Player Watch Flynn Appleby (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he will play the most games of our debutants. He looks a competent cog for a position we lack. And I think he may make the Murray trade look even more wtf than it is.
Murray and Appleby are still both needs in the backline and won’t get in the way of each other imo. Murray breaks the lines and rolls the dice with his kicking. Appleby is more your traditional small lock down defender. He’ll wear the small forwards like a glove and give less rebound.

I think he will play the most games of our debutants. He looks a competent cog for a position we lack. And I think he may make the Murray trade look even more wtf than it is.
I still don’t mind the Murray acquisition but I do wish it cost us less because he isn’t close to a proven player, I feel he could provide reasonable depth with the potential to be a mainstay. I agree with you on Appleby though, the back pocket position is open for the taking and it looks to me like he’s going to snatch it and hold onto it. If he can be dependable with his disposal that would be a huge bonus.

Good call.

I'm not a Murray fan, reminds me too much of Caolan Mooney.

I'm firmly in the Appleby camp.

Of course I have to put the BF caveat/get out clause, "I hope I'm wrong."

I see him and Smith fighting for the position down back if there's an injury or two.

But he might be surprise at that.

Hardly fair that Smith has to compete for a position with someone with a bit of toe and 1v1 defensive ability.

Hardly fair that Smith has to compete for a position with someone with a bit of toe and 1v1 defensive ability.
He'd lose that battle accordingly

I really struggle to see how Smith cops so much derision and often from those who wildly praise Shaz. At the moment their strengths and weaknesses seem identical to me.

I really struggle to see how Smith cops so much derision and often from those who wildly praise Shaz. At the moment their strengths and weaknesses seem identical to me.

Nah, Schaz has talent, can read the play, can take a pack mark, can hold his own generally in 1v1 contests, and is coming of 3 years lost to injury, Smith is a good ordinary footballer who lacks 1v1 defensive ability and doesn't have any excuses.

Ha ha ha
You realise we're been looking at Sam since 2015?
Think the club are on top of this and feel twoomey is on the money
He was Referred by CRESSWELL, shaw both ex coaches, perfect list fit
Wtf you reckon, please list the first year players taken between 40 to 50 who have starred straight away
Got any , if you have it won't be many
Save your knee jerk reactions, revisit at end of year AFTER we know the REAL cost
2015 3rd in ovens and Murray senior league b/ f , identified by opposition as a young gun
2016 local zone pick up swans plays forward
2017 moves down back, makes NEAFL team of year , tagged by opposition , stolen by collingwood
Better resume than most

Last edited:
Ha ha ha
You realise we're been looking at Sam since 2015?
Think the club are on top of this and feel twoomey is on the money
He was Referred by CRESSWELL, shaw both ex coaches, perfect list fit
Wtf you reckon, please list the first year players taken between 40 to 50 who have starred straight away
Got any , if you have it won't be many
Save your knee jerk reactions, revisit at end of year AFTER we know the REAL cost
2015 3rd in ovens and Murray senior league b/ f , identified by opposition as a young gun
2016 local zone pick up swans plays forward
2017 moves down back, makes NEAFL team of year , tagged by opposition , stolen by collingwood
Better resume than most

Cool. I value your opinion too. Your knee-jerk tendency to defend each and every club action with the ardent vigor of a North Korean public relations officer; your constant use of some of the most specious reasoning to be encountered outside a first year cultural studies class; your steadfast continuation in some of your opinions in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, not to mention bemused amazement of those watching, and most of all your default to aggression, bluster and ridicule for anyone with a contrary opinion make you a source of truth one can only aspire to. We truly are in the presence of greatness. Chapeau.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ni
Cool. I value your opinion too. Your knee-jerk tendency to defend each and every club action with the ardent vigor of a North Korean public relations officer; your constant use of some of the most specious reasoning to be encountered outside a first year cultural studies class; your steadfast continuation in some of your opinions in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, not to mention bemused amazement of those watching, and most of all your default to aggression, bluster and ridicule for anyone with a contrary opinion make you a source of truth one can only aspire to. We truly are in the presence of greatness. Chapeau.

nice post , and maybe I do go too hard , but anyway
Quick question for you
Logically If you don't know the cost of something HOW do you ascertain if its fair value?
Thoughts on that?
Bag the trade why not Save it mate , just pointing out that some are really going early on him, without knowing what he brings, what he cost or what we missed , smart play is see what happens and don't value something without knowing the cost
So far we know he came 3 rd in a highly respected senior country league where he dominated ( full of ex afl players)
Pointed that Fact out , to be told its a rubbish comp by some on here
Pointed out he's been referred to us as well by 2 previous respected coaches
Draft gurus have even said that no one was at his level in that spot in this years recent draft and he was a good get
Hines pointed out that the swap of picks really means nothing or at least not as much impact and is being proven correct so far with nga , father son ect certainly at this early stage
By the way what overwhelming evidence apart from the above is relevant

