside the camera shot . There is even a difference between what you can pick up in the VFL coverage compared to AFL level. I know a lot can not get to the VFL but you do miss a lot if you are not looking at it live. It is not being a smart ass . It is just how it is. You see enough to have some sort of opinion but you do miss a lot.

How many games did McBride get carved up as a defender in ? It was not many. He was not AFL level nor was he top VFL level but he was not a spud at BFL level either and he never squibed a contest. He was worth looking at for a third year because he had a decent go at it and was even willing to play ruck.

Munkara never improved the one thing that saw him slide. His soft efforts during games and no second effort’s. There was zero improvement in that area. I do not think that people can complain about lack of effort in the senior players and then expect to have Munkara side stepping contests and not bothering to put any effort into defending and looking like he belongs in division four seconds a lot of the time despite him having some skill . He is the total opposite to what we need and to be honest there are a few Next Gen players at Calder this year who will have more chance of being something as Cat B rookies.

You basically need to want to compete. If he actually used some of his pace to chase and pressure and attempt the basics then we are not here right now.

Last edited:

Wouldn't make sense to give such a talented but raw project only 10 months in a club environment and then give up on him. I assumed his call to go tiwi and keep playing with tippa but if he was keen to stay in Melbourne and this actually is the clubs decision to delist him its really bad imo.
The bloke has to want to compete . Last year was the same for him. Totally uncompetitive to the point of being a liability . They hoped that getting him into the AFL system and working hard on his fitness and pairing him up with other players to do so could maximize his talent . It did not. Despite playing a good 10 minutes here and a good 5 minutes there he did not improve at all as a competitor. He did not improve at all in his willingness to defend and he simply did not do the basics. He could use his speed to chase and pressure but he did not. His fitness levels improved but where well below the level. Talent takes you so far. he had the perfect mentor in Walla to model his play on but did not try to do it. He will bob up in the NT league doing some flashy things but that will be his level.

You could say I agree with every decision the club makes but it would show you do not bother reading anything as I do not agree with everything and have posted that way previously.

You do need to see more live games . That is just how it is . You can not make the call based on low quality streaming and the stats page . You can only see much until you go and watch live and see what happens outside the camera shot . There is even a difference between what you can pick up in the VFL coverage compared to AFL level. I know a lot can not get to the VFL but you do miss a lot if you are not looking at it live. It is not being a smart ass . It is just how it is. You see enough to have some sort of opinion but you do miss a lot.

How many games did McBride get carved up as a defender in ? It was not many. He was not AFL level nor was he top VFL level but he was not a spud at BFL level either and he never squibed a contest. He was worth looking at for a third year because he had a decent go at it and was even willing to play ruck.

Munkara never improved the one thing that saw him slide. His soft efforts during games and no second effort’s. There was zero improvement in that area. I do not think that people can complain about lack of effort in the senior players and then expect to have Munkara side stepping contests and not bothering to put any effort into defending and looking like he belongs in division four seconds a lot of the time despite him having some skill . He is the total opposite to what we need and to be honest there are a few Next Gen players at Calder this year who will have more chance of being something as Cat B rookies.

You basically need to want to compete. If he actually used some of his pace to chase and pressure and attempt the basics then we are not here right now.

Fair enough if that’s your view - and there’s probably some merit to it (only went to 2 VFL this year), it just came across a bit cocky.

I did also say that Montgomerie would get delisted and you said I ‘needed to get to more VFL games’, or something along those lines. So just because you attend more VFL games than someone else, doesn’t automatically make you right.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the delisting, I’ve said many times his form is/was VFL standard at best (currently/by the end of the year). Delisting an 18 year old still comes across as strange to me, soft or not.

If he goes back and plays in the NT, I hope we send someone up there in two or three years and see how he's playing. Frontal lobe development is a thing. Give him a heads up at the start of 2025 that we'll be up having a look at the end of the year, and we'd need to see x, y and z. We should have done the same with Mozzie.

Cut throat business, but I'd prefer the club was doing this than clogging the list.

Fair enough if that’s your view - and there’s probably some merit to it (only went to 2 VFL this year), it just came across a bit cocky.

I did also say that Montgomerie would get delisted and you said I ‘needed to get to more VFL games’, or something along those lines. So just because you attend more VFL games than someone else, doesn’t automatically make you right.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the delisting, I’ve said many times his form is/was VFL standard at best (currently/by the end of the year). Delisting an 18 year old still comes across as strange to me, soft or not.
The Monty decision is one I do not agree with but it is not a major issue. Think Monty was the victim of Heppell staying which I do not agree with.

As far as one for Munkara. If you bring a bloke in on the proviso he works on improving his competitiveness and he doesn’t what choice do you have ?
He was always teamed up with other players to do the running so they could provide support. He had Walla working with him . The risk with rookies is high . Like I have said there are a few in our NGA that may be better prospects and there are also some Irish players who are attending the combine.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its sad to see him go but I think if Ant is right and he hasn't really shown an improvement in effort at least particulatly with Walla there to guide then I'd lean towards letting him go as big as an upside as he had if it could put the talent to use

It's frustrating because the track record says 18 years is too young for these boys from really remote areas.

Tippa was drafted 4th or 5th year by age.

He's a different beast and even Mosquito was in the sense that they were comfortable in close.

Difference there is that Munkara is a 6'2 rake. His endurance sucks. Physical contact of itself is exhausting and requires its own level of endurance. It's hard to put your most competitive foot forward in that context. I also think that timing/lack of a read of the game can make things looks worse than they are.

Either way I am dissatisfied. If Mukara has walked he shouldn't be at the point he needs to make that decision. I'd leave him on the Tiwi until he's 20-21. If we've delisted him, then you do need to query the point. There weren't any surprises this season, were there?

So we wasted our time, glad you agree. 12 months lol, surprised he didn't win a brownlow
lmao

I would simply get Dododororo to look into the future and only pick players who will play 200+ games.

e
z

I'm honestly not sure why no one has thought of this before now

6.3 on debut in his return to the NTFL, playing for Waratah, not Tiwi.

Keep watching the skies
In a comp that you can just run around and do your own thing. 🙂

Don't be sad, be glad.
He's playing footy. Positive choice 👍

Sadness is Liam Jurrah part 2.

Yep, professional footy might not have been for the guy but it's good he's staying in the sport enjoying what he's doing still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back