Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it be a matter of keeping one of Coniglio or Kelly?
It shouldn't be, we have the cap space now to retain both, we can't match the payment for "go home" factor if it becomes an issue.
No indication so far that we should be worried

So let's say the travel is a major issue for Cogs?

Why would he choose Hawthorn? They travel interstate a grand total of one less time than West Coast next season.

If it is a concern he will avoid Hawthorn, North and Melbourne who all sell their home games interstate.
Why do you want to make this about Hawthorn?

GWS already pushed out the midfielder most likely to leave, receiving excellent valued in exchange, and they got rid of some financial deadweight (Scully) as well. They're clearing room for Kelly and Cogs to receive big long term contracts, and I'd guess both will stay.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's one of the top 10 midfielders in the league, part the truly elite - he's skilled, smooth, strong, versatile, a leader, a two-way runner, goal kicking and can play both inside and outside.

I love watching him play and always take in my SC sides, so naturally I hope that we throw everything we can at him.

It's a GWS issue but I think both WA teams would be offering him considerable cash.

Fundamentally it's about Cogs not us or any other club. FA is supposed to empower the player to choose and it will.

He will end up where he wants to end up. I have no doubt neither WA would hang up on his manager ringing to discuss Cogs playing there. It only ever seems to be one club in Perth pursues any player and I suspect however that works it will happen again.

I think notions that he will want us to be compensated via a trade are silly, and I hope untrue. It's his, and his managers job to look after himself, the club will look after it's interests.

That was under the assumption they'd match given the amount of salary they shed at the end of this year.

Of course would love him for free but can't see it happening and would be prepared to trade big for him instead.
I would still be surprised if shedding 2 players would give them enough to match the Blues if it came to it.

I would still be surprised if shedding 2 players would give them enough to match the Blues if it came to it.
Not sure what that means.

A club with as many players off contract for 2020 as we do could easily come up with $2m for that year if we wished. The problem is we'd likely be saying goodbye to guys like Hopper, Haynes, Tomlinson, Kennedy etc.

My point is there just aren't absolutes like that. It's a complex balance and it's about priorities. We all like things to be simple but sometimes they aren't. Even the TPP can be easily manipulated if you're willing to into "debt" with backended contracts.

Cogs is a man of few public words about his contract status and will handle himself with utter professionalism in 2019.

A few thoughts as to what might tip Cogs.

The main aspects likely to shape Cogs decisions are:
- culture of the club
- prospects of a flag
- respect for the coach and game strategy
- leadership opportunities
- prospects after football
- fair money (note he is not someone likely to go for the highest bidder)

1. He has strong loyalty and values plus is really enjoying life in Sydney and at GWS. A coaching spill, a loss of too many top GWS players, a drop down the ladder might impact his decision but GWS have to be in the front line of betting to sign him 2020 and beyond. Likely to also be dangling the captaincy.

2. West Coast - he grew up supporting the club and he has close family in Perth. The Eagles are a close second to land him and the flag in 2018 means he knows we are there or thereabouts and joining West Coast would only move the club closer to being favourites in the next 3 to 4 years. The club culture is strong and he would have greater opportunities after football going back home. Freo may think they have a chance but the toxic Lyon will go a long way to turn him off Freo. Maybe Bell can swing some changes but Freo will need to do a lot on-field in a very short time to make him think there is a flag in the next 5 years. He has an astute football brain and will know the limitations of "2 goals short Ross". The threat of 12 flights a year is hardly a worry.

3. Melbourne somewhere - I laugh at the Hawthorn banter that he is besties with Jaeger so that will mean everything in getting him across the line. I would expect Cogs will take a good look at Melbourne and would find some attractions as a city and even the s**t traffic will be less of an issue for someone used to driving in Sydney. Question will be can Melbourne topple Sydney for lifestyle. Melbourne has a lot to offer so not discounting it but he is pretty settles in Sydney. What clubs might he choose? Those he considers as contenders and strong clubs. That puts Tigers, Pies and Hawks in play. Melbourne not likely as he wont make that much difference and the club has not go culture that will entice him.

Money wise - he is a million dollar player and so whether it is $1.1 or 1.3 mln, it will not be that big a factor. He will get fairly compensated.

Personally, I think West Coast are the only real option other that GWS. Roving to NicNat (great friends with) and a midfield of Cogs/Shuey/Yeo/Redden/Gaff and tossing Hutching the tagging role would be appealing. Simpson and his coaching strategy will be talked about in 2019 big time as will the jump West Coast has in playing 2 ruckmen and as the new rules come become clearer, the need for top line KPP's will only intensify. With Kennedy/Darling/McGovern/Barrass as the core spine plus great back-up and excellent young KPP underneath, the future looks bright.

Maybe I am dreaming about West Cost landing him. Time will tell but I do not see his decision being played out like Lynch or Dusty.

Reality is that he will not s**t on the Giants if he leaves so any club likely to want him will need to trade for him sa I see him not wanting to leave GWS empty handed.

What would we offer for a trade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions will be making a pitch for A grade free agents over the next few years and Stephen Coniglio would be a perfect fit alongside Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Zac Bailey and Cameron Rayner, I wouldn't count us out in a play for Coniglio, who would of thought Lachie Neale would have come to us.

Would love one of him or Kelly at the Dees. Some would consider them surplus to the midfield, but we can juggle things around and make it work. We'll be less a Lewis in 12 months time anyway, and Jones only has a couple of seasons left in the tank. Plus we've got $$$ to splash.

Cant see Coniglio going anywhere apart from Perth if he did decide to leave GWS

Personally i see Kelly leaving in a trade and that would enable the giants to keep a few of their out of contract players whilst getting 2x 1st rounders in the trade
But Coniglio would look comfortable in a Eagles guernsey

I think players and their managers are smarter about a clubs prospects than your average fan. It's about how they see the clubs future over the length of their stay, not the past I think.

Agree and thats why i wouldnt have hawthorn in the picture should he be contemplating a move.
FWIW i think he stays at GWS ...

What would we offer for a trade?
The offer would need to be a first and second rounder as a reasonable offer. Difference to Shiel is that he out of contract and UFA.

Not sure if that gets it done - we may need to drop in the Sydney second rounder we picked up and get a third back.

The problem is that I expect we will be able to be there or thereabouts in 2019 and 2020 so 2 first rounders are not that enticing when late teens

The offer would need to be a first and second rounder as a reasonable offer. Difference to Shiel is that he out of contract and UFA.

Not sure if that gets it done - we may need to drop in the Sydney second rounder we picked up and get a third back.

The problem is that I expect we will be able to be there or thereabouts in 2019 and 2020 so 2 first rounders are not that enticing when late teens
RFA

I'd be stunned if gws keep Tomlinson and haynes while not stars they are great foot soldiers.

I'd be stunned if gws keep Tomlinson and haynes while not stars they are great foot soldiers.
Both are priorities. Not stars is a very relative term. Haynes is certainly below McGovern but he's in the top few intercept markers in the game.

Tomlinson is a bit of an enigma. I think we had to let him play as a key defender for the best part of two years, to allow him to develop and find a comfort zone. Now that's done he's very versatile. The coaches love him because he can be given a tagging role on a mid. Used to blot out out a tall or as a hard running wing. Even a pinch hitting ruckin required.

Their salaries aren't new, just on the unallocated part of the TPP for 2020 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back