Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel that Govs real issue is his manager. The guy really sounds a knob. Surely his job is to mentor his client as well. Get them the best deal but explain the lay of the land. His manager also has a history with other clients. The AFL needs to look at the practice of some managers with contracted clients.
What did the Three Amigos have in common?

Lever was offered a boat load of cash to go to Melbourne but IMHO the problem started in his first year when he was dropped for the finals. He mentioned this on a number of occasions in interviews over the next two years. Lever could hardly complain that he lacked opportunities at the Crows and we were very patient with some of his third man up brain fades (which really pissed off Daniel Talia).

Charlie had absolutely nothing to complain about. We played him based on zero SANFL form and continued to back him in (despite the ire of many Bigfooty posters) through several flat patches of form.

Mitch turned up at the Crows in less than pristine condition. It took the entire first year to get him AFL ready. To the surprise of many, he was selected in round one of his second year and we continued to back him in throughout the rest of his time at the Crows. We brought him back as soon as he had recovered from ankle injury but he was clearly underdone. After the briefest of stays in the Twos he was brought back into the Ones to showcase his talents to Carlton supporters.

Only the greatest critic of the Crows would say that these three guys had been mishandled. You could put the theory that we could have handled Mitch’s injuries in a more professional manner but he had a poor history of soft tissue injuries before joining the Crows and he never looked super lean and super fit. Yes, I know his chubby brother is an All Australian but I do not accept that the McGoverns are unlike other professional sportsmen and need to carry a few extra pounds (the Greg Ritchie Theory).

I hope for Mitch’s sake that he has an injury free run with Carlton, I guess time will tell.

The Three Amigos were all offered way above the odds by other teams and have subsequently attempted to justify their moves were not motivated by money. Yeah.....Nah.

I thought it was around his injury being mismanaged before the GF, not the fact he thought he was fit enough to play.

If I were him, I’d be heaps pissed off if management didn’t take any responsibility for their shambles of a fitness department. This was thought was probably reinforced early this year with the huge number of injuries to the team as a result of the fitness departments incompetence. Once you lose confidence in management, so hard to trust them again.

Carlton have offered him some sweet $$$, has his favourite fwd coach, has Hawks high performance manager to manage his injury prone body, and allows his partner to study her dream course.

Having Burton/Hass has severely eroded player confidence in management and their well being. I count ourselves lucky that it was only McGovern that left.

I’m just glad they’ve recognised that they ****ed up (excluding Burton/Haas), and taken steps to amend it.

We heard this during the year.

He wasn’t good to go, they played him anyway, he exacerbated his soreness into and injury - and missed the grand final as a result.

Another Burton special.
And yet when we told him he wasnt playing because he wasnt right he cracked the sads

And imagine if he says so, and then breaks down quarter 1. I'm sure you'll be off your nut going "our club is a shitshow, they played an injured player when we had an alternative, sack Fagan".

I'd rather us make that call that he's injured if we believe so with a replacement available, and literally everything we've seen with the McGovern v Otten fight for a position indicates we believed he was injured. I don't care in the slightest McGovern thought he was alright, our doctors know his body better then he does (which is naturally expected due to a doctor being impartial in this situation). You don't say you're injured when it comes down to a finals appearance.

It's not a doctor call, it was a hammy and he did a fitness test. Doctor is well removed from that.

You really believe that?

Yeh, I do and I posted exactly that when Otto was selected in the prelim. I posted that there's no way he'd miss after playing in that game regardless of Gov's fitness and that while ok in a night game at AO, he'd be a complete liability on a warm and dry MCG.

Our coaching group don't do unlucky omissions for senior players.

You really believe that?

Also, I've been posting that as being the reason he was pissed at us for months. It wasn't Gibbs, of course we had more cash when Lever and CC left. The only meaningful issue between his re-contracting and wanting out in 2017 was Otten's selection ahead of him in the GF.

Hate him for it all you like. But it's the reason that he's gone.

Also, I've been posting that as being the reason he was pissed at us for months. It wasn't Gibbs, of course we had more cash when Lever and CC left. The only meaningful issue between his re-contracting and wanting out in 2017 was Otten's selection ahead of him in the GF.

Hate him for it all you like. But it's the reason that he's gone.
Fine, but I'm not buying it. He's a dead set sook and bad for team morale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we played him in a meaningless game when we knew he wasn’t right.
Wasn't it at training that he hurt himself?

The week off between qualifying final and preliminary final.

How we managed to turn a hard-earned week off into a season destroying negative is a mystery. Until you realise oh yeah... Burton.

Did he actually say that he felt he should have been picked in the GF? Those quotes just indicate disappointment that he couldn't play.

Wasn't it at training that he hurt himself?

The week off between qualifying final and preliminary final.

How we managed to turn a hard-earned week off into a season destroying negative is a mystery. Until you realise oh yeah... Burton.

Did he actually say that he felt he should have been picked in the GF? Those quotes just indicate disappointment that he couldn't play.

Greenwood (calf) and Lever (hammy) also hurt themselves in that week off.

Greenwood (calf) and Lever (hammy) also hurt themselves in that week off.
Hopefully next time we finish top two we'll lose the qualifying final

Much safer that way

It's not a doctor call, it was a hammy and he did a fitness test. Doctor is well removed from that.
So you were at the final session at Adelaide Oval?

The “fitness test” was pure PR. He was a mile from being available. He had a few kicks but never joined the main group. He wouldn’t have made it through the banner on Grand Final day.

Mitch strained his hammy in the week off when a few players were kicking torps at the end of the session. Perhaps you were at that session as well.

Please hand over the tin foil hat when your finished.

I feel that Govs real issue is his manager. The guy really sounds a knob. Surely his job is to mentor his client as well. Get them the best deal but explain the lay of the land. His manager also has a history with other clients. The AFL needs to look at the practice of some managers with contracted clients.

The problem is that managers like him create articles and discussion and keep the AFL in the news. That is what they want above all else - that all sporting discussions in the media start with an AFL story, no matter the time of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back