Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Gresh yet to convince me he is a midfielder. It is worth persists with him in there but it feels like he gets donated midfield time still. Would like to see him forward a little bit more though, for his goal kicking ability.
Agree. His one of our best players. Let's give up trying to turn him into something he isn't.

Okay, so say a miracle occurred, and suddenly Hanners, Stuv, Geary, Carlisle, King, Lonie were all available this week. Would you still be writing the season off? Who would you drop to fit them in? I tell you what, some players tonight would be stiff.

So much of our problem was composure: when we got a sniff, we'd kick into poor decisions. that's what kids do. They'll learn.

All good.
I couldn’t agree with you more Pers.
David Parkin made an interesting observation this afternoon.
He claimed Carlton’s loss to Collingwood was attributable to being a young team: their players physical immaturity, and their players emotional immaturity.
You can’t have success with one and not the other.
And that’s exactly where we are at the moment and with the players we are putting on the park.
Composure.
Absolutely.
And that will come.

With the forced development of youngsters what’s our best 22 look like with everyone available? I am going to have a go at naming one out of boredom.

B: Geary Battle Webster
HB: Savage Carlisle Robbo
C: Sinclair Hanners Billings
HF: Gresh Membrey Lonie
F: Parker Bruce Kent
FOL:Marshall Steven Steele
Int: Paton Wilkie Acres Ross
Emg: Longer Newnes Dunstan

Well, when looking at this season, we have to account for the absence of Carlisle, McCartin, Roberton, Austin, Geary and Lonie, Bytel, Steven and Hannebery as LTIs...

Yep, 7 of 9 of whom would arguably be Best 22 if fit.

Even if we were to drop Long (and Kent) on form...

FB: Roberton - Brown - Geary
HB: Webster - Carlisle - Savage
RK: Marshall - Ross - Steven
CR: Billings - Steele - Hannbery
HF: Parker - McCartin - Gresham
FF: Lonie - Bruce - Membrey

IC (from): Newnes McKenzie Wilkie Sinclair Dunstan Paton

Is a very VERY different side...

Add (the promise of) Max King instead of Paddy if you want, too.

Last edited:
Making our good players look real ordinary last year?
I can see you’re going to be nice and open-minded... consider me out.

Toodles.

I swear we play our best footy away from that dump. I’ve said for a while now we have lost the aura of invincibility we used to have at Docklands stadium. If only - if only we played more games at the G and less at that shithole.

Sorry if I offend you for calling it a shithole.

All for it.

As long as the decisions are competence based and not virtue signalling.

None of the umps seemed to have a good game tonight, it’s hard to track the individual performances but Eleni probably stands out more / her mistakes are more memorable because she is the only female.

Just want decent umps that umpire with consistency regardless of gender. It kills you as a fan when the game is close and blatant incompetence costs dearly.

That cost us in the first half, but overall we were not good enough, even if the umps had the best game of the year we still would have lost.
I couldn't give a flying toss that she's female but what is worth noting is that we got bent over
By a dubious Greek! :moustache:
And we all know that not only does it hurt but it's emotionally draining! Bloody Greeks...Screw them and their crappy gifts i say! :devil:

Last edited:
Also disappointing that only Bruce , Battle, Billings , Acres and Webster are the only Saints players who took contested marks according to the afl stats . But im sure Membrey took one too .
Membrey was slightly on the lead overhead so technically it’s nit a contested mark. It’s pretty stupid tbh but it’s just a pointless stat. It was great to see Bruce throwing himself into packs again though.

