Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I really struggle to see how Smith cops so much derision and often from those who wildly praise Shaz. At the moment their strengths and weaknesses seem identical to me.

Shaz kills Smith as an intercept player, aerially and reading the play. An intercept player may not get the same kind of plaudits as a contested mid but it's another way to win possession off the opposition and it's very important. Smith doesn't do that which means he's only in play when we already have the ball. It's a pretty big distinction between them as players and makes Shaz far more valueable.

Shaz kills Smith as an intercept player, aerially and reading the play. An intercept player may not get the same kind of plaudits as a contested mid but it's another way to win possession off the opposition and it's very important. Smith doesn't do that which means he's only in play when we already have the ball. It's a pretty big distinction between them as players and makes Shaz far more valueable.
I'd argue from what I've seen Shaz intercept stats are of the drop off the contest and get the uncontested ones from miskicks out of congestion variety of intercept . It's good play reading but I'm yet to see the aerial strength that you and others write about. Without looking at any stats I dare say Smith gets a fair few of those style of intercept too.

Cool. I value your opinion too. Your knee-jerk tendency to defend each and every club action with the ardent vigor of a North Korean public relations officer; your constant use of some of the most specious reasoning to be encountered outside a first year cultural studies class; your steadfast continuation in some of your opinions in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, not to mention bemused amazement of those watching, and most of all your default to aggression, bluster and ridicule for anyone with a contrary opinion make you a source of truth one can only aspire to. We truly are in the presence of greatness. Chapeau.
This is possibly one of the most elegant roasts I have ever read, thank you.

The greatest of all Appelbys.

Oh, to reach such heights...

I love the optimism on this guy and from all reports things are sounding good. But, i have to be the one to ask. If he is so good why did no one pick him up in the National Draft and why did he slide into the rookie draft?

To be fair to play as a lockdown defender and even be considered to be drafted is an amazing feat. Usually you automatically cross out lockdown defenders and taggers.

I think his versatility is what got him across the line, because Kirby, Miers, Brander and a lesser extent the undrafted D’Arcy are all very different players and he beat them all. It showed he can adapt to his opponent and not just rely on one way of beating them like some defenders. That, and his character (top bloke and Pies love that) was a big tick.

His best form came after combine invites but both us and Freo were keen so he was a late call up to the Rookie me combine where he did very well.

He’s not eye-catching or exciting, not one you’re likely to write home about, but more likely to think “Is Opposition Player X playing today?” And it was Appleby who played on him. Think of him like a more well rounded Toovey. Not as quick, but elite endurance and much more reliable by foot.

You’ll know what you get from him each week and whether that’s enough to forge a career is yet to be seen, but he will be doing everything to make it happen.

Ni

nice post , and maybe I do go too hard , but anyway
Quick question for you
Logically If you don't know the cost of something HOW do you ascertain if its fair value?
Thoughts on that?
Bag the trade why not Save it mate , just pointing out that some are really going early on him, without knowing what he brings, what he cost or what we missed , smart play is see what happens and don't value something without knowing the cost
So far we know he came 3 rd in a highly respected senior country league where he dominated ( full of ex afl players)
Pointed that Fact out , to be told its a rubbish comp by some on here
Pointed out he's been referred to us as well by 2 previous respected coaches
Draft gurus have even said that no one was at his level in that spot in this years recent draft and he was a good get
Hines pointed out that the swap of picks really means nothing or at least not as much impact and is being proven correct so far with nga , father son ect certainly at this early stage
By the way what overwhelming evidence apart from the above is relevant

To be fair I don't think people are questioning his acquisition. People are questioning the price we paid for him which was a second round draft with exchanges of lower down draft picks. Hine explained the exchangers of draft picks which from my understanding gives the club an accumulation of points needed to recruit some of our academy choice players next year, but I think you need to be a Rhodes scholar to understand what it really means.

Meanwhile we have on our books three players who play on the half back line. All three are different and there's a question about how they fit into the side. First you have Murray, who's pacy with a good left foot and who can provide linkage and rebound off the back line. There's no question that we lack these sorts of players, so that's a tick for the club, even if it doesn't work out for Murray. Then we have Smith who's been with us a couple of years now and has proved to be a useful runner for us. I would question Smith's ability for his one on one play and his kicking ability, but what he brings to the table is a player who runs just as hard at the end of the game as he does at the start of the day.

