Society/Culture Christchurch Mosque mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

I ordered water here because it has rained about five days in three months, told the water cartage bloke I wasn’t from here because he could tell that i recently moved from Victoria

His answer?

“Oh I heard that the Africans are shooting people. So you left because of the game violence?”

That’s the divide, and it’s a divide we need to all overcome
It's pretty hard to overcome that s**t when information is being provided by a very small, like minded cabal.

Oh god, watched 24 seconds of the video. Worst video I have ever watched.

Heartless bastard. Death is too good for him. Hope they get him alive so he can rot like Martin Bryant.

I got a feeling that the Australian gun laws will be mentioned quite a lot in NZ in the coming weeks.
I’ve seen worse. My guess he has killed before. Apparently he was in Pakistan only few months back. I’d like to know why he was in Pakistan myself.

Have you watched CNN or NBC or listened to the vitriol that is spewed from Hollywood and the music industry lately. Both sides are as bad as each other.

You need help mate. You're ****** crazy.
That is just so ineffably stupid that it doesn't even qualify as false equivalence, it's just stumblebum dumbness.

Anyone who's more familiar with 4chan and 8chan.

Is it mostly trolls or are these people serious? It's genuinely baffling that anyone can be that utterly stupid. Some of the s**t they're posting about the being a Jewish Psyop; holy dumb Batman!

It's a lot of trolling and edgelord nonsense but the problem is many of these people spend every day on there engaging in such behaviour and after a while the jokes become second-nature and, eventually, their actual opinion. What starts out as "I'm going to say the most offensive thing possible" becomes "I've spent months or years in this endlessly toxic, offensive place and it has warped my opinions so that I have become one with it."

It's far from the first time a person has advertised that they were going to do a massacre (and then successfully followed through on it) on those forums. They are a cesspit.

This is all very nice rhetoric but it misses the point of the bill - to intercept any communication suspected of leading to a crime with imprisonment of at least three years. There is no public oversight of the bill and organisations and individuals who are not suspected of a crime can be completely unaware their communications are being monitored.

It is an illiberal law. You framing it as liberal is out of step with every other interpration of the law.

So it only penalizes people who communicate their intent to commit a crime?

You're aware we already have 'conspiracy to commit' offences right?

Like, in WA if you order 1kg of Meth on the phone, you could already be being wiretapped, and your ordering of the Heroin (regardless of if it's actually sugar, or if it's even ever delivered to you) will lead to you being convicted of the offence of conspiracy.

How is this different?

From where I sit, it only goes one step further and tracks encrypted communications via encryption apps, instead of phone calls.

Or are you suggesting we leave the sophisticated encrypted calls alone, and just monitor dumb *s that still talk on phones or some s**t?

Tony Windsor cashing in on a tragedy to score votes. He is the disgrace (although anning is in a class of his own)
Nah.

At some stage the dog whistlers have to be called out. Good on Tony Windsor for doing so.

So it only penalizes people who communicate their intent to commit a crime?

You're aware we already have 'conspiracy to commit' offences right?

Like, in WA if you order 1kg of Meth on the phone, you could already be being wiretapped, and your ordering of the Heroin (regardless of if it's actually sugar, or if it's even ever delivered to you) will lead to you being convicted of the offence of conspiracy.

How is this different?
Err no, it penalises anyone who uses a communication platform from Bigfooty to Telegram to Facebook. It’s like putting a wiretap on everyone who uses these platforms in the hope to catch the few bad actors.

Anyone who's more familiar with 4chan and 8chan.

Is it mostly trolls or are these people serious? It's genuinely baffling that anyone can be that utterly stupid. Some of the s**t they're posting about the being a Jewish Psyop; holy dumb Batman!
On 4 chan you take everything with a grain of salt, however it is far more then the pol board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're comparing CNN to murderers?

Mate. You quite rightly denounce the right wing crazies/Nazi's (a small proportion of the population) yet you defend the same on the left who are just as discriminatory, divisive and dangerous as the far right.

