Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Did our skills look just as bad on tv as they seemed at the game

Yup, we are very messy. They weren't a lot better by the way, they are just better at winning it in tight and theirs look more composed.

Some things should be seen but not heard.

She was an absolute shocker.....seemed to be making calls too far from the play and I wondered if she second guessed some of her calls.

Stood up and gave her a fearful spray just before half time.

Throwing up the ball hurt Marshall. So unlucky for him, gave Vardy a big advantage because of his height. Still thought Marshall was great though.
- We are thereabouts but we need to score. Plain and simple.
At what point as club do we standup and give someone a blast at the AFL. That fundamentally changed the game. It's a disgrace. I actually asked on my mates whatsapp group for those not at the game what was going on. Roma would have halved so many more centre bounces. I miss our own home ground. Tonight felt like we are just part of the AFL machine with that.

Last edited:
I thought we were good in patches but some dumb decisions cost us in the end.

Battle was great again. Surely time for his rising star nomination but I'm sure some midfielder from a winning team played without an opponent and got 20 disposals.

Brown had a statement game. Showed exactly why dropping him last week was a horrible decision. Something extremely underrated about him is the way he spoils - he doesnt just whack it anywhere but he knowingly places it either to a team mate or to a contest giving us a chance to win it.

Billings had another good game. I found it interesting we started him in the forward line for the last quarter, but having someone who can make good decisions up forward made a difference. I know he wants to play wing, and is good at it, but having him in our forward line would be a god send right now as not many can play half forward as well as him.

Paton made some horrible decisions today but I cant question his endeavour and work rate. Interesting we played him forward in the last as well. I would keep him there next week.

Did Long play? Horrible again. Luckily for Parker he had a good two weeks leading up to this game. Having zero threatening smalls hurt us tonight. Both were passengers. People are harsh on Kent but his work rate and the opportunities he creates up forwards goes unnoticed.

Fantastic return game from Dunstan. He may just be a humble, hard working midfielder but we need a player like him right now. I dont care that he only played 70% game time because he makes his time on the field count.

Overall, so many things to improve on. We are our own worst enemy in terms of ball use at times or squandering shots on goal. Too many times this season we have had opportunities to take the lead or get within a goal, and our players cant handle the moment and shank the kick. If we can overcome this (and it's a completely mental issue not a technical one), then we will be able to challenge the top teams more seriously.

Not only did Eleni pluck out soft or wrong frees for West Coast in their forward line, she ignored Gresham and Billings being held off the ball.

She has no business umpiring AFL, deadset hopeless.

That being said we still could have won that game, good teams overcome bad umpiring and we aren't a good team.

We really miss Jack Steven, we could have done with his burst and speed out of the centre tonight.

Not to mention we miss Carlisle, Roberton, Geary, Hannebery and Paddy McCartin, we've walked under a ladder and kicked a black cat on the way through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fought it OK, but their goal kicking let us off the hook first half of the last quarter.

Thought Battle and Billings were good. Dunstan got plenty but his disposal lets him down.

Long should be dropped.

Umpiring in first half terrible.

Give it a rest, we'd have been fooked of not for luke

Not only did Eleni pluck out soft or wrong frees for West Coast in their forward line, she ignored Gresham and Billings being held off the ball.

That being said we still could have won that game, good teams overcome bad umpiring and we aren't a good team.

We really miss Jack Steven, we could have done with his burst and speed out of the centre tonight.

Not to mention we miss Carlisle, Roberton, Geary, Hannebery and Paddy McCartin, we've walked under a ladder and kicked a black cat on the way through.

Not been sexiest but Eleni should never be allowed to umpire again.

Bit AFL will come clean tomorrow morning saying all the decisions were correct.

He was struggling this week.. got beaten by Vardy who is a pretty ordinary ruckman himself.. we’re overrating Marshall way too much.. he had a couple of good games, he is can get some clearance, but he won’t be a dominant ruckman like Dawn, Martin or Grundy.. These are all seasoned rucks, Marshall used to play as a forward who can pinch hit in the ruck.. we need to find a more permanent solution, seeing Acres/Bruce rucking is ridiculous.
This is a big overreaction to a reasonable game from Marshall. He is tracking very well as a number one ruck. Stef Martin wasn't a number one ruck til 27. Gawn didn't put it together til he was 24. I see no reason why Marshall can't be a good ruckman for a long time.

