worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
While re-watching the grand final DVD recently I noticed how often there was a digital clock visible in the background during play. There seems to be three digital time displays at the MCG, including on the major scoreboard, and this made me think about the possibility of putting an exact time on every major piece of play for the Bulldogs during our momentous grand final victory. Even when the players run out onto the field before play commences it is possible to catch a glimpse of the time. Also, during the presentations, the giant scoreboard in the background made the clock visible.

And so I went through the process of documenting every goal and other pieces of play which I thought were significant in helping us keep Sydney’s measure. I used the time counter on my DVD player to help keep track of what the time would be during passages when a digital clock was not visible for a couple of minutes here and there. I also put myself through a small amount of torment by watching two quarters of the 1961 grand final on YouTube to observe some of our previous grand final achievements.

I am willing to accept any suggestions if people think I might be a minute off here or there, and any ideas for inclusions of additional major happenings. Or if you think I have made any errors: for example, I have awarded our first tackle of the game to Johannisen, but if anybody thinks it should go to a different player, let me know.

PRE-GAME

2:14 Western Bulldogs Football Club run onto the field and through their banner
2:15 our team photo is taken
2:25 we assemble for the national anthem
2:28 Easton Wood wins the toss

Last edited:
FIRST QUARTER

2:30 Marcus Bontempelli gets our first touch after the centre bounce via a punch forward from the centre circle after Sydney wins the tap out.
Jason Johannisen gets our first handball, to Jordan Roughead, whilst falling to his knees just inside the centre square.
Bontempelli gets our first kick, a left foot pass to Tom Boyd who leaps above our inside 50 arc, but drops the mark.
Johannisen applies our first tackle, on Sam Naismith, opposite the Members’ wing. Matthew Boyd takes possession and advantage is paid.

2:33 Jason Johannisen takes our first mark, just backward of the wing from a Bontempelli pass.

2:42 Even though we have not yet scored, after 12 minutes of play we have restricted Sydney to one behind and thus curtailed their ability to score heavily in the first quarter, as they had done in their previous two finals.

2:49 Heath Grundy, after taking a mark deep in our forward 50 near the boundary, impulsively handballs to Callum Mills, who tries to run around Zaine Cordy, who had been standing the mark on Grundy. Mills is wrapped up in a perfect tackle, despite motioning to the umpire he had disposed of the footy with a handball. This results in a free to Zaine Cordy, who kicks our first goal in a grand final since Merv Hobbs at the 18 minute mark of the fourth quarter in 1961. Cordy takes his kick from outside the boundary line in the forward pocket. At the time the goal is signalled, 19 minutes and 54 seconds have passed in the quarter (nineteen fifty-four)

2:52 Tom Liberatore kicks across the centre of the ground to a 2 on 1 contest in our favour, where Easton Wood makes a sacrificial spoil which prevents Isaac Heeney from taking possession and thus allows Lachie Hunter to swoop on the ball and deliver a perfectly timed pass to Tory Dickson on a lead. Dickson subsequently kicks our second goal with a 40 metre set shot, putting us in front in a grand final for the first time since the 2 minute mark of the third quarter in 1961.

2:57 Lance Franklin takes the ball near the boundary, 45 metres from goal, but is grabbed by and manoeuvred over the line by Joel Hamling, who thus negates any chance of a late Sydney shot on goal with 20 seconds remaining.

Last edited:
SECOND QUARTER

3:07 Tom Boyd curls a left foot goal through from near the behind post after marking a pinpoint pass from Bontempelli who was practically standing on the boundary line near the wing when he took his kick.

3:13 Tory Dickson pounces on a loose ball after Heath Grundy drops a marking attempt and snaps our fourth goal.

3:15 Liam Picken kicks our next major with a deft right foot snap from a tricky angle close to goal after Lachie Hunter delivers an over-his-head handball. Our lead is presently a game high 16 points.

3:26 Jason Johannisen takes a strong mark over Dan Hannebery, coming from behind to take the grab. There is a touch of uncertainty from some commentators and boos from the crowd concerning whether the man in front should have been paid or whether Johannisen had held enough of the ball. There is a good photograph on page 46 of the souvenir publication Western Bulldogs Premiers 2016 which shows JJ clearly has solid claims on the mark.

Johannisen.jpg

3:31 Tom Boyd kicks our next goal after a long and perfectly executed pass from Bontempelli finds Boyd waiting right in front of goal.

3:34 With Sydney 8 points in front, Tom Mitchell sends a long kick into Sydney’s forward 50 where Joel Hamling takes a strong contested mark to prevent another scoring opportunity with 1:33 remaining.

