Stop the AFL From Trialling New Rules in AFL Matches in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason ratings are dropping is also because of the imbecilic boys club of a commentating fraternity.

Too many jobs for mates. Seeing the same “personalities” rotating from show to show is grating. Almost every show is some tired combo of BT, Darce, Richo, Hame-o, Sam Freakin McClure, Basil, and The King.

I love footy. But I hate these goons that are force fed to me.

I think what's missing these days are good quality technical callers of the game,
a perfect example would be something akin to Jim Durham and Johnny Red of chicago bulls fame era. The closest thing to that in the AFL is Tim Lane & Tony Leonard.
Just classy callers, not over the top, not gossipy, just calling the technical aspects of the in-game and doing it rather well.
I hate using the term "cool", but there really isn't much coolness/hook factor at all to modern commentating of AFL games.

Last edited:

theyve been there a while, so why are ratings suddenly dropping off a cliff this year? Maybe it's because we are getting lower scores, and more goal-less quarters than every before

The main reason ratings have dropped is the marquee games they have had on. Almost every Friday night game has been a fizzer, mainly because of who they have had playing, not the game style. If the AFL wants to fix this then they should have the ability to move the games a month in advance so they have a better chance of having the best games on at marquee times.

Secondly, yes there needs to be rule changes. But why the rush to do it in 2019 without a proper test? I find it totally unacceptable to trial new rules in some games in 2018 and not all games. It makes a mockery of the competition and a laughing stock. Im a paid up carlton member, I paid up based on them playing 22 games of football as I know it. I don't want them playing mickey mouse rules (even if it may make us more competitive)

FFS, trial this in pre-season next year (scrap all the other rule trials they normally do I pre-season and play it as they want the game played under the new rules). If it is successful bring it in in 2020. If they rush the rules, they will * it up and we get absolutely nowhere.

?

A sporting competition where the results of not all games officially matter? Sounds a bit odd to me.

Who says they don’t? They just aren’t impacting on the premiership race

Ffs, you are one of the worst crisis merchants around here and now, in response to the afl apparently taking action, you’ve turned your coat inside out and joined the “leave the game alone” forces!

As it is the afl have pretty much rules out dead rubber trials

Who says they don’t? They just aren’t impacting on the premiership race

Ffs, you are one of the worst crisis merchants around here and now, in response to the afl apparently taking action, you’ve turned your coat inside out and joined the “leave the game alone” forces!

As it is the afl have pretty much rules out dead rubber trials

Draft order? Brownlow? History books? Stats? B&Fs?

Not important?

It was utterly bizarre to for them to even raise the concept.

I've been very, very clear on what I believe needs to change. The game is foul to watch, but I have never supported drastic rules changes.

It's 80% bonkers, 20% great idea I feel. It certainly has advantages over pre-season in terms of testing the rules on team who are fit/set hardened etc and set on a game plan that they couldn't tweak massively in a few weeks. But the tactics coaches would employ if the rules came in permanently could completely undo the effectiveness of the changes anyway.

It might add interest to some dud fixtures too

Draft order? Brownlow? History books? Stats? B&Fs?

Not important?

It was utterly bizarre to for them to even raise the concept.

I've been very, very clear on what I believe needs to change. The game is foul to watch, but I have never supported drastic rules changes.

Not centrally important...but it’s not happening anyway so why are you still here wringing your hands about it?

Youve been starting threads all year about how bad the game is and now you obsessing over in season rule trials (designed to address your supposed concerns no less) that have been essentially ruled out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok....radical idea time....

Why don't they use the final round Bye to throw together some trial matches?

Surely the non-top 8 teams could find some volunteer players to turn up? Maybe do one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday. Let people in for free, televise them to engage the fans as to what the rules may look like.

It would also stop that foul non-footy weekend on the eve of the finals.

They will probably ending up doing this anyway. But the intensity will be nothing like a real game where 4 premiership points and coaches fully out to win. So whilst it will be useful to see something it still will not be the real deal that would be far more ideal to see some of these "game adjustments".

Never heard so much bullshit in my life. Game adjustments. What a load of PR bullshit spin Hocking was told to use no doubt.
The lack of info is ******* bullshit at this point. Why have a press conference when you cannot tell us anything? Absolute bullshit

The main reason ratings have dropped is the marquee games they have had on. Almost every Friday night game has been a fizzer, mainly because of who they have had playing, not the game style. If the AFL wants to fix this then they should have the ability to move the games a month in advance so they have a better chance of having the best games on at marquee times.
FTA and fox ratings across the board have dropped, not just Friday nights. Also, our best games are rating less than best games of previous years. In previous years a good game on Friday night would rate up to 1.3m. This year it struggles to get 1.1m. This is not due to Carlton or Stkilda, it's pretty much every game.
Secondly, yes there needs to be rule changes. But why the rush to do it in 2019 without a proper test? I find it totally unacceptable to trial new rules in some games in 2018 and not all games. It makes a mockery of the competition and a laughing stock. Im a paid up carlton member, I paid up based on them playing 22 games of football as I know it. I don't want them playing mickey mouse rules (even if it may make us more competitive)
It shows how desperate the AFL are about congestion and dropping interest in the game. I agree this would be better done over a longer trial period, and not mid season. However I am interested to see how these changes will affect a game of no consequence

Not centrally important...but it’s not happening anyway so why are you still here wringing your hands about it?