The Bruce/Acres rucking situation has nothing to do with Marshall's performance.

I was mostly disappointed with Webster and Newnes as 2 of the more experienced players they gave us very little.
Battle was great as was most of the backline. Brown and Savage also good.
Hind had to play next week I don’t care what position just play him.
I liked Dunstans game.

I was mostly disappointed with Webster and Newnes as 2 of the more experienced players they gave us very little.
Battle was great as was most of the backline. Brown and Savage also good.
Hind had to play next week I don’t care what position just play him.
I liked Dunstans game.
I was worried about what bringing Phillips in would do to Billings but it was Newnes who seemed to suffer. Got put in the forwardline a lot which I'm disappointed to see. Is a wing or half back and has started the season very well. Phillips was good tonight but Newnes has earned a spot on the wing for mine.

Very harsh call , Gresham had 20 disposals , Ross had 31 , Steele 22 , Sincs had 17 but i thought they all did good things throughout the night . yes their mids were better but ours werent disgraced at all . Steele has been one of our better players this year , as has Ross and Gresh . None of them will be dropped and they dont deserved to be .

The reason why some are labelling Gresh show pony is that he always tries to do the difficult whereas often he would be better just doing the effective.

Too often he tries to kick the ball around the corner, and especially long kicks.

Also all the umpires ignored Darling holding Battle out time and time again stopping him from contesting marks .

Don’t Panic !!

I reckon we should try something different and bomb it long to the top of the square.
Jesus. At one point in the 1st quarter I was missing the long bomb to the top of the square.
My turn to vent.
We lowered our eyes for a change in the first quarter....and the results were obscene. People will be sick of me saying this, but Seb should be forbidden from being involved in forward 50 entries. Just give him something else to do, crochet I don't care. Riewoldt was deflecting our inside 50 issues during the week, putting it on stuff happening further up the ground. Love you Roo, but that's hogwash. It's not just Seb though, but when he's about the best we've got on the field at the moment and he has the composure of a chook in a thunderstorm approaching 50. We're in trouble.

Am pretty filthy atm having just watched the game. Never want to see that female umpire again. And it has nothing to do with her being female, it's just that she was the s#!ttest, and I don't know her name. And I don't want to know her name. And I was most pissed that she was screwing us in their forward line in the 1st, and then screwing us in their forward line in the 2nd. At least with a BS wind favouring one end you can look forward to some respite next quarter.

Anyway, my 5yo daughter told me the blue team were going to win, and I told her she was probably right. Against the Saints at the docklands over time they either turn up or they don't. That's why I'm pissed with the umpiring. They didn't really turn up, but the umps gifted them goals and opportunities and eventually their superiority came through. I mean, they are the premiers there's no point kidding ourselves.

Anyway again, probably the best thing for the saints this year is to finish where we deserve based on the players out there. We'll be a few rungs below where we'd be with all hands on deck, will get a slightly better draft hand and all. But it's looking like where we deserve to be is gonna be bottom 6 again unless Gears, Lonie, Hanners and King all come in and make a difference. Unlikely. Still, can't wait for tomorrow. Hope big Max gets through OK.

Probably nobody still reading by now, but go saints. Vent over.

Not been sexiest but Eleni should never be allowed to umpire again.

Bit AFL will come clean tomorrow morning saying all the decisions were correct.

I've held back with my comments about Eleni due to the new BF rules where you can't even say s**t.

Could you imagine if she umpired like that at Moorabbin, she wouldn;t have got out of their alive.

Battle and Paton look project very nicely. I wouldn't be surprised if Paton ends up in the midfield rotation at some point. His awareness and disposal is seriously top notch for an 8 game player. And Battle could be a long term CHB

Spook was really good in the first half. If he only had a tank..

Billings and Sav were good. Both with miraculous goals also

thought Mckenzie was good. Brown was very impressive.

I would have really loved the 4 points, but there was a lot to like about that game I think

Anyway Max King is playing tomorrow, hard to be too down

Last edited:
Dunstan was very good tonight.

His ability to get handballs and kicks through traffic would look better if we could read them better than the opposition.

He needs to stay in the team so we can learn to read them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back