Remove this Banner Ad

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who do you choose ?
We are in the Grand Final again against Richmond, who gets that last spot.
Lots of talk about the two wingman.
Both guys run both ways, Rat has the flashy 'skilled' game or Knights who has that hard edge but doesn't find the ball as often.

The WB final gets Knighter in for me, even though that was a while ago but I haven't seen Atkins have a better final yet.

What do you think ?

Assuming the choice is between those two players only for a single spot...

...Knight

He is my choice every single second of every single day of every single month of every single year of every single century of every single millennium from now until the collapse of the universe.

Assuming the choice is between those two players only for a single spot...

...Knight

He is my choice every single second of every single day of every single month of every single year of every single century of every single millennium from now until the collapse of the universe.

Wow, I'm not sure Knights will be able to play that long, but it sounds like he is a fair way in front of the Rat

Depends what the rest of the line up is.

2018 First XXII
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Lynch Walker Knight
Atkins Gibbs Seedsman
- Jacobs MCrouch Sloane
Laird Hartigan Smith
Brown Talia Doedee
| Douglas BCrouch Milera Kelly

I’d love some extra forward pressure through Gallucci and love what Greenwood offers but it’s bloody hard to fit them in.

Brad Crouch being fit is a huge question mark while Kelly could be under threat given Mitch’s ability to swing back if needed. Feels like we’ll never have a full fit list anyway...

Depends what the rest of the line up is.

2018 First XXII
Betts Jenkins McGovern
Lynch Walker Knight
Atkins Gibbs Seedsman
- Jacobs MCrouch Sloane
Laird Hartigan Smith
Brown Talia Doedee
| Douglas BCrouch Milera Kelly

I’d love some extra forward pressure through Gallucci and love what Greenwood offers but it’s bloody hard to fit them in.

Brad Crouch being fit is a huge question mark while Kelly could be under threat given Mitch’s ability to swing back if needed. Feels like we’ll never have a full fit list anyway...

So you have Mackay, Gallucci & Otten missing out at this stage.
It will be interesting to see what part Brodie Smith has this year.
Can he be our finals wild card ?
I don't hold out too much hope for BC this year, if we get anything from him this year, it will be a bonus.

Result of the poll aside, whoever the selection committee believes will be better in a final should be selected first in the minor round. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

For some people that will come down to Knight’s harder edge, for others it will be the spread Atkins can provide on a bigger ground like the ‘G.

Knight gets the nod from me, for his harder edge. Particularly with the direction the game is heading in now, you need that across your whole 22 to win a flag.

Result of the poll aside, whoever the selection committee believes will be better in a final should be selected first in the minor round. That’s what it’s all about, after all.

For some people that will come down to Knight’s harder edge, for others it will be the spread Atkins can provide on a bigger ground like the ‘G.

Knight gets the nod from me, for his harder edge. Particularly with the direction the game is heading in now, you need that across your whole 22 to win a flag.

I thought you were sitting on the fence there, until knights gets the nod there.
But did you vote for Knights ?

I think West Coast are more likely, they've always had that slight mental edge over us.

Our clutch players/players who can handle it: McGovern, Greenwood, Sloane, Crouchs, Laird, Talia

Who cannot handle it: Jenkins, Atkins, MacKay, Walker, Betts

Atkins is just pathetic under pressure so by default Knight. Not Knights biggest fan but he needs an injury free run. Just seems like a role player who doesn't excel, does whats expected or just below. Based on the pre season I think Murphy deserves a shot. Gallucci too.

Toronto benched their "superstar" in a finals game (he was getting MVP chants during the year) and they almost beat Lebron if not for a buzzer beater. If we have a tough first round of finals and Atkins doesn't show up, the coaches need to react.

Murphy started the season off really well.
Another hammy.
Can he make his way back into the team, probably not now after what Gallucci has done.
WC are strong at home at the moment, it will be interesting to see where they finish

The other guy I find disappearing in finals is Lynch, good in space but struggles when it is congested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For us to win we need Atkins playing well. Hopefully the Sydney game was the start of him delivering when it counts. We've got a string of tough games in the second half of the year. If "finals Atkins" shows up again during those games he needs to go.

Atkins is simply hopeless in finals

His finals last year against GWS and Geelong were perfectly acceptable. Good games.

My vote is for Atkins. Both Atkins and Knight need to kick on this year, but Rat has far more runs on the board imo. He is the better wingman and being left footed helps with Seeds a right footer. Any other position on the ground and I would prefer Knight.

Don't see them vying for the same position really.
Atkins could be our Isaac Smith if he put his mind to it. Knights is a hard edged run with player, a Robert Shirley with more grunt, or possibly a pressure forward when we need one. They both need to improve though to get a finals gig.

Which Atkins? The Atkins that got caught in the headlights and had a shocker - or the Atkins that has been through that ordeal and now understands what is needed in finals? Because the current Atkins is a lot better equiped than the old one.

If we are talking about Atkins or Knight, that's a role decision ... and I think there is space for both.

So you have Mackay, Gallucci & Otten missing out at this stage.
It will be interesting to see what part Brodie Smith has this year.
Can he be our finals wild card ?
I don't hold out too much hope for BC this year, if we get anything from him this year, it will be a bonus.

Yep. I don’t think anyone would have Otten in their preferred starting line up?

Mackay has been ‘good’ this year but isn’t in my XXII if everyone is fit; that just never happens.

Agree on BCrouch; anything he adds this year is a bonus. I’m holding onto a glimmer of hope that we’re running him through a complete groin/ab strength program similar to Seedsman last year, which is delivering for us now.

Last edited:
Not sure you can just bag Atkins for not showing up in that GF, at least 20 didn't and Knights is in that group.

In saying that, it is time to move on, it was a s**t day but yeah, 7 months on is time for all lessons to be learnt and move on, not keep dragging it up targeting individuals like it was just them that caused us to lose on the day.

Back