Youve been starting threads all year about how bad the game is and now you obsessing over in season rule trials (designed to address your supposed concerns no less) that have been essentially ruled out

Well firstly, I've posted about 4 times in this thread. So you're being a bit emotive with your language. I'd hardly call that obsessing, or hand wringing.

Secondly, my post wasn't even about rule changes during the season as such - it was highlighting the clear insight the AFL gave us as to how they view the sport.

To even float the idea that games between clubs don't matter, is a clear and blatant example that the AFL are no longer tip toeing the line between the game being a true sporting competition, and it being merely an entertainment product that they sell to consumers. They are well and truly, firmly entrenched in the latter. Clearly.

That can't be denied now.

Ironically, this is actually why the AFL has got itself into this mess in the first place. As I've said many times before. Footy has always been an ugly game, but no one really cared because it was tribal, and they didn't give a s**t as long as their club won. People would stand in the rain and watch their team roll in the mud for 100 minutes on a Saturday afternoon, and not complain once about the spectacle. Because the spectacle wasn't the point. It wasn't even relevant.

The problem now is, that the AFL made it a 'product' and removed the tribal element almost entirely for most people. So now people sit back and look at it, and are rightly critical that the product they're buying is not entertaining.

And now, the AFL literally came out and told everyone, told their customers, that the results of the games their teams are playing in are irrelevant. They made it incredibly clear that the way these games look to an audience is far more important.

They can't have it both ways. You can't tell people the result isn't important, but the look of the game is - then get huffy when people stop buying your product because it's ugly to look at.

I have turned around knowing Peggy is in there having discussion,Peggy will not turn the sport into a rabble,Peggy will make sure the game will improve in the right way,keeping the core values of our sport intact.

Richmond will transform anyway,whatever the rules may be.

A few years of bruise free footy may be a godsend to Richmond after two years of unrelenting footy.

Well firstly, I've posted about 4 times in this thread. So you're being a bit emotive with your language. I'd hardly call that obsessing, or hand wringing.

Secondly, my post wasn't even about rule changes during the season as such - it was highlighting the clear insight the AFL gave us as to how they view the sport.

To even float the idea that games between clubs don't matter, is a clear and blatant example that the AFL are no longer tip toeing the line between the game being a true sporting competition, and it being merely an entertainment product that they sell to consumers. They are well and truly, firmly entrenched in the latter. Clearly.

That can't be denied now.

Ironically, this is actually why the AFL has got itself into this mess in the first place. As I've said many times before. Footy has always been an ugly game, but no one really cared because it was tribal, and they didn't give a s**t as long as their club won. People would stand in the rain and watch their team roll in the mud for 100 minutes on a Saturday afternoon, and not complain once about the spectacle. Because the spectacle wasn't the point. It wasn't even relevant.

The problem now is, that the AFL made it a 'product' and removed the tribal element almost entirely for most people. So now people sit back and look at it, and are rightly critical that the product they're buying is not entertaining.

And now, the AFL literally came out and told everyone, told their customers, that the results of the games their teams are playing in are irrelevant. They made it incredibly clear that the way these games look to an audience is far more important.

They can't have it both ways. You can't tell people the result isn't important, but the look of the game is - then get huffy when people stop buying your product because it's ugly to look at.

Hysterical

I have turned around knowing Peggy is in there having discussion,Peggy will not turn the sport into a rabble,Peggy will make sure the game will improve in the right way,keeping the core values of our sport intact.

Richmond will transform anyway,whatever the rules may be.

A few years of bruise free footy may be a godsend to Richmond after two years of unrelenting footy.
But Peggy is president of the club that is the biggest culprit for the awful state of the current game.

Richmond games are simply unwatchable.

Amazed at the hysterical reaction to propose trial, unless there changing the ball size or shape ,changing the ground size ,changing the goal posts
the most talented team will win the game.
Bottom teams at this time of season whether players or supporters cannot wait for the year to finish, small alterations may give them a bit of
extra energy for those games.

But Peggy is president of the club that is the biggest culprit for the awful state of the current game.

Richmond games are simply unwatchable.

:drunk:

HAHA,Richmond games are a joy to watch.

If it's about Richmond from oppos,then it's about changing the rules to stop Richmond winning flags,not because of the style they play.

Richmond play the game so well,brilliant tackling,consistently score over 100 points a game,it must feel depressing for oppos watching us hence the "state of the game"

The media brought " the state of the game " up only after Richmond won alot of games early on,they thought we would be a flash in the pan after last year,no chance!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back