The Travel Thread 🚗 🚢 ✈

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re travelling to Croatia in May, coming in from Italy....anyone been to Croatia

I have questions on car hire...

Thanks

1548151074886.png

Here's a shot from Croatia.
What do you need to know about car hire? We got upgraded without a fuss.

1548151215956.png

...and a shot from Rome

Stunning photos Harks.
I hated Rome when I was there last year. I wanted to love it but just couldn’t.

Didn't like Rome? Why?

I loved Rome but not for the touristy things.
Just enjoyed mixing with people, going out for dinners and simply discovering things not on the 'have to see' list.
Rule #1 of travel. Don't do what everybody else does....although i did go to The Colosseum, where we had more fun outside than for the ruins inside.

1548207160298.png

Harks, you’ve pretty much outlined why I hated it. We didn’t do it right.
Did the touristy things, stayed 150 mtrs from the Trevi fountain, did the tourist map of “all things to see”
Hated how dirty, busy and touristy it was.

Love my food, didn’t find a decent restaurant to eat at.

I’m the “when I’m over it, I hate it types” just couldn’t find my way back to enjoy it.

Loved every other bit of Europe that we visited, just not Rome. Loved the Amalfi Coast.

Topped it off with the 4 hour exit at the Rome airport.

Planning to base ourselves out of London Xmas, New Year period as my son is going to be there for a year from September 2019.

Planning to visit other parts of Italy when we are there. Will attempt to delve into the “real” Italy. Want to savour the culture & the food from a more traditional perspective.

Harks, you’ve pretty much outlined why I hated it. We didn’t do it right.
Did the touristy things, stayed 150 mtrs from the Trevi fountain, did the tourist map of “all things to see”
Hated how dirty, busy and touristy it was.
Love my food, didn’t find a decent restaurant to eat at.

I’m the “when I’m over it, I hate it types” just couldn’t find my way back to enjoy it.

Loved every other bit of Europe that we visited, just not Rome. Loved the Amalfi Coast.

Topped it off with the 4 hour exit at the Rome airport.

Planning to base ourselves out of London Xmas, New Year period as my son is going to be there for a year from September 2019.

Planning to visit other parts of Italy when we are there. Will attempt to delve into the “real” Italy. Want to savour the culture & the food from a more traditional perspective.

I hear you. Most restaurants were ordinary but we found a really good one in the heart of Rome. I think it was some simple name like 'Amore'

This is actually my favourite shot of Rome and probably signifies my feelings of it............one has to dig deeper.

1548751952039.png

So this is really unglamorous, but I went on a cruise of the South Pacific over summer.

The itinerary was pretty ordinary (the islands it stopped at has nice beaches, but not much else to see), but my family had an absolute blast. Best holiday since we've had kids. By. A. Mile.

Loved the food, kids club, the service, the amenities (shows, performers, piano bar, adults-only pool). So much more. And we weren't even on one of the luxury brands or the latest, fanciest-shmanciest ship either.

First holiday in years that my wife and I have actually managed to properly relax.

Firmly recommend to anyone, especially families.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back