Preview Rnd 17 - Carlton v St Kilda Friday July 13 Darklands 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There need to be changes after last week, and considering effort is completely a choice and can't be taught (well), I reckon we dump the players who just aren't having a crack.

In:
McKay (as a second ruck/help for Charlie)
Dow (coming back from 'managed').
Mullett (Good running, just need a return in form).
Simpson (Assuming he returns from injury)
Kerr/Lobbe (Need a taller forward line).
Out:
Phillips (injury)
Weitering (injury)
Graham (doesn't try hard enough in contests)
Silvagni (It might be that he is unfamiliar with his roles, but he has had weak efforts)
Polson (not performing at an AFL level, but he does have a crack which is admirable and is a leader though example)

We can't play Rowe or Wright after last weeks effort if we're serious.

IN: Dow, Simpson, McKay, Byrne
OUT: Rowe, Graham, Phillips, Wright

If Weitering or Marchbank don't get up then bring in O'Shea.
O'Shea is shocking; if we are serious, then we would not consider him. And Weitering should get dropped either way. We want to win this game, don't we? And defenders can't slack off like him.
We should keep Wright forward, even as a deep forward, just for a bit of experience in that line. You are proposing that out forward line's oldest player is Lang (22 y-o)

It depends on which St Kilda shows up.

The insipid one, who couldn't hit the side of the Exhibition building from 10 metres at its widest point, them we can outwork. If we show up to play, we can get on top of that St Kilda.

But if St Kilda do what they've done the last few years against us, and back their tall defenders to zone off and beat their direct opposition and nail their kicks out into open space, we're stuffed. They'll do us exactly the way they've done the last few times, open us up on turnover. Billings will rediscover his accuracy - the way he only ever does against us - and Membrey will kick 10.

I'd expect a showing this week that will better the one last week, but I don't expect us to win. We are, and I say this every week, EXTREMELY vulnerable to the older players on our list. If Rowe, Jones, Lamb, Graham, Murphy, Simpson, Wright, Casboult, Kreuzer are not playing at their optimum level or at least on a par with a regular AFL player for 4 quarters, we're scuppered regardless of opposition.

What I want to see is continued good form from Charlie, Cripps, Kennedy. I want to see Fisher returning to his early season best. I want to see SPS try to put together whole quarters, not ten minutes at the start of each term. I want to see Cam Polson racking up tackle numbers, getting at least 6 tackles for the game. I want to see Weitering's performances continue to build, getting better at closing down situations and turning stuff into contests. I want Pickett to play a 19 possession performance, and to kick 2+ goals. I want to see LOB continue finding contested ball, tackling like a demon, and altogether demonstrating that the outside tag he copped as a junior was full of s**t.

What I'd LOVE to see is a game from Graham that wins the match almost singlehandedly, with clearances, precise kicking and goals. I'd love for Liam Jones to absolutely smash it, blunting every single opposition thrust and launching attack after attack onto the open side in a Rance like display. I'd love for Lamb to kick 4 if forward, or if back to blanket Billings/Gresham whilst forming a component of that rebound from Jones. I'd LOVE Matthew Wright to return to his form of the past two years, instead of playing like a worse version of David Ellard.

I don't expect most of that to happen, but some of it is more likely than the rest. If at least some of that happens, we'll go close, though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know what time the $13 general admin tickets go on sale?

Articles seem to say Thursday morning with no specific time but ticketmaster is still selling general admin at $25

6:26 tonight either way BF posters will go mad if H is not selected.

Selected or not it will be some good reading eitherway, we have to get our enjoyment somewhere and gameday isn’t being it, so the selections and the following response will have to do

Big H wont be playing tomorrow night either.

You want to try that again!

Bolton: We've all seen glimpses of what Harry McKay can bring: he's got a lot of tools and we want him to use that agility and mobility tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back