Music The music thread

Remove this Banner Ad

best live band I've ever seen, and can thank my then 15 yo daughter for making me listen to them

You introduced me to Cat Empire, thank you, big fan now.

last post :) some relaxing acoustic music

the amazing voice of Gordon Lightfoot

from Billy Jack

Stevie Winwood, what a talent. Love the fire crackling in the background :)

Love all three of those

Little wing and Hey Joe are my favourite songs ever to play on guitar.
I love little wing so much I gotta friend to design a little wing drawing and i got it tattooed on me.
Gotta voodoo chile one as well.
Always say little wing is my oldest daughters song cause she's so sweet, and voodoo chile is my youngest cause she's wild.

the man has taste :thumbsu:
Hendrix was just so out there guitar wise I never even tried any of his stuff before, but that sweet clean tone called. :)
too bad my hands are so small lol

the man has taste :thumbsu:
Hendrix was just so out there guitar wise I never even tried any of his stuff before, but that sweet clean tone called. :)
too bad my hands are so small lol
Yeah it's the tone that does it on those quieter songs for me.
Most of his songs are too hard for me lol. But those 2 and The wind cries Mary aren't too hard and really satisfying to play once you learn them.
Ha ha i just use my thumb if my hands can't handle it.

various Stones vids
Aye-m a King Bee Baybee :) ATM I have a few Stones playlists for my daily commutes, one is early Stones R&B and soul covers, another is Some Girls and Tattoo You, and a third is various songs with Mick Taylor solos :thumbsu:
That Ruby Tuesday vid from Hyde Park, little known factoid, they also played a song that wasn't released with the film and never recorded called I'm Yours, She's Mine by Johnny Winter. It's basically like Led Zep's Traveling Riverside Blues.

Here's another live vid from one of their small venue shows. Garage punks at their best; missing cues, chaotic; and its the official video lol
I especially like Charlie Watts, just on fire ;)

Hello Kitty, with Rush you have to remember they've been around a long time and have distinct phases. I loved them when they were hard rock Tolkienites :) When they started getting airplay was ironically when I started turning away from them. But I have always totally respected them more than most bands for playing THEIR music. One of those playlists mentioned above is 3 of Rush's last albums. Still good but they've kind of gotten buried in the wall of sound they create IMHO.
One thing I've liked to play with in my mind is what should these great bands do at the end of their careers. The Stones I have wanted to do a show or album with the original setlist from their very first gig together. They kind of did that with their last album. Rush I'd have loved to see them do one without all the technology they'd been using. Back to the basement, one effects box for Lifeson and Lee, no synths, just get back to basics for one last time. ;)

Yeah it's the tone that does it on those quieter songs for me.
Most of his songs are too hard for me lol. But those 2 and The wind cries Mary aren't too hard and really satisfying to play once you learn them.
Ha ha i just use my thumb if my hands can't handle it.
its those pinky pull offs 4 or 5 frets down from a two string bar on the A and D :D

A great spin off has been going through the Stones catalog again. Beyond the classics, there are some great songs on the weaker albums.

and Mick Taylor's masterpiece:

Stones are great and great to play but Jagger has always shitted me to tears. I can listen and play them but find very hard to watch. Great bio of Keef on Netflix

I'm with you on that one, particularly when he was doing that campy, bi-schtick in 70s and 80s. But I had to admit he's a helluvan artist, can blow a mean harp, do some country blues (movie Performance). Did you know he pretty much wrote the guitar part for Brown Sugar? Like him when he just plays it straight.
Stones are great and great to play but Jagger has always shitted me to tears. I can listen and play them but find very hard to watch. Great bio of Keef on Netflix

Opposite for me.
Just love his versatility.
The awesome ultimate love classic ANGIE with his soulful performance
The writhing serpentine like performance of SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
The portrayal of sheer anger in STREET FIGHTING MAN
The supercool WAITING ON A FRIEND
The honest charm of MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPER, and BACK STREET GIRL
As a live performer and front man of perhaps the GOAT Rock Band, he is peerless imho

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposite for me.
As a live performer and front man of perhaps the GOAT Rock Band, he is peerless imho
I particularly love their early blues influenced work, and Sympathy for the Devil once of the best all time live songs - because of Mick.

One concert where I saw them, at the G during the 90's, is the best concert that I have been to.

Opposite for me.
Agree he is a great performer just not my cuppa. Still great to play a CD or strum!

Looking for a song.
Very scant information.
Heard it on Wednesday, 26 Sep 2018 Triple M, about 1230-1250pm.
Has very few words that I can recall, except perhaps, 'in the whole universe".
Can not download it from Triple M's playlist- those hours are missing.
The blokes working on our renos loved it also but do not know it's name.
Has a slight David Bowie feel to it, but not Bowie.
Have heard it before but not common.
Very annoying.

I particularly love their early blues influenced work, and Sympathy for the Devil once of the best all time live songs - because of Mick.

One concert where I saw them, at the G during the 90's, is the best concert that I have been to.
Seen Paul McCartney live earlier this year and it was a once in a life time opportunity, he was incredible.

I would do damage to have seen Stones live.

Love the beer goggles on the girl about 2.20 in.

Edit - One of my fav songs ever, around the 50.23 mark.

Last edited:
Some of Brian Jones and his band :p
Those early Jagger/Richards were great, but just got played way too much, need another decade before I can listen to the big hits again. I like the lesser jams more ATM.

One of Jones' last recorded sessions, totally off the cuff bottleneck slide. BB is in my top 3 Stones albums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back