List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Very much sounds like we're going to play the way we have done in the past. I'm not sure that our game style stands up in modern day Footy anymore, but will give Ross this year to prove that it does. I'm not at the event so I'm unsure of the context of what Ross said. Anyone there?

Anyone else have anything against anywhere anytime and not want to hear it anymore?

Very much sounds like we're going to play the way we have done in the past. I'm not sure that our game style stands up in modern day Footy anymore, but will give Ross this year to prove that it does. I'm not at the event so I'm unsure of the context of what Ross said. Anyone there?
I think he's talking about how we played earlier this year - like Round 2 against Essendon. It was nothing like how we played in '12-'15. We just couldn't sustain it with injuries to key players and fatiguing youngsters.

I think he's talking about how we played earlier this year - like Round 2 against Essendon. It was nothing like how we played in '12-'15. We just couldn't sustain it with injuries to key players and fatiguing youngsters.

So he's basing the integrity of our supposedly new game style over the sample period of the last three seasons? That doesn't seem right.

I think its obvious by the clip and don't everybody jump on and say comonn its only 1.3 seconds of footage it tells me enough. and it tells me enough is enough is never enough. It tells me he doesn't have it in him to go that one final step to a grand final. I've said a hundred maybe double that even a thousand times!!! MY opinion is even if he gets the old flag here as a coach he'll never do it as a player so what good is he, my uncles nephews under 12's coach has taken 3 teams to premierships and knocked back Collingwood and Richmond to stay in Willetton but the Dockers ignore him every year because of ro$$ Lyons arrogance

That's my quarter shillings worth for free

Why did he knock back two AFL coaching jobs?

While I accept your overarching point that we will potentially be up against Carlton a lot, the players you have matched together are nowhere near like for like. Docherty is a back line distributor whereas Pearce is KPD (Wilson/Ryan is the closest we have to Doc). SPS is not a renowned running machine like BHill. Stocker and Sturt play completely different roles - although both need to improve their tanks.

I Literally took 7 minutes on those matchups happy for you to do a deep dive into the comparable matchups.

My point is Carlton are the GWS of 5 years ago have quality top 10 picks on each line, except with little or no go home factor.

From 2021 imo they are about to be top 4 for as long as Patrick Cripps is playing.

I Literally took 7 minutes on those matchups happy for you to do a deep dive into the comparable matchups.

My point is Carlton are the GWS of 5 years ago have quality top 10 picks on each line, except with little or no go home factor.

From 2021 imo they are about to be top 4 for as long as Patrick Cripps is playing.
I just don't see that. Not even close.

In no way are they building a 'dynasty' in the way we all thought GWS were.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bolton given the arse within the next two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I expect them to be long term finalists in a few years time - perhaps similar to the mid to late naughties when they had all those #1 picks under Ratten.

So he's basing the integrity of our supposedly new game style over the sample period of the last three seasons? That doesn't seem right.
He made a lot more reference to their preparation compared to what they were doing last year or the year before. What they were doing when he first arrived at the club is what he is going back too (pre-season, in-season training). The game-style, game-plan stuff is just an overarching comment.

I think its obvious by the clip and don't everybody jump on and say comonn its only 1.3 seconds of footage it tells me enough. and it tells me enough is enough is never enough. It tells me he doesn't have it in him to go that one final step to a grand final. I've said a hundred maybe double that even a thousand times!!! MY opinion is even if he gets the old flag here as a coach he'll never do it as a player so what good is he, my uncles nephews under 12's coach has taken 3 teams to premierships and knocked back Collingwood and Richmond to stay in Willetton but the Dockers ignore him every year because of ro$$ Lyons arrogance

That's my quarter shillings worth for free
Lol, Under 12s coach.. I can't even tell if this comment is serious...

The players Ross had at his disposal were a fair bit behind what he had when he had teams functioning well.

His game plan relies on a quality tall forward and quality small along with quality big bodied mids as much as it does defence. It’s no coincidence that when Pav retired and players like Mayne, Ballantyne, Sandilands, Barlow and Mundy dropped their output (let’s face it none of these guys are the players they were) we sucked.

Defence wise it relied on a solid back six and role players (and good players) that can actually stick tackles. I’ve been confident enough in our back six since probably this time last year at the latest. You wouldn’t think De Boer, Suban, Crowley and Mzungu would be hard to replace but they were mature bodies and that takes time.

Hard to say Ross Lyons game plan doesn’t work when we haven’t had the players to play anywhere near what it was in 2013. Watch one of our wins in the 2013-2015 period and then a loss this year and tell me it’s the same game plan. It might be the same game plan but ones a bunch of players who can play the game plan and the other is a bunch of kids getting bullied by more experienced opponents.

I just don't see that. Not even close.

In no way are they building a 'dynasty' in the way we all thought GWS were.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Bolton given the arse within the next two years.

No stress, we Agree to disagree. Sam Walsh, Paddy Dow, SPS, Cripps midfield imo is likened to the Brisbane dynasty in the early 2000’s. None of those players will be moving “home” either so all of that core will still be there in 2025

At this stage I expect them to be long term finalists in a few years time - perhaps similar to the mid to late naughties when they had all those #1 picks under Ratten.

Believe it’s a very different club to when Ratten was there in terms of footy structure and list management do not sure if I agree.

No stress, we Agree to disagree. Sam Walsh, Paddy Dow, SPS, Cripps midfield imo is likened to the Brisbane dynasty in the early 2000’s. None of those players will be moving “home” either so all of that core will still be there in 2025

Err .... no - just no.

The closest thing they can be likened to is the Carlton side the last time they stacked their midfield with number 1 draft picks and had no ability to develop the talent.

You'd think if they don't get out of the bottom two next season a lot of their players would be questioning the future and become open to moving to another club. I'm not sure how Bolton has managed to survive criticism as the shiny new coach feeling should have worn off long ago. Could easily become another Gold Coast if they don't start showing some improvement.

Cripps - Fyfe
Walsh - Cerra
Dow - Brayshaw
Stocker - Valente
Fisher - Langdon
SPS - Tucker

One list is destined for finals this year or the coach gets sacked! The other will never be any good. Bigfooty logic - there must be some crystal balls floating around somewhere.

I reckon Dow will be the pick of last years draft, and Walsh this years. That should make for a formidable engine room in a couple of years.

Cripps - Fyfe
Walsh - Cerra
Dow - Brayshaw
Stocker - Valente
Fisher - Langdon
SPS - Tucker

One list is destined for finals this year or the coach gets sacked! The other will never be any good. Bigfooty logic - there must be some crystal balls floating around somewhere.

I reckon Dow will be the pick of last years draft, and Walsh this years. That should make for a formidable engine room in a couple of years.
Cerra > Dow.

8R3BRxl.jpg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-28/lyon-flags-simpler-times-at-back-to-the-future-freo

Back to the future! :cool:

Back