3:36 Toby McLean grabs a loose ball 20 metres from goal and snaps a right foot goal with 11 seconds remaining to reduce the margin to 2 points going into half time.

Last edited:

THIRD QUARTER

4:06 Tory Dickson gives us back the lead, kicking his tenth goal in this finals series with a frenzied right foot snap near the goal square.

4:13 An attempt by Lance Franklin to burst past three Western Bulldogs players and deliver the ball into his forward 50 is nullified by a solid tackle from Hamling, causing Franklin to handball blindly over his shoulder.

4:14 We are 5 points in front when Josh Kennedy grabs the ball from a throw up, takes a few paces and attempts a shot on goal from about 30 metres out, only for Dale Morris to perform a brilliant diving smother, with another ball up resulting.

4:20 We are now 2 points behind when Dale Morris dives at a tumbling football on the Members’ wing to foil Tom Papley’s effort to take possession and kick the ball into Sydney’s forward 50. Morris is able to handball to Shane Biggs who kicks clear.

4:21 Clay Smith receives a free kick from 30 metres out on a testing angle. His left foot goal puts us back in front and we are not headed for the remainder of the game.

Last edited:
FOURTH QUARTER

4:39 Liam Picken catches Dane Rampe unaware with a fierce tackle inside our forward 50 and receives a free kick. Unfortunately Picken’s shot on goal does not score.

4:41 When Tom Papley kicks a behind for Sydney, the first score of the final quarter, it takes the scores to 61 Bulldogs, 54 Sydney, the two numbers providing a link to Footscray's two previous VFL grand final years.

4:46 Picken takes his spectacular mark over Jeremy Laidler just on the 50 metre arc of our goal scoring end.

4:47 Scores: 61 to 60. Jake Stringer receives the ball from a throw up close to goal and snaps truly with two opponents laying hands on him as he kicks.

4:53 Scores: 67 to 66. Liam Picken runs on to a loose ball in front of goal and stabs an important goal with 7:04 to go.

4:56 Scores: 73 to 66. Jason Johannisen kicks what is signalled as a goal from 50 metres out after balking an opponent.

4:57 Johannisen’s goal is overturned after a goal review, the scores reverting to 74 to 66.

4:58 Scores: 75 to 66. Dale Morris runs down Lance Franklin from behind with a grizzly bear strength tackle. The ball spills from Franklin’s grasp, allowing Tom Boyd to swoop and kick from within the centre square towards an open goal. The ball lands in the goal square, and then bounces slightly at an angle but goes through the big sticks, causing Brian Taylor on MMM to drop the F word.

4:59 Scores: 81 to 66. Ben McGlynn lines up for a goal to keep Sydney in the game with four and half minutes remaining. On Channel 7 Bruce McAvaney states, “They won’t come back if he misses”, evoking memories of his other well-known ESP moment with the Bulldogs from the round 17, 1990 clash with Collingwood when Steve Kolyniuk ran around Graeme Wright (“Will he take Wright on? Yes he does. I thought he would.”)
Sure enough, McGlynn kicks a behind.

5:02 Scores: 82 to 67. Liam Picken is hovering near the goal square with Jake Lloyd. A kick from Jake Stringer lobs over Lloyd’s head as he attempts to lay hands on the ball, allowing Picken to gain possession and run in to an open goal and ensure the dam wall will be busted.

5:04 Luke Beveridge enters the ground to celebrate with and congratulate players and staff on the boundary.

5:06 FINAL SIREN!!! The final scores read Western Bulldogs 13.11 (89) to Sydney 10.7 (67). Our final score is precisely the same, goals and behinds wise, as that which we kicked in the preliminary final the previous week versus GWS. During this game, the scores had also read 61 to 54, late in the third quarter.

Last edited:
POST GAME

5:11 Marcus Bontempelli tips a barrel of Gatorade over Luke Beveridge whilst Bevo is in the middle of a Channel 7 interview with Matthew Richardson.

5:19 Jason Johannisen is presented with the Norm Smith Medal by Shannon Grant.

5:20 Premiership medallions are presented to Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus and Lachie Hunter

5:21 Premiership medallions are presented to Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Zaine Cordy, Clay Smith and Toby McLean

5:22 Premiership medallions are presented to Tom Boyd, Fletcher Roberts, Josh Dunkley and Tom Liberatore.

5:23 Premiership medallions are presented to Jordan Roughead, Shane Biggs, Tory Dickson and Joel Hamling.

