TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Great 2 page article with photos today in the Weekend West by Steve Butler. Not online as far as we can see.
It discusses the West Coast Eagles efforts to support International Footy, and several interviews with a player from some International clubs.
The Eagles are now affiliated with 21 International CLUB teams around the world, which includes more than one CLUB in certain countries.
We do not know if this is the most International teams for an AFL Club.
17 Countries involved.
Canada, France, Sweden, New Zealand, USA, India, Italy, Cambodia, China, Germany, Scotland, Singapore, Fiji, Croatia, Norway, Netherlands, PNG.

There is general agreement amongst that group of CLUBS that the game has two attractions-The game itself and the Community/Family enviroment created
within the Clubs. Very welcoming was the main comment.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have put this article here to reduce the number of topics and threads on this section of the forum.

That statement completely baffles me.
This thread is about international (Australian Football) development.
Your article is solely concerned with the AFL poaching Gaelic Footballers.
That doesn't advance Australian Football and doesn't really advance the AFL.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Well it is International and the AFL is involved in getting these players, and will be a template of sorts for the future for our International game about 2040/50.
We think a 20/30 year time frame for the game to develop Internationally to enable semi-pro leagues to form is possible.
Who is going to argue that it wont - Nobody really knows at this time.

Do not like the term poaching -The Irish players are being offered pro contracts and play in a different type Amateur football code to ours -and most of them return to Ireland after varying periods anyhow.
So should they play here for just the experience and forgo the money.
Poaching was/is a form of stealing back in the day, and means taking something without the owners consent.

So the NFL code is attracting punt kickers from our game to their code - Is that poaching or as above being offered contracts.

Nobody is posting here anyhow at this time - The tumble weeds are everywhere on most threads, and the care factor for International Footy on here is low also.

Wookie is the moderator for this section and he has the final say always.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Wookie is the moderator for this section and he has the final say always.

Well, that's not entirely right, but yea, he has a say. :)

I do get your point though.

Does the NZAFL have a register where Kiwi players can let them know they exist?

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well it is International and the AFL is involved in getting these players.

Yes, it's about the AFL sourcing some players from outside Australia.
IMO it's not about significant developments like countries RSA, PNG, NZ, China etc.
IMO it's not about significant developments like schools programs, youth leagues and women's leagues.
ATM I'd argue that the AFLW has the biggest international impact.

We think a 20/30 year time frame for the game to develop Internationally to enable semi-pro leagues to form is possible.

"We" ? IMO there are a number of developments with possibilities with N.Z. and China being at the top.
IMO school programs leverage the greatest results and potential but obviously that is long term.
IMO the AFL is missing a great opportunity for the AFLW to have a huge international aspect.
There are actually some "semi-pro" players, coaches and administrators.
I don't know how more Irishmen will help that. It hasn't done anything for the Irish league.

So the NFL code is attracting punt kickers from our game to their code - Is that poaching or as above being offered contracts.

If those players were potential AFL players then Yes.
I believe all the Irishmen poached by the AFL were GAA material.

The tumble weeds are everywhere on most threads, and the care factor for International Footy on here is low also.

IMO Australian Football overseas will receive the biggest boost when Australians become informed on the extent of Australian Football overseas.
The AFL has little interest outside of what directly benefits the AFL.

Nobody is posting here anyhow at this time.

There is very little reason to do so. People involved in Australian Football overseas are too busy running and promoting their own club.
There is a lot going on with Australian Football overseas but information is usually posted in relevant circles.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Well, that's not entirely right, but yea, he has a say. :)

I do get your point though.

Does the NZAFL have a register where Kiwi players can let them know they exist?

They must have some sort of set up because in the recent match NZ Falcons against the AFL Academy side at Marvel Stadium saw them pick some???? players who were playing in Australia. How extensive and current their info is do not know.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some time ago I proposed the need for an independent body to help advise the AFL on matters pertaining to the organic growth of Australian Football.
One issue to for Australian Football to agree on a uniform set of laws under the same circumstances like reduced size and numbers etc.
Thoughts ?

AFWrules#1.jpg

Nov 2, 2004
Yulee
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some time ago I proposed the need for an independent body to help advise the AFL on matters pertaining to the organic growth of Australian Football.
One issue to for Australian Football to agree on a uniform set of laws under the same circumstances like reduced size and numbers etc.
Thoughts ?

