Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton V Port Adelaide Saturday 30th March 5.10PM @ Adelaide Oval - TEAM - Post #727

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAbroad

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
VIDEO | PODCAST

Last Time they met

Round 15, 2018 at the MCG

Carlton 10.9.69 def by Port Adelaide 13.12.90

In Simmo’s 300th game, we grinded Port for about 3 quarters before they ran away with it.

Turnovers and goals in red time ultimately cost us, as was the theme of 2018.

Simpson (37 touches), Murphy (32) and Cripps (33) led the way for us with Charlie kicking 4 goals

Moments from Motlop, Wingard and Dixon put the game away for Port.

What I’m excited about

If we can limit the horrific turnovers we committed against them last time, I think we match up fairly well against them.

Another round for our forward line to develop and grow

Being able to run out quarters better

Without Ollie Wines, Cripps should be able to get us first use of the ball and give us every opportunity to create something from stoppages

If he plays, Dixon is not fully fit - which bodes as good timing for us.

What I’m mindful about

It’s a big ask to get a result from either of the Adelaide teams away from home.

Robbie Gray - traditionally plays well against us and I'm not sure who is the best matchup for him.

If we don't put a good showing in next week, the pressure will mount quickly on the boys - an early win is just a must for us.

The unknown factor of Port - as of writing this I haven't seen them play.

Prediction

Carlton by 8

Last edited:
In: Kreuzer if fit, JSOS if fit, LOB
Out: Phillips, Fasolo, Garlett

Walsh, Setterfield, Newman to continue their good start to the season.

Fisher, Samo, Dow to lift and produce more numbers in the midfield.

Weitering to be a rock again in defence.
Would like Plowman to okay with more intent and intensity. Needs to go for 2nd and 3rd efforts.

Charlie to brush off the cobwebs and get back to basics. Lead, take marks, kick goals.

In: Kreuzer
Out: Phillips

Just the one change here. I don't think we need to omit anybody else yet on the back of yesterday's performance.

Fasolo and Garlett need a block of games to properly assess. I'm confident that Fasolo's impact will sequentially increase whilst Garlett needs to be given more opportunities against teams that aren't in the top 4 to learn his role properly.

Wholesale changes coming around round 3-4 with the likes of Marchbank, Williamson and LOB ready to come in and reinforce that defence with rebound, run and beautiful disposal.

Only one change for mine.

Jones will be suspended and Goddard will replace him.

This team, as expected with a whole heap of new players, is not gelled well at all. Particularly up forward. It needs plenty of games together and if after a few weeks nothing is happening, then make some changes if warranted.

Kreuzer, Williamson, Marchbank etc to play a VFL game before coming back.

Continuity and players learning to play together is key here.

Would like Plowman to okay with more intent and intensity. Needs to go for 2nd and 3rd efforts.
He had 11 1%'ers, the most on the ground and ran at 100% disposal efficiency with 91% game time.
He also clearly had a role to nullify dusty when he was playing forward and did a bloody good job.
I swear some people just have a hit list of players and pot shot them no matter how they play.

In: Kreuzer if fit, JSOS if fit, LOB
Out: Phillips, Fasolo, Garlett

Walsh, Setterfield, Newman to continue their good start to the season.

Fisher, Samo, Dow to lift and produce more numbers in the midfield.

Weitering to be a rock again in defence.

Charlie to brush off the cobwebs and get back to basics. Lead, take marks, kick goals.

You cant drop Fasolo after 1 game. He pinched a goal. He needs a few weeks at least. Hes one of the only blokes on our list capable of kicking 30+ goals this year. He stays.

Kruez and LOB in
Phillips and Garlett out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on Plowman getting another run? Honestly he had some moments that were cringe and some good moments.

If JSOS comes in for him I wouldn't complain at all.

I'd simply go in with the same 22.

Can't see any obvious changes that will make us immediately better, until the likes of Kreuzer, Williamson, Marchbank and possibly Lang, are good to go.
(Can't bring Docherty & Pickett into this conversation.)

Why Lang?
Not sold on him at all, but at least he can kick a goal and may overtake the likes of Gibbons, although Lang & Fasolo in the same team may not work.

Can’t see any changes. Kruezer Kennedy haven’t played and LOB won’t be promoted yet.

If anything I would bring in Casboult as a big bodied forward relief ruck. He’s not the future but we need a pack crashed up forward. IMO Charlie & McGovern aren’t KPP. They are mobile types. Charlie needs to be up the ground

Early Call

Simpson Jones/Goddard Newman
Garlett Weitering Thomas

Phillips Curnow Dow
Charlie Cripps Walsh

Murphy Casboult Cuningham
McGovern McKay Fasolo

Plowman Setterfield Fisher SPS

Unlucky Gibbons but I think he is a mid not a small forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad