Awesome attitude era moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Raw March 13 2000

Big Show's getting heavy in an unflattering way. If I recall correctly, later in the year he gets pulled from TV and sent to developmental until he gets in shape.

Dean Malenko has the lower body of a 50-year-old housewife. Good wrestler too.

Couldn't do this these days...

Dunno why people buy into Ambrose's d-grade attempt at Pillman's Loose Cannon angle.

They say the attitude era began in 97, but this angle was attitude before 97.

WrestleMania 2000

The only WrestleMania with the year in the name.

Watching it for the first time in a long time, I get why people don't love it. There's over 55 wrestlers and McMahons on the show. That's not an exaggeration. But I get why they crammed everyone in (only goes for 201 minutes). If you're under the age of about 28 you may not remember or know what a big deal "THE YEAR 2000" was. Everything had to be epic or make a statement about the new millennium. And this was WWE's big show for the year.

Triple H heel wins the main event in a way that's more annoying than shocking. The triangle ladder match is excellent and a lead in to TLC matches that will happen later. But Royal Rumble 2000 is a better PPV.

WrestleMania 2000

The only WrestleMania with the year in the name.

Watching it for the first time in a long time, I get why people don't love it. There's over 55 wrestlers and McMahons on the show. That's not an exaggeration. But I get why they crammed everyone in (only goes for 201 minutes). If you're under the age of about 28 you may not remember or know what a big deal "THE YEAR 2000" was. Everything had to be epic or make a statement about the new millennium. And this was WWE's big show for the year.

Triple H heel wins the main event in a way that's more annoying than shocking. The triangle ladder match is excellent and a lead in to TLC matches that will happen later. But Royal Rumble 2000 is a better PPV.

I remember watching it live , the Ladder match and the main event are the only matches i remember.

Was dirty-as when Foley was eliminated

I finished up the AE a few weeks back watching all the way through til WMX7. I decided to keep watching and am currently up to first Raw in June 2001.

Everything between WMX7 and Judgement Day was pretty by the numbers and after Judgement Day it felt like not much had progressed. The Austin heel turn fell flat and him teaming up with Triple H (the two man power trip) just feels weird.

I got to the point where I thought I'll keep watching the ppvs but skip the Raws/Smackdowns. I started up KotR 2001 and a few minutes in seemed I'd missed a tonne of storyline so thought I'll give the weekly shows one more go. Holy crap so glad I did. Every show since Judgement Day has had a phenomenal main event. Benoit/Jericho winning the titles from Austin/Triple H (the match where Triple H tears his quad), TLC3, Benoit/Austin in Calgary ending in a screwjob in front of a hot crowd and then the rematch a few days later in front of another hot crowd in Edmonton later that week. Phew! Have been skipping through most of the matches on the shows but gonna rewatch this quartet of matches which have been some of the best TV the WWF at that time had put on in a while.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SmackDown April 20 2000

Bubba Ray Dudley puts Lita through a table haha.

Big Show became a comedy character right after WrestleMania which I didn't know or remember.

Chyna becomes Eddie Guerrero's onscreen lover too right after WrestleMania. This marks the start of her decline, though nobody probably realised it at the time. She's gone from being a Xena independent type to... a wrestler's girlfriend. I'd also guess Triple H had started the real life affair with Stephanie by this point. So things didn't get better for Chyna unless you count the Playboy photoshoot which is probably in October? Her final WWF match is only 13 months away.

An interesting period. McMahons all over the shows of course.

Raw April 24 2000

22F079Y.jpg

I began watching WCW in 1998 - loved Goldberg and the streak. Became a pretty big Jericho fan. Also began watching WWF in 1999 and was all about The Rock. Watched both but by 2000 was very much in the WWF camp and felt sad watching WCW flounder. Began turning off around 2002/03 when Triple H was just a complete shell of his prior form and yet the Reign of Terror continued on unabated. Benoit and Wrestlemania 20 brought me back in, but my interested continued to diminish, especially after a loser like Bradshaw won the title. I was a pretty casual fan until Benoit's death in 2007, which was basically a clean break for me.

I've begun watching again this year, as well as doing a catch up on the last ten years (currently on Extreme Rules 2012).

I think people tend to view the historical product through rose-tinted glasses. WWE has always been a frustrating watch - bad angles, wrong people being pushed etc. There are definitely some aspects in which 2018 is better than it's been at any time previous. The talent now is better than it's ever been, you can always be sure that any PPV you watch will have at least one good match - that wasn't always the case. The women's stuff is amazing.

The Attitude Era deserves its share of praise - the arrival of Angle, Austin vs The Corporation, The Rock in all his glory, Foley's greatest period, Triple H being as great as any wrestler ever, TLC, The Radicalz, Wrestlemania X7, Summerslam 2002, The Hurricane. But some parts were the dribbling shits - Triple H's return from injury, The Undertaker having a terrible gimmick and being as bad as he's ever been, the stupidity that led to the Owen Hart tragedy, Kennel from Hell, Patterson/Brisco Evening Gown Match, Big Boss Man and Big Show's father's funeral, the absolute botch of the Invasion (and, particularly, DDP), The Oddities, KroniK, Viscera, Mideon, the worst Royal Rumble match ever in 1999, crowds chanting that Stephanie was a **** after she was supposedly drugged and raped.

I find the specific hate for the current product a bit OTT, honestly. I'm certainly preferring it to what I was watching in 2011 before CM Punk gave it a much needed kick in the arse. I'd prefer to watch now than the trash of the late 1980s, or the funk they were in after Hogan left and it was just Bret left with a bunch of losers. It's definitely frustrating now, but in that there's so much talent being wasted, as opposed to there not being much talent at all.

My too long two cents, anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back