My thought is "good luck". There are thousands if not millions of people who all have opinions on what the rules should or shouldn't be, so good luck mucking about in the mud with them.

All leagues have the ability to accept/reject the laws or adapt them as they see fit, and already do that.

I don't think they need an independent body, I think they need a unified body made up of the football bodies in each nation.

Oh yeah, and the fullback is not currently penalised for kicking it out of bounds since they brought in the ability for the full back to run out of the square without kicking to themself - at least the league I am involved in anyway.

Last edited:

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think they need an independent body, I think they need a unified body made up of the football bodies in each nation.

That's what I was implying - representatives from around the world.
It would have to be independent of the AFL otherwise it would serve no real purpose.

Oh yeah, and the fullback is not currently penalised for kicking it out of bounds since they brought in the ability for the full back to run out of the square without kicking to themself - at least the league I am involved in anyway.

That's called "play on". Is the fullback still penalised if he kicks to from within the "square" ?
Will the umpire call "deliberate"?

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yup. That's collateral damage from the rule change, same as the umpire calling play on and the fb moves the ball over the goal line, it was a ball up on the kickoff line but is now just a rushed behind.

The AFL has made changes and we as Australians understand them as we have followed the history of the changes
but why not frame the laws with logic and consistency to make it easier for newcomers.

Why not frame the kick-in as a free-kick 15m out after a point - that's virtually what we have now and that's what it was originally.
I suggest 15m for consistency with laws on running and marking. WTF was 18m chosen?

Why have all the controversy of deliberate-out-of-bounds or not when you have a simple kick-out/kick-in rule?

Both these law changes will NOT effect the way the game is played but will make the game simpler and stronger.
As I said, Australians won't see the need, that's natural, but i make a habit of discussing the game with players
of other nationalities and they agree that some aspects could be mproved or at least clarified.
That's the people I'm concerned about and football as it is played in the local park.

Last Sunday I saw a women's league match that was almost destroyed by the paying of 50m penalties from minor discrepancies.
These were peripheral indiscretions that only the AFL should be concerned about and why why why hasn't someone modified the
penalty to represent the length of a women's kick, not 50m.
Then there is the absolute stupidity of sprinting 50m to draw a following subsequent 50m. penalty.
We really need people who understand Australian Football not necessarily what's best for AFL.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
The articles below discusses an AFL project being driven by US Media Giant no less then Amazon.
We have heard that the group has also approached the AFL about streaming the actual games sometime in the future.
However this story is on a different topic - The AFL Clubs themselves which would expose those same clubs to the world as per the Streaming Service.
Early days yet but it should go ok and would assist in revealing our game to a bigger audience.
Apparently Foxtel getting nervous about all of this - Talking of being sidelined.

All comments welcomed.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
These comments are for the Overseas readers and are a follow up to the first article above.

Amazon entered Australia directly with their online shopping a couple of years ago and now do Advertising every night on Free To Air TV.
Currently they are pushing Sports Series Docos as above and are promoting the Australian Cricket Team with the dramas of cheating in South Africa a while back.
They are for their local Amazon Streaming service recently set up in opposition to Netflix which is the major player in that space along with local Foxtel and others.
What does this mean for Footy Internationally - Well hard to say but will the AFL SUGGEST to Amazon that when they finish the footy series above would they stream them overseas on their various services to expose the game to a bigger audience.
The Docos would already have been paid for locally so no extra cost to Amazon.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Extracted from the 2019 AFL Annual Report.
More than 177,000 participants are involved in AFL competitions and programs overseas, including over 79,000 females (45 per cent of the overall total).
This report needs more breakdown into categories and we suspect it includes kids in try outs, handball comps etc.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Extracted from the 2019 AFL Annual Report.
More than 177,000 participants are involved in AFL competitions and programs overseas, including over 79,000 females (45 per cent of the overall total).
This report needs more breakdown

Yes.

we suspect it includes kids in try outs, handball comps etc.

No.

TWLS

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2015
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
What will the AFL do about International Footy funding in the current situation.
Is it the end of that funding for the time being and will International Footy slowly shrink.
How many Leagues will survive, Seeing that minimal AFL funds flow to them anyhow.
Assuming things return to "normal" next year and funds start flowing into the AFL coffers perhaps this year will be seen as a one of.
The AFL CEO seems determined to have a 2020 late year season with the 600 million from the Banks against Marvel Stadium.

Back