Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at it properly? Our club has been a basket case for 5 years, and still is putting in performances like that. We will finish last again but this time we don't have the number one draft pick to build hope on. Players will start looking elsewhere pretty quick if this continues excuses or not.

There is the issue. The rebuild is just over 3 years in. Has always said it is a long term rebuild. Nothing has changed

My only fear is that Pick 1 may well have been traded....to Adelaide. If we weren't in a hurry, the club wouldn't have said we 'were' in a hurry, and probably wouldn't have traded with Adelaide. There expectations were us rising up the ladder, but any supporter who expected to see us rise is labelled as unrealistic here? I, like the media, also have no clue :)
We traded our 1st this year because of 2 reasons imo
1. We rated stocker a top 10 in the draft.
2. We know that we need games into our kids.

So giving him a year in advance to whatever player we picked up, plus also getting another 1st round pick seems logical.

Ed can win a lot of ball. IMO we need his run and experience to help Cripps.
He can certainly win the ball, my issue is purely his disposal by hand and by foot. If we can do stoppage setups, he can drill handpassing to position where a receiver should be; that'd work for him, but he's not an instinctive player who knows when/where to be. Needs to be lead to the ball to be dangerous, and doesn't turn the game with his disposal.

What he's been doing over the last three weeks has given me a bit of heart for him as a flanker/pocket, though. He's got reasonable goalsense, he just needs to learn a little more about where to be, and for the gameplan to get him into more footraces against opposition he can outpace.

So let me get this straight when we win it’s all the players doing but when we lose it’s the system, interesting concept.
When we win? Now that’s an interesting concept.

When we have looked like a decent team it’s been on the back of players ability/form not a strong system. For example Harry taking a ridiculous amount of contested marks. If the players are down the system or lack thereof is exposed more than it should be thats why we can go from looking like world beaters to VFL level very quickly within a game. A coach should be able to get a team to be competitive even when individuals are not at their best. If this happened occasionally instead of pretty much every game then may be I’d think otherwise.

Of course our youth compounds the problem but it’s not the main issue imo.

What has been his role and how has it been rated internally?
You're seriously mistaken. Roles means nothing workout effort or intent. Kid is seriously lacking in both at the moment. Needs to be alot harder at the ball and opposition regardless of his role.

He can certainly win the ball, my issue is purely his disposal by hand and by foot. If we can do stoppage setups, he can drill handpassing to position where a receiver should be; that'd work for him, but he's not an instinctive player who knows when/where to be. Needs to be lead to the ball to be dangerous, and doesn't turn the game with his disposal.

What he's been doing over the last three weeks has given me a bit of heart for him as a flanker/pocket, though. He's got reasonable goalsense, he just needs to learn a little more about where to be, and for the gameplan to get him into more footraces against opposition he can outpace.

Good points but I just think at the moment we need to look past any weaknesses and get him helping the younger players. At the moment his experience, hard work is needed in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're seriously mistaken. Roles means nothing workout effort or intent. Kid is seriously lacking in both at the moment. Needs to be alot harder at the ball and opposition regardless of his role.

So if he's doing what the coaches want that doesn't matter? Don't agree about effort or intent

Yes but until you drop L'OB we are sending him the message that his output is acceptable

There's not many in the 2's who are putting their hand up for the position of outside mid.

We've just got to get games into him. He had some nice moments today. Just have to persist.

We lost the ball in the contest today. That would have made his job very difficult.

Didn't see this game and fair chance I won't be watching the replay. Just goes to show what a significant group of outs Simpson, Newman, McGovern and Kreuzer were.

The amount of players you need to rebuild a list and the short timeframe you have to do it just don't match up. We're going to need another big haul of players to take steps forward considering we also have a group of older yet still really important players to replace in our lineup.

We played a lot of underdone players, hopefully they can find some form.

As others have said my worry with LOB is that he just plays so scared/timid and seems to be a slow thinker. Hopefully he’ll come good with time but these attributes can sometimes be hard to change.

Back