Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I love deadlifts. We have an app that tells us what workout we'll be doing that day. I always make sure I go on deadlift day.

Tried OHPs after flat bench and incline dumbells yesterday. Damn sore shoulders today, concerned about recovery.

Thinking I'll have to either dial back one of the chest movements or change up the routine, doing both chest exercises pre-OHP doesn't seem to agree with me.

Tried OHPs after flat bench and incline dumbells yesterday. Damn sore shoulders today, concerned about recovery.

Thinking I'll have to either dial back one of the chest movements or change up the routine, doing both chest exercises pre-OHP doesn't seem to agree with me.

I hear you with that, I could do much more on the day but between work and two little ones my recovery is pretty much constantly in a compromised state and the fatigue doesn't take long to accumulate when I'm not getting enough sleep.

Now days I'm happy to try and increase 2 lifts at a time while putting the others on the back burner doing them just enough to maintain strength.

The volume on some these intermediate programs looks like heaps to me and I'm not sure how i'd go in them.

I train at home though so will have to buy one online, not looking at spending too much, found this one that has the cambers at the correct angle, rather than parallel with the handles;

https://fitnesschoice.com.au/index.php/titanium-usa-safety-squat-bar.html

So I was about to pull the trigger on this and thought I'd check with them first that cambers and handles are actually at different angles as per photo, lucky I check because they aren't and the photo's wrong, they run parallel to each other.

All these entry level $200 SSBs seem to be the same.

Anyone know if it makes much of a difference whether the cambers are pointed down or down and forward at about 40 degrees?

Bit of a lengthy watch, but people's thoughts on this? Joe Rogan and Firas Zahabi (co-founder of Tristar Gym in Canada, and trainer of MMA legend George St Pierre), talking volume and consistency vs. intensity.

Is it better to go at 50% more consistently, and leave a bit in the tank for tomorrow, rather than balls-to-the-wall just to feel like you're training hard, but burn yourself out?

Seems obvious when you think about it, but it's easy to get caught up in the "I'm not doing enough/not going hard enough" mindset when you don't completely drain yourself, especially when doing things like legs.

Last edited:

Bit of a lengthy watch, but people's thoughts on this? Joe Rogan and Firas Zahabi (co-founder of Tristar Gym in Canada, and trainer of MMA legend George St Pierre), talking volume and consistency vs. intensity.

Is it better to go at 50% more consistently, and leave a bit in the tank for tomorrow, rather than balls-to-the-wall just to feel like you're training hard, but burn yourself out?

Seems obvious when you think about it, but it's easy to get caught up in the "I'm not doing enough/not going hard enough" mindset when you don't completely drain yourself, especially when doing things like legs.

Great post, I listened to it a few days ago as well. Really interesting to hear this method of training as it somewhat goes against other "science" that I've heard before and opens up some new questions. Most boot camp styled classes are based on exerting yourself as well aren't they?

Using his pull up example of doing 5 each day, I've heard many people advocate having a 48 hour rest period before training the same muscle group again i.e. Chest on Monday, don't train chest again until Wednesday, while Firas is saying consecutive days of pull ups/same muscle group is fine due to not doing as much?

Let's say if you were trying to build fitness for footy during pre-season, most clubs would do twice a week and go hard with intervals, sprints, 2km/3km time trials etc. Would Firas' approach of doing 70% daily and getting more kms into the legs also apply to footy?

I played high school gridiron for a season in the US and the approach before a Friday night game was:
Monday-Wednesday full pads at 80% (mostly skills with some conditioning at the end, but never to complete exertion or fatigue)
Thursday with just helmets at 50% (run through of certain plays, very low intensity)
Friday game day
Saturday recovery walks/jogs and film review
Sunday rest

Very interesting topic.

So I was about to pull the trigger on this and thought I'd check with them first that cambers and handles are actually at different angles as per photo, lucky I check because they aren't and the photo's wrong, they run parallel to each other.

All these entry level $200 SSBs seem to be the same.

Anyone know if it makes much of a difference whether the cambers are pointed down or down and forward at about 40 degrees?

The camber helps the bar sit on your back better when you’re going no hands, and I’ve found it better for other exercises (good mornings, front squats, triceps extensions)

My take on this is his methods are more about training athletes for skill acquisition. there was a bit about becoming autonomous with what you are doing. I would agree the more repetition you put in the better you get at this skill. if you flog yourself you wont be able to retrain the skill again the next day.

Rogan brings up that 'Farmers strength" argument all the time. i dont buy it. get a power lifter the same weight as the farmer and i will bet my house the lifter can lift more than the farmer. lifting endurance may be another story though. all comes down to specificity of training. If you train for strength or muscle building i think the traditional methods still hold true. Training for skill acquisition, weather it be hand speed/co-ordination, new techniques or movement patterns, this low intensity-high volume may well have its place.

My take on this is his methods are more about training athletes for skill acquisition. there was a bit about becoming autonomous with what you are doing. I would agree the more repetition you put in the better you get at this skill. if you flog yourself you wont be able to retrain the skill again the next day.

