Retired #45: Anthony Munkara - Leaving the club, returning to Tiwi - 7/9

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Tex is on shaky grounds as well.
yeah i’ve heard he was also unprepared for the rigours of an AFL lifestyle and his pull to the comforts of his northern adelaide lifestyle is very strong

ant555 Just out of curiousity, had things gone well what type of player did you envision him as?
If he attacked the footy a bit more something similar to Kosi Pickett but I was never really sold on him as the times I saw him after those couple of early games he was the same as he is now. Did not like the contest. Actually did not even chase the footy or want it at times.

A little bit surprising for me. He's nowhere near it right now, but I thought he improved quite a bit on the start of the year. Has some genuine flashes of freakish ability.

Oh well, that's what Cat B's are best use for imo - a bit of a hail Mary type swing.

Someone has posted elsewhere that they have spoken to Anthony themselves and the club was the one that has cut ties. Anthony wanted a new contract and was told no. Not sure how true but that's what he said. Interesting if that's the case.

You'd have to think this decision wasn't based on on-field performance alone. Like people have said he was definitely improving and you'd think has the natural freakish talent to warrant at least another year on the Cat B rookie list. Have to wonder if he just doesn't have the attitude/commitment/professionalism that Scott thinks is necessary to make it.

You'd have to think this decision wasn't based on on-field performance alone. Like people have said he was definitely improving and you'd think has the natural freakish talent to warrant at least another year on the Cat B rookie list. Have to wonder if he just doesn't have the attitude/commitment/professionalism that Scott thinks is necessary to make it.
Peoples saying he improved well yes he did. Went from 1/10 to 2/10 .
Fact is he still spent 80 % of the game not going for the footy and avoiding body contact.
You can not complain about the senior side being soft and the question why we have not kept then softest player on the list .

Fact is he still spent 80 % of the game not going for the footy and avoiding body contact.
You can not complain about the senior side being soft and the question why we have not kept then softest player on the list .
With all Scott has said about players and the AFL lifestyle,

Surely they don't cut him unless they're chasing someone else. Unless he was reeeeeally that bad.
Or if he retired I guess.

With McBride gone there's already room on the Cat B list so I'd have to assume we're either bringing in two NGAs with limited prospects, an Irishman or Munkara doesn't wanna do it anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not overly surprised from what I saw of him and what I have read.

Like Lord,Munkara didn't even look close to a VFL level player.

Not overly surprised from what I saw of him and what I have read.

Like Lord,Munkara didn't even look close to a VFL level player.
Munkara made Lord look like Tim Watson.

This is a disappointing one but he barely even showed flashes at VFL level

Surely the recruiters had an idea how far away he was before committing?

Must be 100 better options that are closer to AFL level,

Absolutely they would have. But he had a couple of games at U/18 I think he showed out in that makes it worth the Cat B list.

I’d have gone 1 more year, but the club knows more about where is development at.

There would've been expectations around consistency of commitment by the player to the cause, and clearly he has struggled.

I wonder if the club made the decision hot on the heels of Walla's retirement. If he hasn't got a senior indigenous player to look up to, then next year might be harder for him. I know Paddy Ryder is supposed to have a role to play here but still not sure what that entails.

Was a high risk, high reward player. The things he could do were exceptional. The kind of guy the Cat B list is intended for really, long shot projects from alternative sports or backgrounds.

Has this been announced yet?

No reason not to unless we're trying to sort something out.

Give him a year off. Apply for a deactivation of the list spot.

This is exactly what Rendell was talking about all of those years ago. 18 is too young to take these kids from their communities.

Maybe clubs need to be able to prelist, no questions asked, until these cat Bs turn 21. The AFL could always oversee to satisfy itself there is no abuse, though I am not sure what purpose stockpiling deactivated rookies playing in the NT would serve.

We've already lost the talent of Mosquito to the game. There were a stack of deficiencies in Munkara's game but that's part of the project.

This is a square peg we're not going to fit into a round hole.

I would rather we keep him. Low possessions but high skill. Not everyone can be an accumulator like Heppell or Parish, especially in their first year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back