My Burning Question

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
Why did NMFC show Waite (a genuine ripping forward who caused major headaches for the opposition) the door, to then play Tom Campbell as a 2nd tall forward????? Am I missing something?

I’d understand moving Waite on if Wood and/or Larkey were getting a crack up forward. But Tom Campbell???? I’m not having a crack at Campbell, but I assumed he was purely insurance for Goldy.

I rate this move even more bizarre than showing Boomer the door and then playing Hrovat.

He was hugely important to us but you have to wonder why Maj or Larkey weren't tried forward more often in the lead up to his retirement.

Imagine if we midseason drafted him.

Last edited:
He said himself - surely the article is still out there - that Brad told him we wanted to explore all our options in the off season and we wouldnt know if we could offer him a new contract until near the end of trade period. W80 was already tossing up whether to play on and figured he would just call it on the spot.

He didn't explicitly say "if they aren't sure they want me why would I effin bother?" but that's what I read into it.

Brad couldn't guarantee him a contract right there and then in late August 2018.
Basically said hold on until October and see where we are at.
Poorly handled and with the 6-6-6 Waite would have been offered more room to roam and who knows?
A fit Waite would have us at 2-1 right now.

A * up of epic proportion and considering the donkey we call coach knew about the supposed rule changes I don't understand why he didn't pencil in Waite for another year. I'm so ******* pissed off.

Brad couldn't guarantee him a contract right there and then in late August 2018.
Basically said hold on until October and see where we are at.
Poorly handled and with the 6-6-6 Waite would have been offered more room to roam and who knows?
A fit Waite would have us at 2-1 right now.

A **** up of epic proportion and considering the donkey we call coach knew about the supposed rule changes I don't understand why he didn't pencil in Waite for another year. I'm so ******* pissed off.

The fact we dither right to the line re-signing players points to how all over the place we really are with our planning.

If you entire list strategy hinges on whether Andrew Gaff wants to sign or not then you're ******* already.

Why did NMFC show Waite (a genuine ripping forward who caused major headaches for the opposition) the door, to then play Tom Campbell as a 2nd tall forward????? Am I missing something?

I’d understand moving Waite on if Wood and/or Larkey were getting a crack up forward. But Tom Campbell???? I’m not having a crack at Campbell, but I assumed he was purely insurance for Goldy.

I rate this move even more bizarre than showing Boomer the door and then playing Hrovat.

Didn't he retire? His body shot?

His body was stuffed. 37 of 67 games in the last three years, and it was highly unlikely to get any better. You need consistency to progress and he couldn't provide it. Personally I have no issue with his departure.

Signing Tom Campbell as a backup ruckman, in case Goldy is injured, again, no issue.

But playing Tom Campbell as a forward, when we have the 20 year old VFL leading goalkicker on our list, just baffles me.

If we pushed I'm sure Waitey would have gone on. Should have happened.
The issue was his ability to get on the park. If he could only contribute 10 games, was it really worth it?

The issue was his ability to get on the park. If he could only contribute 10 games, was it really worth it?
I actually think so from a development point of view. The team would win more games too which also assists development.

Problem is we never played McKay or Larkey in those other 10-12 games, and look where we are now.
Yes, in a nutshell that's the real issue. Durdin, McKay and Larkey, prior to this year had under 10 games between them, despite often doing well in VFL. We have recruited them to shore up KP stocks, with two of them being first round picks. Yet we have not thought about blooding them in, and now have absolutely no chance of fielding a half competent forward line.

The fact we dither right to the line re-signing players points to how all over the place we really are with our planning.

If you entire list strategy hinges on whether Andrew Gaff wants to sign or not then you're ******* already.
It happened 2 summers in a row and will happen again this year.
For all the bullshit about not landing a big fish surely it stems down to no one wants to actually come and play under Scott?
Players want to win and we dont.

The things that makes me realise what a dud coach Brad Scott is...….... In 2019, Ben Brown has been struggling as the no.1 target up forward. Ben Mackay was drafted as KPF forward/back. Ben Mackay hasn't exactly set the world on fire as the club's KP back. Here is an idea, lets give Ben Mack a run up forward as a CHF. It MIGHT help ease the pressure off Ben Brown as the sole target up forward. It MIGHT give Ben Mackay a bit of confidence, if he can take a few grabs and kick a couple.

So heres what our dud coach does. He leaves Ben Brown to struggle up forward. He leaves Ben Mackay to struggle down back. He brings in a mature aged ruckman reject from the Dogs to play in the FL with Benny Brown. Because its going to work this time. It was failure with Hale, Hamish and Currie. But its going to work with Campbell.....The man is delusional !

Meanwhile, we don't know if Ben Mackay can play KPF, because Brad refuses to play him there (and give Ben Brown much needed support) !

This is why Brad Scott has to go.....No imagination, no innovation.....

Scott may have been a great Assistant Coach. But I am afraid that is his ceiling.....

Back