I love the optimism on this guy and from all reports things are sounding good. But, i have to be the one to ask. If he is so good why did no one pick him up in the National Draft and why did he slide into the rookie draft?
Probably the position he plays, don’t think lock down defenders are the most sought out players when it comes to the draft. Rockliff slid out of the national draft even after a big performance in the TAC cup grand final.
Hungry defenders that came off the rookie list were a key ingredient to our last premiership so hopefully it works out for him

I don't see them as similar, but I'd have Smith in the team over Shcarenberg atm. Scharenberg strengths are reading the flight of the ball in the air. Smith is much more agile, quicker and a pretty good user. I don't really understand how he became maligned. Pretty steady player.

Nah, Schaz has talent, can read the play, can take a pack mark, can hold his own generally in 1v1 contests, and is coming of 3 years lost to injury, Smith is a good ordinary footballer who lacks 1v1 defensive ability and doesn't have any excuses.

I've heard these claims a lot for Schaz, but yet to see any evidence of it. Hopefully you're right and attributes that he may have shown at lower levels can transfer to AFL level. At the moment, I see them both as predominately uncontested link players. I prefer Smith's game style a bit because he is more inclined to run to receive in a dangerous position, Schaz on the other hand, tends to lurk behind the ball looking for cheapies. On the plus side, Schaz is much more composed with the ball in hand, albeit much more conservative and safe.

I've heard these claims a lot for Schaz, but yet to see any evidence of it. Hopefully you're right and attributes that he may have shown at lower levels can transfer to AFL level. At the moment, I see them both as predominately uncontested link players. I prefer Smith's game style a bit because he is more inclined to run to receive in a dangerous position, Schaz on the other hand, tends to lurk behind the ball looking for cheapies. On the plus side, Schaz is much more composed with the ball in hand, albeit much more conservative and safe.
Agreed on lack of performances on the board but FFS most players would have simply taken up volleyball or something after the astonishing array and duration of his physical setbacks.
I have no issue with the wait and see attitude as it's only common sense but the dismissive attitude from some drives me to surmise that they never had heavy and persistent setbacks in their lives.

I love the optimism on this guy and from all reports things are sounding good. But, i have to be the one to ask. If he is so good why did no one pick him up in the National Draft and why did he slide into the rookie draft?
That's a fair question.
As I understand he was in a group of borderline types that either just squeeze in the big draft (because clubs just want or are prepared to take the punt on two years and not lose the player) or just miss out (because clubs think maybe not two years or we just have a better option), so well look elsewhere.

He will be interesting.

That's a fair question.
As I understand he was in a group of borderline types that either just squeeze in the big draft (because clubs just want or are prepared to take the punt on two years and not lose the player) or just miss out (because clubs think maybe not two years or we just have a better option), so well look elsewhere.

He will be interesting.

He's also (reportedly) a position and style specific type of player so how many clubs were looking for a lock down small-medium defender urgently enough to merit taking him in the ND? Even we'd traded in Murray pre-draft which reduced our need. Carlton is a club which may have been more interested if they'd known Docherty was going to blow out a knee.

He's also (reportedly) a position and style specific type of player so how many clubs were looking for a lock down small-medium defender urgently enough to merit taking him in the ND? Even we'd traded in Murray pre-draft which reduced our need. Carlton is a club which may have been more interested if they'd known Docherty was going to blow out a knee.

We mustn't have rated him particularly highly either, as we had the opportunity to add him to the main list, but instead chose to risk missing him in order to rookie him, assumedly because we didn't think he was worth giving a 2 year contract.

We mustn't have rated him particularly highly either, as we had the opportunity to add him to the main list, but instead chose to risk missing him in order to rookie him, assumedly because we didn't think he was worth giving a 2 year contract.

Not sure it was as much about how we rated him as it was about ensuring flexibility coming into the trade/FA period this year.

Probably the position he plays, don’t think lock down defenders are the most sought out players when it comes to the draft. Rockliff slid out of the national draft even after a big performance in the TAC cup grand final.
Hungry defenders that came off the rookie list were a key ingredient to our last premiership so hopefully it works out for him
Rockliff slid because he was a known prick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back