Until we can throw away our left/right wing biases and look at problems on face value these issues will never get resolved.

Mate. You quite rightly denounce the right wing crazies/Nazi's (a small proportion of the population) yet you defend the same on the left who are just as discriminatory, divisive and dangerous as the far right.

Until we can throw away our left/right wing biases and look at problems on face value these issues will never get resolved.
The left is not responsible for another mass killing. The alt right has a terrorist wing that is killing people.

There is no equivalence.

Can you please give me such an example of 'Left wing' terrorism in the past few decades?

From where I sit, it's all been the Islamists and the RWNJ's.

I wonder if anyone else saw Scott Morrison on the Channel 9 news this evening. I don't know if it was just me be he looked like he was trying very hard not to smile when he was talking about this atrocity. He was really, really creepy - more so than usual.

Not sure if this is the same footage.

Rambling? Yeah. Insincere? Perhaps, at a stretch. But mirthful? I think you're seeing what you want to see.

People overwhelmingly radicalize on the internet. Islamic fundies and RWNJs alike.

I'm more than happy for law enforcement to have the powers to infiltrate those websites and encrypted communications and hold those alt right and Islamists to account.

It's no different to a search warrant or phone tap. Get probable cause, intercept those communications and string the bastards up by the heels.

A law is liberal if it seeks to combat or address a harm like murder, rape, theft, fraud etc (and this is clearly a harm), and the law is proportionate to that harm, with appropriate checks and balances.

If ASIO want to hack into and monitor RWNJs phones and 8chan and Stormfront they have my ******* blessing.

Ditto if they want to do it to the Islamist terrorists or any other group of hate preaching nutters prome to mass killings.
Its equal parts predictable and creepy the way common folk always overreact in the wake of a terrorist attack by demanding government & police be given increased surveillance powers over the population. Rarely any mention of appropriate oversight either.

I have three quick questions for you or anyone who proposes the same:

1. What guarantee would we have handing police/government such powers would actually reduce the frequency of terrorist attacks, which are already less common in Australia than death by lightning bolts or shark attacks? (time to string up terrorizing sharks by their heels?)
2. What guarantee would we have such powers wouldn't be abused, used for political purposes or gradually widened to include other kinds of behavior ASIO deems "against national interests"?
3. Who are you willing to entrust with the power to decide which websites and "encrypted communications" are included in the snoop list? Should BigFooty private messages be included? How about your personal email inboxes and all your social media accounts?

Its pretty easy to argue for increased surveillance or a reduction of democratic privileges for other people safe knowing you won't be affected. Similar to old men arguing for conscription.

Here is the bill you're talking about:

https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInf...toc_pdf/18204b01.pdf;fileType=application/pdf

Please direct me to the section that imposes a 3 year jail sentence for using an encryption app.
That’s not what I said. It was that a platforms encrypted communications could be decrypted under this bill due to suspicion for any significant crime (penalty 3+ years in jail).

That’s fairly broad. There’s also the metadata bill which has allowed everyone down to local councils see which websites you’ve visited or phone calls you’ve made

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/metadata-spying-by-local-councils-on-the-rise-20150619-ghs0dg.html

Although thousands of these authorisation requests were made by criminal law enforcement agencies, including police, a long list of other government agencies have also accessed metadata without a warrant to chase fines or to protect revenue, including a growing number of local city councils, Australia Post, the RSPCA, racing bodies and more. The data is also used by agencies to investigate leaks to the media.​

Is this liberal?

It's pretty hard to overcome that s**t when information is being provided by a very small, like minded cabal.
I grew up in Melbourne, I love the place to death, I miss it so much that watching the Grand Prix at the moment brings a tear to my eye, and I boarded the Spirit when that dickhead killed the bloke from cafe and I was depressed

Labor winning in a landslide gave me hope

Remove this Banner Ad

Back