5:24 Premiership medallions are presented to Caleb Daniel, Dale Morris, Jason Johannisen and Liam Picken.

5:25 Premiership medallion is presented to Easton Wood.
Luke Beveridge is presented with the Jock McHale Medal by Leigh Matthews.

5:28 At the end of his speech, Luke Beveridge performs his magnanimous gesture of presenting his medal to Bob Murphy.
A beaming John Schultz hands the premiership cup to Easton Wood and Bob Murphy who jubilantly hoist it aloft.

5:29 The first photographs of our premiership team are taken as they sit with the cup in front of the dais.

Last edited:
11:12 - Brisdog gets kicked out of the Richmond Club Hotel for dropping an empty keg on his own head
11:19 - Brisdog is refused entry at the Royal
11:27 - Brisdog commences a monumental pilgrimage to the Whitten Oval from Richmond
11:58 - Brisdog finds a pair of soiled undies in an unknown laneway

FIRST QUARTER

2:30 Marcus Bontempelli gets our first touch after the centre bounce via a punch forward from the centre circle after Sydney wins the tap out.
Jason Johannisen gets our first handball, to Jordan Roughead, whilst falling to his knees just inside the centre square.
Bontempelli gets our first kick, a left foot pass to Tom Boyd who leaps above our inside 50 arc, but drops the mark.
Johannisen applies our first tackle, on Sam Naismith, opposite the Members’ wing. Matthew Boyd takes possession and advantage is paid.
2:33 Jason Johannisen takes our first mark, just backward of the wing from a Bontempelli pass.

2:42 Even though we have not yet scored, after 12 minutes of play we have restricted Sydney to one behind and thus curtailed their ability to score heavily in the first quarter, as they had done in their previous two finals.

2:49 Zaine Cordy kicks our first goal in a grand final since Merv Hobbs at the 18 minute mark of the fourth quarter in 1961. Cordy wins a free kick which is taken from outside the boundary line in the forward pocket. At the time the goal is signalled, 19 minutes and 54 seconds have passed in the quarter (nineteen fifty-four)

2:52 Tory Dickson kicks our second goal with a 40 metre set shot, putting us in front in a grand final for the first time since the 2 minute mark of the third quarter in 1961.

2:57 Lance Franklin takes the ball near the boundary, 45 metres from goal, but is grabbed by and manoeuvred over the line by Joel Hamling, who thus negates any chance of a late Sydney shot on goal with 20 seconds remaining.
I’d only add a bit more colour to those first two goals. Grundy’s brain fade that led to Mills getting getting wrapped up and pretending he’d hand balled it (not that long after Cordy had buried Hannebery in a tackle earlier in the quarter - not sure what time that was though!). It was a great goal for shaking off the nerves as a supporter but the Dickson one was one of my favourites. There was the lead up play of Wood’s sacrificial spoil but also Hunter swooping on it to hit Dickson with a perfectly timed lead and pass, followed by an authoritative kick for goal that never looked like missing, going through 3/4 height that in so many other finals we either failed to do or watch the opposition do to us.

I’d only add a bit more colour to those first two goals. Grundy’s brain fade that led to Mills getting getting wrapped up and pretending he’d hand balled it (not that long after Cordy had buried Hannebery in a tackle earlier in the quarter - not sure what time that was though!). It was a great goal for shaking off the nerves as a supporter but the Dickson one was one of my favourites. There was the lead up play of Wood’s sacrificial spoil but also Hunter swooping on it to hit Dickson with a perfectly timed lead and pass, followed by an authoritative kick for goal that never looked like missing, going through 3/4 height that in so many other finals we either failed to do or watch the opposition do to us.

I might use some of your descriptive key words to help insert the extra info with these two goals, seeing as you've made the effort to point out the specifics of what happened, once I get around to re-viewing the first quarter. I'll need to watch the quarter and take note of the passages of play you're referring to.

Insert halfway through the last - scores 61 to 54 (significant numbers in our history :) ) You don't have to insert :)
There was a similar scoreline just before 3/4 time in the prelim only with the Giants in front.

View attachment 589236

This shouldn't be hard to find, I know Bruce makes mention of it on Channel 7, though I think a minute or two after the score is registered.

FIRST QUARTER
2:49 Zaine Cordy kicks our first goal in a grand final since Merv Hobbs at the 18 minute mark of the fourth quarter in 1961. Cordy wins a free kick which is taken from outside the boundary line in the forward pocket. At the time the goal is signalled, 19 minutes and 54 seconds have passed in the quarter (nineteen fifty-four)

2:52 Tory Dickson kicks our second goal with a 40 metre set shot, putting us in front in a grand final for the first time since the 2 minute mark of the third quarter in 1961.

