Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Norf would be better
Saints even
FMD - Bulldogs have up side

....Carlton though !!!!

Carlton were the first one to tell him he was worth a first round pick during the first Gibbs offer. Then, after we sign him for 550-600k, they tell him he is worth 850k and offer him that amount of cash to break contract. It used to be players wanted to win a flag, now that is a secondary consideration to the money

If it's not pick 1 or 2, then I'm of the view we absolutely should say no.

The message that it sends to contracted players is poor- you can break your contracts with us at a whim. We don't even end up in the position that we need to worry about losing him for nothing- we still have a whole 'nother pre-season where we own him to get a trade.

If he really wants his trade, and they won't pay what we want now, he can perform on the field for it for a year.
In the SANFL.

Certainly seems like this is well advanced.

Only question is if we’re asking enough? But presumably all the leaks about is wanting pick 1, and McGovern still coming out and saying he wants Carlton indicates that there may be a deal in place

Even Cartlon changing their tune on priority picks and wanting one now gives the feel that something is in the works.

I'd be kind of surprised if this is not a first day/second day trade.

And if that pick is pick 2 and you take Walsh everyone is a winner. Considering that pick is free a straight swap would be ideal.

Gov gets paid more and is at a club where he will be a star.
You guys get Walsh.
We get Luko.
We keep pick 7

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So you are saying we trade pick 1 for McGovern straight swap? Why wouldnt we just take Lukosius who is a better prospect than McGovern?

McGovern is starting to remind me of Tippett. Not just leaving for money, but in terms of his demeanor on field and the fact there's always an excuse for his output not being great enough. I mentioned in the re-signing thread last year that he always looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Hopefully we can turn him and our strong draft hand into Luko and Rankine/Rozee.

Actually you guys are. All I hear is jokes about collective minds. What even is that?
Enjoy finishing bottom every year. Now piss off

Yeah, nah.

You don’t trade pick 19-21 for a 24 KPF still contracted for 2 years when the club he wants to go to is offering him $800k/year.

Mid 1st round is 11 or 12

If it's not pick 1 or 2, then I'm of the view we absolutely should say no.

The message that it sends to contracted players is poor- you can break your contracts with us at a whim. We don't even end up in the position that we need to worry about losing him for nothing- we still have a whole 'nother pre-season where we own him to get a trade.

If he really wants his trade, and they won't pay what we want now, he can perform on the field for it for a year.
It's pretty simple. The afl could legislate that any player who wants to break a contract, the club receives the remainder of the contract as an increase in salary cap. This would fix the problem immediately and would actually bring contracts back to meaning something. Will not happen as the afl is trying to recreate the EPL through free agency and players breaking contract. The only winners currently are the players and hawthorn, richmond, collingwood and most likely essendon in the future.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Norf would be better
Saints even
FMD - Bulldogs have up side

....Carlton though !!!!

The fact he's going to Cartlon is cause for celebration not an FMD. The shortest, and quickest route to get the kid we would crawl over broken glass for.

Not a good fit? after signing a 3 year deal 12 months ago? Complete BS.

This is just another money grab.

Not concerned about it really. We keep players who have the values we want like Sloane and we cash out on the money grubbers like Lever and now MGov. They don’t care about what’s is important to us supporters anyway. That being club success.
Ummm... what was the Sloane deal worth?

If they offered this year and next years first and a player i would consider it. Their 2 firsts could be converted to a top 5 pick i feel to a club such as gold coast. If the player was a puopolo could be a good backup for betts for a year or two. Food for thought.

IF we can get a deal like you describe (ie top 5 pick and an OK player), then perhaps. There's no guarantee Gold Coast would go for that, though. They've got 2 and 3, I don't know if they'd be interested in trading either of those for a couple of mid-teens picks (assuming Hawthorn finish around the same spot next year). But again, that isn't really our problem. I'd leave that to Hawthorn to go find that top 5 pick, not give us their 2 late first-rounders and then leave us to try and cut a deal with Gold Coast.

What's working in our favour (in addition to Gov's contracted status) is that the move seems to be motivated entirely by money. The team he's most strongly connected with seems to be Carlton, which makes it pretty clear that he's not looking to go home and he's not chasing on-field success. This at least means that we may have flexibility in terms of which club we deal with as long as they're willing to meet his contract demands.

Did we not just sign all our other contracted players, including one everyone thought would leave in Sloane? Yeah, place must be a culture cesspit!
Didn’t you hear, Sloane wanted to go but after his foot injury which he was able to return from no Melb club wanted him so he came crawling back to his only suitor

Actually you guys are. All I hear is jokes about collective minds. What even is that?
It's a big part of what got us to Grand Final last year.

This year it's not anything.

And if you think the shock of players not having their phones on a camp is more of a joke than only winning two games - well, THAT'S why your team is truly pathetic. Look what they've done to you.

Even Cartlon changing their tune on priority picks and wanting one now gives the feel that something is in the works.

I'd be kind of surprised if this is not a first day/second day trade.
Much like the Dangerfield thing it certainly seems that way, but we wont get pick 1 for him so itll have to come down to how good the PP will be. If they get pick 2 then itll be on, if they don't then I suspect weve got some more work to do.

Of course the clubs know better than us as to whether all that is likely to happen. This is the most important trade since the Jarman and McLeod days given the talent on display, we have to get it right.

If they turn out to be guns what makes you think clubs will not come calling with bigger offers. Do you think training on the West Lakes shithole or our brilliant culture will be enough to retain these SA lads. Our issues are deeper than just home sickness.

The demolition of West Lakes/footy park must be a wonderful backdrop to where the club is at in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back