Rogan brings up that 'Farmers strength" argument all the time. i dont buy it. get a power lifter the same weight as the farmer and i will bet my house the lifter can lift more than the farmer. lifting endurance may be another story though. all comes down to specificity of training. If you train for strength or muscle building i think the traditional methods still hold true. Training for skill acquisition, weather it be hand speed/co-ordination, new techniques or movement patterns, this low intensity-high volume may well have its place.

There’s a bit of a grey scale to this style of training (as in, there’ll be a cut off at any end where more or less frequency becomes counter productive) but I agree it definitely favours skill acquisition vs strength acquisition.
Real world example: since I’ve taken up skating I’ve noticed that any less than 40 minutes in one session is fairly pointless once I haven’t skated that style (bowl, vert etc) in 3-4 days as it takes about that time to be able to get to the level I left at in the previous session. So for me (currently at least) there is more benefit in 1-2 big sessions throughout the week vs doing 20-30 minutes every day.

Aeglos , or anyone else... any experience using the 1 x 20 method? Been thinking about having a muck around it in my footy off season, but not sure it lends itself to working in conjunction with doing a fair bit of running (which I like to do in off season)

Aeglos , or anyone else... any experience using the 1 x 20 method? Been thinking about having a muck around it in my footy off season, but not sure it lends itself to working in conjunction with doing a fair bit of running (which I like to do in off season)

I presume you mean 1x20 squat program?

Most people I know will do it for a month between programs.
Last time I did one was years ago (maybe like 2012 lol?)
I did the following 3x per week (M-W-F) and kettlebell circuits on Tuesday and Thursday
2x20 squat (the gym owner was particularly sadistic)
2x7 barbell overhead press
2x20 Romanian deadlift (we used same weight as squats)
2x7 barbell bench press
3xF chin ups

The kettlebell stuff was an hour of this

a lot of pressing there. your ant delts will have copped a caning. really need to balance that out with equivalent upper back/posterior delt work, other wise you risk issues down the track, as well as having that rolled shoulder look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a lot of pressing there. your ant delts will have copped a caning. really need to balance that out with equivalent upper back/posterior delt work, other wise you risk issues down the track, as well as having that rolled shoulder look
I do back on a different day - if anything, my back volume exceeds my pressing volume.

I reckon everyone who is able should be doing deadlifts and some kind of squat, doesn't have to be hardcore but enough to keep you strong as you age.

doesn't even have to be an olympic bar deadlift either. Once the hip hinge movement is understood (let's face it many deadlifts out there are very much hybrid squats with the bar moving up around the knee in an s-bend), loading with a single KB between the feet is a good progression. it's a good way to learn to get your centre of gravity back rather than way out in front in a lot straight bar deadlifts you see.

the big problem with the deadlift is the gen pop still think it's a lower back exercise and so anyone with an inkling of back issues steer clear. there's no doubt that the erector spinae and multifidus are activated in the movement, but they're not the primary movers of this exercise. It's the glutes and hamstrings. the es & multifidus are preventing your trunk from collapsing from the load pulling you forward.

Anyone elses gym not have a deadlift platform and refuse to get one? The rest of the gym is so damn good but they are really missing one or two of these.

Also considering booking a couple of sessions at Valhalla Powerlifting in Brisbane to try and improve on the bench, squat and deadlifts. Anyone done similar?

Anyone elses gym not have a deadlift platform and refuse to get one? The rest of the gym is so damn good but they are really missing one or two of these.

Also considering booking a couple of sessions at Valhalla Powerlifting in Brisbane to try and improve on the bench, squat and deadlifts. Anyone done similar?
If the floor is that foamy stuff and the gym has CrossFit plates than it’s fine like it was at my gym, the standard plates don’t work well.

If the floor is that foamy stuff and the gym has CrossFit plates than it’s fine like it was at my gym, the standard plates don’t work well.
Nah standard plates and carpet. Just going to wreck the floor. I’ve seen a few videos on how to make one for under $100, considering doing it and donating it.

Nah standard plates and carpet. Just going to wreck the floor. I’ve seen a few videos on how to make one for under $100, considering doing it and donating it.

It’d depend on the type of timber you use, and also the top surface/matting.
I used 2440 x 1220 marine ply (~40mm worth in thickness) and 600 x 600 interlocking 10mm rubber for mine at home so it ended up costing a bit.
If you used more absorbent matting you could get away with a single sheet of ply which would greatly reduce the cost (and the matting would likely be cheaper as well.
Alternatively you could get 3 of these (1 to stand on, two to put the plates on). It’d be cheaper and you could ask the gym if you could store them behind the front desk or whatever which a) saves the gym a bit of floor space and b) stops anyone else using them when you want to
https://ma1.com.au/ma1-25mm-rubber-tile-50cm-x-50cm-black/ (They also come in 50mm thickness)

If they don't have bumper plates or the foam mats get a new gym

They have them around the place but they aren’t very thick. I like this gym, not going to change over a deadlift platform.
who said anything about a dead lift platform

if they don't have bumper plates and either a platform or an area with the foam tiles you can use for weights then they don't want people doing stuff like dead lifts, so if you want to do dead lifts find a gym that lets you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back