Strategy Trade and List management Thread (cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, sorry to intrude, but there's been some rumours around Tim English to WA. What would you guys think fair compensation in such a trade for him?

IF there is any substance to this, it’ll be a couple of years before anything happens (end contract). There is just no value to us in trading him now, and as he is a young bloke a couple of years may change his perspective.

IF there is any substance to this, it’ll be a couple of years before anything happens (end contract). There is just no value to us in trading him now, and as he is a young bloke a couple of years may change his perspective.

That's a huge IF. I get the feeling IF will be the word of the next few weeks.

Why do you have Joe Daniher as your avatar?

Joe missed most of the year with groin soreness and Doc Reid couldn't work out why.

Joe told him he had been doing extra 'training' with Dyson.

Doc Reid thought he meant Heppell :eek:

If Adams wants to go to Lions as reported was thinking of players that could be of interest instead of picks to add more maturity to our list. Not sure about contract status but that doesn't matter anymore anyway ( just ask Marcus ). Haven't seen a lot of him but think we were interested in his draft year Ben Keayes. Write up said prolific ball winner who can push forward and kick a goal. Other I'd be interested in which gets bought up often is McStay. Boyd's mate who is versatile and can take a mark up forward.
I'm in the process of digging through a shit load of pages from overnight, so I'm sorry if this has already been said. We actually bid on Keays in his draft year, but the Lions matched because he was one of their academy kids. So the club was definitely interested, which probably makes it more likely we'd ask for him in return

I’m not huge on this Sam Lloyd news. I get he costs nothing but he’s just a player IMO. I don’t see the point of us getting him.
Not all trades need to be for superstars, just look at Crozier. He was struggling to get a game at Freo, we took him in, and suddenly he's a lock in our 22 as a back flanker. While it would be nice to get nothing but huge names coming in every trade period, in reality we need to take what we can get if it improves the side. Lloyd definitely has the potential to improve our side, and at worst he is solid depth for when we inevitably get ****ed up by injuries. He will cost us very little in terms of cap space and picks, so overall it is a positive move for the club in my eyes

Hi,
I'm relatively new to the forum, this is my first post on the Bulldogs board. Been lurking for about four years :)
Sam Lloyd is an interesting pick up, in my opinion he's a solid player, but is he best 22?
It is extremely important for me that we resign Libba. In form he is a major part of the midfield, he was close to elite in 2013-14.
Lloyds an excellent pickup for you, highly respected by coaches, players and suporters, he's a running machine who's absolutely tough as nails with fantastic skills , a real natural fotbaler. On our bard he was always touted as the first to be picked up in a trade. Its sad to se him go but at least hes not going interstate or to a shitty club like norf.

Should add as a footnote to his hardness, since CH Data records have been kept Lloyd holds the record for equal second best (with Dusty and Clay Beams) for don't argues (broken tackles) in a single game with 6. Dusty holds the overall record with 7

Last edited:
English leased a house in Port Melbourne with Lipinski about a month ago.

Something could have changed but would be very unlikely.

Fear we will have this discussion most years though with him and Naughton
If Mclure actually said that, he would have tweeted or put out an article. Just another useless Facebook page trying to get hits

Sorry I’m in a different timezone so appreciate responding now is a bit out of rhythm of the thread but not sure I agree with this. Dickson played his most games in 2015 and 2016 which are the team’s two strongest performing seasons recently, obviously including the premiership. As per my earlier post his goal average against top 4 teams is leading of all current playing small forwards (or at least was during the year when the stats were available). So he’s clearly shown an ability to get into, and perform, in strong sides and fully fit my guess is he would’ve played more games in the past two years as well.

Anyway, I’m not necessarily criticising Lloyd but emphasising that in my view Dickson is a very good and seemingly underrated footballer. Perhaps Lloyd isn’t a direct replacement and it’s expected both could fit in the team, perhaps the medical team know more about Dickson’s ability to get back to playing than they’re letting on and he’s a backup in an area we lack etc.

In bold is kinda my point, but sorry I might not have made it very clear. You were saying that Dickson and Lloyd had played a similar number of games, in fact Dickson more so. What I was trying to say was you need to look at that in the context of the teams they were in. It's not a valid comparison otherwise. I wasn't trying to say that Dickson would not get a game for Richmond - of course he would, but my point was that if the teams they played for were switched then Dickson would have played all available games for the Tigs and Lloyd would have played all available for the Dogs and due to his better injury history would likely have played the vast majority of games over the past two seasons, thus bumping Lloyd's tally by 30 odd games.

I'm definitely not arguing that Lloyd ever has been or ever will be a better player than Dickson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi,
I'm relatively new to the forum, this is my first post on the Bulldogs board. Been lurking for about four years :)
Sam Lloyd is an interesting pick up, in my opinion he's a solid player, but is he best 22?
It is extremely important for me that we resign Libba. In form he is a major part of the midfield, he was close to elite in 2013-14.
My thoughts are he is best 22 if he plays predominately forward with a little bit of time in the middle. If thwt is the case i think he could be a top three goal kicker for us. If we try to play him too much through the middle I would hope he wouldn't be in our best players there. Agree with you on Libba. We can't bleed too much class.

INTERSTATE INTEREST FOR PREMIERSHIP BULLDOG

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership player Tom Liberatore is interested in moving to a non-Victorian club, reports Foxfooty.com.au’s Tom Morris.