Thirdly you have Appleby who comes at a cheap price, who comes across as good defensively and a good mark, who is still very young and has potential to keep improving. Of the three, Appleby could turn out to be the best of the three, but at this stage last year, Mackie was showing a lot of promise in the preseason and look at how that turned out. Until players perform under match play, it's difficult to assess how the players are going to go.

He’s not eye-catching or exciting, not one you’re likely to write home about, but more likely to think “Is Opposition Player X playing today?” And it was Appleby who played on him. Think of him like a more well rounded Toovey. Not as quick, but elite endurance and much more reliable by foot.

You’ll know what you get from him each week and whether that’s enough to forge a career is yet to be seen, but he will be doing everything to make it happen.
Sounds like a Nick Smith type. Its not like we couldn't use one of him

To be fair I don't think people are questioning his acquisition. People are questioning the price we paid for him which was a second round draft with exchanges of lower down draft picks. Hine explained the exchangers of draft picks which from my understanding gives the club an accumulation of points needed to recruit some of our academy choice players next year, but I think you need to be a Rhodes scholar to understand what it really means.

Meanwhile we have on our books three players who play on the half back line. All three are different and there's a question about how they fit into the side. First you have Murray, who's pacy with a good left foot and who can provide linkage and rebound off the back line. There's no question that we lack these sorts of players, so that's a tick for the club, even if it doesn't work out for Murray. Then we have Smith who's been with us a couple of years now and has proved to be a useful runner for us. I would question Smith's ability for his one on one play and his kicking ability, but what he brings to the table is a player who runs just as hard at the end of the game as he does at the start of the day.

Thirdly you have Appleby who comes at a cheap price, who comes across as good defensively and a good mark, who is still very young and has potential to keep improving. Of the three, Appleby could turn out to be the best of the three, but at this stage last year, Mackie was showing a lot of promise in the preseason and look at how that turned out. Until players perform under match play, it's difficult to assess how the players are going to go.

Great post
No doubt Sam brings something we lack desperately
Swans don't know the cost , hine doesn't, no one does
At least to round 23 this year and then at draft night
At this point it's going to be 40 to 50 ish , cheap for a potential key player
LOW RISK TRADE

Great post
No doubt Sam brings something we lack desperately
Swans don't know the cost , hine doesn't, no one does
At least to round 23 this year and then at draft night
At this point it's going to be 40 to 50 ish , cheap for a potential key player
LOW RISK TRADE
We know what it cost so far which is a second round pick, whilst we did get a third round pick back this was not the draft to lose any picks/points in because we are going to need them in order to pick up Quanor and Will Kelly, with also the possibility of Liam Holt-Fitz.
If we use the example of this seasons picks, before counting academy and father son selections our second round pick would have been pick 25 with a value of 756 points, Sydney's third round pick was pick 49 with a value of 287 points, this means we lose 469 points the equivalent of pick 38.
The other part of this is that Murray has never played a game and was a catagory B rookie who before the trade period was offered another year on the rookie list which even with the recent rookie changes wouldn't have meant he could be upgraded straight away unless there was a long term injury (only catagory A can play from round 1). Sydney only changed their contract offer once Collingwood's interest was known (smart move).
With only using these arguments (because it's 12:30am where I am and I want to go to bed) it's very arguable that we have paid higher than what we should have for Murray.

Will he be worth the 10 k fine
Came down with his mate from Ballarat to play vfl
Must have shown a lot to get a spot
Wasn't listed / permitted due to being not considered at time of lodgement
Took Ramas spot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really good today. Good speed, skill and endurance. Not easily beaten in the air or when the ball comes to ground. Very good story to come out of the game today. Expecting him to retain his spot.

I don't think that this thread will be complete without a s***fight about how many draft picks we gave up for him. I think we were completely f***** over by giving up pick 6 in the rookie draft for Flynn!

Please discuss.

Forgot about that tackle on Cotchin, I reckon it hurt him too. Cotchin likes to retaliate if man handle but nothing. Gold!

I said it in another thread, but I'll say it again, Flynn > Langdon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back