Opinion Dead rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivalry is still extremely strong.

I just think both fan bases are currently a bit disillusioned with each of their clubs hierarchy/management.
This is how I feel. If both teams were genuine powerhouses there'd be something to get excited over. At this stage nobody has any idea if either team will scrape into the top 8 end of season.

Rivalry is still extremely strong.

I just think both fan bases are currently a bit disillusioned with each of their clubs hierarchy/management.
Agree its still strong - its just not the all consuming, all frothing at the mouth type of rivalry, it once was.

True rivalry of the sort we are talking comes from the supporters base up, not from the management down. Where do you think the atmosphere of Showdown I came from? That wasn't invented in the Port Adelaide boardroom. The whole club, from boot strapper to CEO fed off the true supporter's demand to beat the pretend club who took our rightful spot in the AFL. The players could not help but be caught up in this.

I don't think the rivalry has diminished at all. I still demand everything from the players and the coaches this week. There has to be a "now or never" mentality. We have to win or suffer the indignity of 100 uneducated football related comments from their ignorant part-time supporters. We have to win.

Those who think the rivalry has diminished are reflecting their own loss of passion. Those that gripe endlessly about Ken, selection, what the board's doing etc do lose focus. Not me. This is what we were built for. More than any other week on the calendar this is the old "Us versus them".

Where I sit, the rivalry is as strong as ever.

Fire up, Port!

The Derby has absolutely nothing on the Showdown, are you western Australian by any chance?

no SA but live in the west

but I'll be honest, I find the whole SA media port vs crows embarrassing

I think this is a bit too far with the doom and gloom. Showdown is still our biggest home & away game all year. Easy to get caught in an echo chamber on here but there's still a general excitement around and the games are still electrifying to attend.
Is there? I get we are more pessimistic then the Facebook mum's, but the atmosphere hasn't been there lately like there was. Lazy scheduling by the AFL for pre-season JLT match-ups almost every year (and both clubs for a youngster 'mini-Showdown') doesn't help.

Most of our fans have long since stopped buying into 'Showdowns are 50-50'. For Adelaide if we are up, they are still a chance, but it's been a long time since Port fans could hold out hope that the Showdown will not be a reflection of either sides form (if we're the one with worse).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree its still strong - its just not the all consuming, all frothing at the mouth type of rivalry, it once was.

Because for most of the decade the rivalry’s been less about the footy and more about tarps, 119 and painting all Port fans as racist, booing, violent, subhuman scum.

It’s repetitive and boring.

there's no better time for the club to get physical. i'm sick of how marshmellow meek we are. yes you can bring up cases of X being hard and Y laying a player out but our overall mentality and attitude could barely be worse. i don't know what it'll take but i hope it happens. think the leaders have to lead by example. i really want to see fire burning in wines' eyes.

I think it's still extremely strong but just think there is a huge malaise around the club and the supporters at the moment. I know I'll start getting butterflies by Saturday but I'm just not feeling it right now. A big win against them would lift spirits no end, but nobody has trust in Port anymore and this feeds into the antipathy of the game.

Koch has certainly made it far more civil and tree hugging. And as above, Port supporters are somewhat deflated. But all we need is a "incident" on the field to re ignite. Be good to see something Saturday night.....

I can't wait for the next instalment of The Media vs. Port Adelaide. What will it be this time? Harassing an entrepreneur? Racially abusing Umpires? Port fans not "getting behind Eddie Betts achievements"?

inb4 port power fan vilifies Gibbs about gambling problems, he's just a guy trying to get over his demons! Everyone should be behind him in solidarity!

They should only play eachother once and never in preseason.

Showdown is a massive money maker for each club, SMA & adelaide media. They would have one every 2nd week if they could. Never going to drop down to 1 game.

Showdown is a massive money maker for each club, SMA & adelaide media. They would have one every 2nd week if they could. Never going to drop down to 1 game.

I know, but the frequency of the meeting certainly takes some anticipation out of it.

Because for most of the decade the rivalry’s been less about the footy and more about tarps, 119 and painting all Port fans as racist, booing, violent, subhuman scum.

It’s repetitive and boring.
All honesty besides 119, the rest has been thought of us by those pretty much all my life...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back