Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

They used the word “medication” in error instead of meditation.

Haere Ra
Waiting for someone to jump on it and suggest that Richmond are using performance enhancing substances

He’s doing absolutely nothing to convince me that he’s going to be a quality contributor in finals. That’s another high intensity game for the same result.
If we're putting a line through players who didn't stand up today there are about 16 who are done.

And how many players played well in those games? Like max 6?

Well the vast majority of the players playing this year are premiership players so already have runs on the board. And a lot more than six have played well in games against Pies, North and West Coast. Adelaide we had a lot of down players and if memory serves Conca was in the bottom 4 players in that game, but was playing defence so I wasn’t going to include it.

If we're putting a line through players who didn't stand up today there are about 16 who are done.

At what point did my statement sound like I was judging him purely on today’s game? I’ve clearly said “another game” and his body of work so far this season is showing that when the heat is on, his performances overall have gone down. He had 2 tackles, that’s meant to be his strength. His and our biggest strength is meant to be tackling and playing inside. He had 2 tackles. For an inside mid that is pathetic and if that’s an indication of his performance in finals then we need someone better.

Sadly if it’s going on order of merit on current form if he’s getting dropped then we will need about 12 to come in.

Good to see the usual Conca bashers... 2 tackles only, even though he leads our tackle count overall for the season. Martin 0, Graham 2, Lambert 1, Edwards 0, Lloyd 0, Houli 0, MacIntosh 0.... etc

Are you trying to tell me that Martin, Graham, Lambert, Houli and Edwards haven’t proved themselves in finals? Cos that’s the argument with Conca. Is he going to stand up in finals? Can only go by what he’s showing this season and so far the answer looks like no.

Are you trying to tell me that Martin, Graham, Lambert, Houli and Edwards haven’t proved themselves in finals? Cos that’s the argument with Conca. Is he going to stand up in finals? Can only go by what he’s showing this season and so far the answer looks like no.
To be honest though we had blokes stand up in finals last season that never looked likely, so it’s hypothetical nonsense that counts for nothing.
You just take each week as it comes.

No that is a separate argument, I'm arguing just that quoting a lack of tackles by Conca yesterday was a bit cheap. Haven't watched the game yet, so no argument re his game.

One things certain and that's we've seen they're best and how difficult it is to play them if they're playing to their strengths, on their home ground.
West coast have had about 15 min of good play from us to have a look at us.
Even considering how we came back in the second we still a have lot more growth to playing our best than they have...and they have to come to the G to be premiers.
The race is long and we've just finished a third of it, we need to aim to hit our best in 10 weeks....not now

One things certain and that's we've seen they're best and how difficult it is to play them if they're playing to their strengths, on their home ground.
Even considering how we came back in the second we still a have lot more growth to playing our best than they have...and they have to come to the G to be premiers.
The race is long and we've just finished a third of it, we need to aim to hit our best in 10 weeks....not now
yes it's a fine line trying to stay near the top of the afl ladder and being fresh and ready for the pointy end of the season...

Wrong bloody thread....whoops

Back