Thoughts on the game were:
- Every time we lost a centre clearance WC player would be in acres of space. We get killed on centre clearances every week and it's not just the numbers, it's the way we allow the opposition to clear the ball. What really lost us the game was the ease of their centre clearances and the ease in which they moved the ball from defence to attack, especially from kick outs.
- The umpiring was absolutely disgraceful. Every 50-50 went their way, eg the mark to Bruce that they didn't pay, free kick for holding against Brown. It started in the first quarter when Billings was clearly held onto and didn't get a free kick. Don't remember getting a single high tackle or holding the man free kick. I was flabbergasted by the umpiring in that game.
- Our forwards are still not working. We aren't scoring enough, we rush shots at goal, we miss easy shots. Our entries were better tonight but it's still just not quite working. Long should not have played. How you have a guy like Hind getting 30+ in the VFL and still play Long is silly. Love Longy but he is in the worst form slump of his career.
- Battle was superb. What a gun. Liked Phillips' game although he's untidy at times. Dunstan did well. Throwing up the ball hurt Marshall. So unlucky for him, gave Vardy a big advantage because of his height. Still thought Marshall was great though.
- We are thereabouts but we need to score. Plain and simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fecking Elinie that number 34 green maggot. She can go rot. NFI should be delisted/sent to the VFLW etc.

As for that putrid game, shytes me we let them score 4 goals in 11 minutes in the back half of the third. That was insipid and lazy footy by us.

It felt like an 8 goal loss. We are going nowhere fast, and don’t blame the injuries, they won’t help our dysfunctional forward line much.

At least we got some centre clearances and Juice finally did well along with Dunny & The Royal Prince Archie Phillips.

Longy can go play VFL for a long time also.

The reason his disposal aren’t great is we can’t get any clean possessions through the midfield, if you look at him in space, his disposal is one of our best, can often weight his pass to a player’s advantage.. can’t say that about most of our mids.
The reason is he just slaps it on his boot... it's like a kid footballer with no discipline hoping his mate will do the job. Make it someone else's problem kind of stuff

With the forced development of youngsters what’s our best 22 look like with everyone available? I am going to have a go at naming one out of boredom.

B: Geary Battle Webster
HB: Savage Carlisle Robbo
C: Sinclair Hanners Billings
HF: Gresh Membrey Lonie
F: Parker Bruce Kent
FOL:Marshall Steven Steele
Int: Paton Wilkie Acres Ross
Emg: Longer Newnes Dunstan

i do have to ask , how does Acres deserve a spot , hes played one good game for the year , is that enough ? Or is this just your favourite players ? Also Hanners hasnt yet played for us so how does he get in the side ? We dont yet know if he will be any good.
Brown stiff to miss out . i would have either Wilkie or Paton ahead of Savage but thats just my opinion . Tough on Newnes but some players have to miss of course.

I couldn't give a flying toss that she's female but what is worth noting is that we got bent over
By a dubious Greek! :moustache:
And we all know that not only does it hurt but it's emotionally draining! Bloody Greeks...Screw them and their crappy gifts i say! :devil:

Yeah, in one night she's taken away all the good the Greek have done. Lost you credits gained for philosophy, democracy and spanakopita in one performance.

So umpiring was as bad on tv as it seemed at the game ?

i do have to ask , how does Acres deserve a spot , hes played one good game for the year , is that enough ? Or is this just your favourite players ? Also Hanners hasnt yet played for us so how does he get in the side ? We dont yet know if he will be any good.
Brown stiff to miss out . i would have either Wilkie or Paton ahead of Savage but thats just my opinion . Tough on Newnes but some players have to miss of course.

I thought Blake was good tonight, was on GOV early and was getting around people and delivering clean kicks inside 50. Lost momentum late though.

Super tough on Savage, I thought he was easily in our top few players. Wilkie has dropped off in the last 2 weeks, Paton was good again though.

Would definitely drop Long before Parker, he was anonymous tonight

I don't think that the FBI could've found Long tonight.....very very disappointing.

I checked the team stats on the AFL site on my phone early in the last 1/4...Dunny was on top followed by Battle.

Long was stone cold last.

Agian....very dissappointing.....the teams we have played over the last 3 weeks look a clear cut above us in general play.

Our disposal and decision making at times tonight was absolutely hair pulling stuff.

Kamakaze handballs were seemingly never ending.

3 highlights for me tonight were:

-Billings last goal

-Savages snap on the boundry.

-Barooses contested marking....he took 3 very strong marks in front of us.......very impressive ones at that....but he was way too far out to score.....as a previous poster highlighted.

Stuv, Hannas, Carlisle, Robbo, Lonie

Any 1 of those and we'd have won that game.

Especially Stuv, we still struggle without the magic mullet man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back