Surely this can't be a coincidence!!
Spooky!!! :eek::eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have added in the suggestions concerning the lead up to our first two goals and also when the scores read 61 to 54. I also decided to bold the times to make them stand out a bit more.

FOURTH QUARTER

4:39 Liam Picken catches Dane Rampe unaware with a fierce tackle inside our forward 50 and receives a free kick. Unfortunately Picken’s shot on goal does not score.

4:41 When Tom Papley kicks a behind for Sydney, the first score of the final quarter, it takes the scores to 61 Bulldogs, 54 Sydney, the two numbers providing a link to Footscray's two previous VFL grand final years.

4:46 Picken takes his spectacular mark over Jeremy Laidler just on the 50 metre arc of our goal scoring end.

4:47 Scores: 61 to 60. Jake Stringer receives the ball from a throw up close to goal and snaps truly with two opponents laying hands on him as he kicks.

4:53 Scores: 67 to 66. Liam Picken runs on to a loose ball in front of goal and stabs an important goal with 7:04 to go.

4:56 Scores: 73 to 66. Jason Johannisen kicks what is signalled as a goal from 50 metres out after balking an opponent.

4:57 Johannisen’s goal is overturned after a goal review, the scores reverting to 74 to 66.

4:58 Scores: 75 to 66. Dale Morris runs down Lance Franklin from behind with a grizzly bear strength tackle. The ball spills from Franklin’s grasp, allowing Tom Boyd to swoop and kick from within the centre square towards an open goal. The ball lands in the goal square, and then bounces slightly at an angle but goes through the big sticks, causing Brian Taylor on MMM to drop the F word.

4:59 Scores: 81 to 66. Ben McGlynn lines up for a goal to keep Sydney in the game with four and half minutes remaining. On Channel 7 Bruce McAvaney states, “They won’t come back if he misses”, evoking memories of his other well-known ESP moment with the Bulldogs from the round 17, 1990 clash with Collingwood when Steve Kolyniuk ran around Graeme Wright (“Will he take Wright on? Yes he does. I thought he would.”)
Sure enough, McGlynn kicks a behind.

5:02 Scores: 82 to 67. Liam Picken is hovering near the goal square with Jake Lloyd. A kick from Jake Stringer lobs over Lloyd’s head as he attempts to lay hands on the ball, allowing Picken to gain possession and run in to an open goal and ensure the dam wall will be busted.

5:04 Luke Beveridge enters the ground to celebrate with and congratulate players and staff on the boundary.

5:06 FINAL SIREN!!!
Can confirm - the timestamp on this pic on my phone is 5.06pm :)
TSA0QR7.jpg

I have added in the suggestions concerning the lead up to our first two goals and also when the scores read 61 to 54. I also decided to bold the times to make them stand out a bit more.
Excellent! Perhaps also bold the 61 and 54?

One more thing - please add final scores: another significant number , 89. (Which we also scored in the PF).

POST GAME

5:11 Marcus Bontempelli tips a barrel of Gatorade over Luke Beveridge whilst Bevo is in the middle of a Channel 7 interview with Matthew Richardson.

5:19 Jason Johannisen is presented with the Norm Smith Medal by Shannon Grant.

5:20 Premiership medallions are presented to Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Boyd, Luke Dahlhaus and Lachie Hunter

5:21 Premiership medallions are presented to Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Zaine Cordy, Clay Smith and Toby McLean

5:22 Premiership medallions are presented to Tom Boyd, Fletcher Roberts, Josh Dunkley and Tom Liberatore.

5:23 Premiership medallions are presented to Jordan Roughead, Shane Biggs, Tory Dickson and Joel Hamling.

5:24 Premiership medallions are presented to Caleb Daniel, Dale Morris, Jason Johannisen and Liam Picken.

5:25 Premiership medallion is presented to Easton Wood.
Luke Beveridge is presented with the Jock McHale Medal by Leigh Matthews.

5:28 At the end of his speech, Luke Beveridge performs his magnanimous gesture of presenting his medal to Bob Murphy.
A beaming John Schultz hands the premiership cup to Easton Wood and Bob Murphy who jubilantly hoist it aloft.
Epic post mate. Not enough love for it.
Welcome to the ranks of unreconstructed Bulldog tragics.

I decided to add one more time into the fourth quarter, that being 5:29 when the first photos of our premiership team were taken. Decided to add this after noticing the scoreboard clock in the background on the front cover of Against All Odds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back