However there has only been “minimal interest” in recruiting the midfielder, who is currently away in Europe.

It was reported in August that Liberatore was close to re-signing with the club but he still has not put pen to paper. He has spent 2018 recovering from a ruptured ACL suffered in Round 1.

“It’s a really interesting one because he hasn’t played since Round 1, so why hasn’t he re-signed? What are the Bulldogs waiting on, what’s Tom Liberatore waiting on?” Morris asked on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“My understanding is he’s relatively keen to move to an interstate club, a non-Victorian club. But there’s been minimal interest.

“I know the Brisbane Lions had a very brief look at it but they’re not keen, they’ve got a good midfield division already and they’ve looked elsewhere. He was not signed for a reason and he’s no certainty to be at the Bulldogs next year.

“You speak to people there and they say we think he’s probably going to be here, but certainly there’s a few interstate clubs that are relatively keen. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next few weeks Tom Liberatore got back and went, we might look for a move here. Where to? Only time will tell.”

Bulldogs teammate Mitch Wallis told SEN Breakfast last month he hoped Liberatore would remain at the club but was “pretty unsure” if he would.

“I hope the club and him can work something out because he is such a great player and he deserves a bit of good luck after all this unfortunate events that have happened over the last few years,” Wallis said.

“I hope he stays but I’m pretty unsure on that front.

“It has been a tough year for Libba with his injuries and as soon as that final siren goes, you can imagine Tom, he is as far away from Australia as possible.

Few things tonight from my source (think you’ll be disappointed - don’t go too hard at me):
-Libba going nowhere. Will re-sign. Knee rehab was good. No issues with the whole Dahlhaus motivation crap.
-Gave me donuts on Adams - he wasn’t sure what was going on (maybe a good sign I dunno).
-There is interest in Wingard from us but not as big as the media is trying to build up. There’s been no meeting with Chad. Most likely stays with Port.
-No interest in Jack Martin.
-Lloyd will be a very late pick. Tigers happy for him to look for opportunity.
-No interest in Darcy Moore.
-Small interest in Ed Langdon from Freo.
Couldn’t get much else out of him unfortunately.
Point on Wingard is incorrect. SP has been into him since he got the job a year ago and has made him priority #1

When Libba is at his best, he is a top 5 player in the league for clearances and tackles, and gets good contested ball numbers as well. Clearly clubs are put off by whether he can find that form again post second ACL or his reputation plays a part. Find the minimal interest curious

When Libba is at his best, he is a top 5 player in the league for clearances and tackles, and gets good contested ball numbers as well. Clearly clubs are put off by whether he can find that form again post second ACL or his reputation plays a part. Find the minimal interest curious

It has to be purely off-field based.

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership player Tom Liberatore is interested in moving to a non-Victorian club, reports Foxfooty.com.au’s Tom Morris.

However there has only been “minimal interest” in recruiting the midfielder, who is currently away in Europe.

It was reported in August that Liberatore was close to re-signing with the club but he still has not put pen to paper. He has spent 2018 recovering from a ruptured ACL suffered in Round 1.

“It’s a really interesting one because he hasn’t played since Round 1, so why hasn’t he re-signed? What are the Bulldogs waiting on, what’s Tom Liberatore waiting on?” Morris asked on Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight.

“My understanding is he’s relatively keen to move to an interstate club, a non-Victorian club. But there’s been minimal interest.

“I know the Brisbane Lions had a very brief look at it but they’re not keen, they’ve got a good midfield division already and they’ve looked elsewhere. He was not signed for a reason and he’s no certainty to be at the Bulldogs next year.

“You speak to people there and they say we think he’s probably going to be here, but certainly there’s a few interstate clubs that are relatively keen. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the next few weeks Tom Liberatore got back and went, we might look for a move here. Where to? Only time will tell.”

Bulldogs teammate Mitch Wallis told SEN Breakfast last month he hoped Liberatore would remain at the club but was “pretty unsure” if he would.

“I hope the club and him can work something out because he is such a great player and he deserves a bit of good luck after all this unfortunate events that have happened over the last few years,” Wallis said.

“It has been a tough year for Libba with his injuries and as soon as that final siren goes, you can imagine Tom, he is as far away from Australia as possible.

The quicker Libba puts pen to paper the quicker articles such as the above can stop.

His signature seems to be taking sometime to come. Longer it takes the more concerning it is.

Not all trades need to be for superstars, just look at Crozier. He was struggling to get a game at Freo, we took him in, and suddenly he's a lock in our 22 as a back flanker. While it would be nice to get nothing but huge names coming in every trade period, in reality we need to take what we can get if it improves the side. Lloyd definitely has the potential to improve our side, and at worst he is solid depth for when we inevitably get ****** up by injuries. He will cost us very little in terms of cap space and picks, so overall it is a positive move for the club in my eyes
Fair points and look I get the reasons for recruiting him but I’m just not convinced he makes us any better especially if two or all of Dickson, Dale and Picken return. Depth yes, that’s probably the likely scenario.

I think a few here are heavily overrating him. Did someone just mention before that he’ll likely add 40 goals next year? I’d say that’s a decent stretch.

Hop Libba stays. From his perspective I can see why he is exploring interstate possibilities and it probably has not much to do with Dogs. I get the urge all the time to pack up and move interstate have an adventure and Libba seems adventurous. I did once before for 3 years and had great experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back