Autopsy Round 8, 2019: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

At what point as club do we standup and give someone a blast at the AFL. That fundamentally changed the game. It's a disgrace. I actually asked on my mates whatsapp group for those not at the game what was going on. Roma would have halved so many more centre bounces. I miss our own home ground. Tonight felt like we are just part of the AFL machine with that.
I’ve never even thought of this. Huge impact on clearances.

I haven't seen the match yet, but plenty here throwing shade at the umpiring, specifically the female umpire.

I take it all the male ones got their calls correct?

Not at all, mate; the male umpires were also shocking. My specific bone of contention with the female umpire was her continual blowing up and awarding free kicks for holding off the ball, when it was no such thing; and mostly it was against Saints players. As I said earlier, my criticism is in no way about her gender, and I would say exactly the same of any male umpire. I don't even know who she is, but she seemed to have an obsession with holding off the ball.

Dunstan may have petered off but he worked his arse off - he even smothered a kick at the last center bounce.
Also a certain Jack Steven disposal inside 50 with that gloriously flowing moulet would help our inside 50’s.
As a hypothetical; what happens if King kicks 6? Or 12? Do we keep him in the 2’s? Bring him in V Carlton?
What happens if he kicks none?
Think we need to temper our expectations on the kid - and he is a kid.
I think he plays 3 games at least even if he kills it. He could Membreys spot whos not kicking goals at all this season.
Bruce and Kent doing well.

I thought we played well last night against a good team and some poor umpiring.
Our mid to fwd connection is still bad and hurt us plenty last night.
I feel like Membrey isn't doing enough to hold a spot and neither is Long. We need to try something different up fwd. Not enough space being created for our fwds but we lowered our eyes better last night.
Billings, Bruce, Ross, Brown all played like hero's.
We're going to struggle to win against good sides with our outs. We have a good defensive game plan. They just don't execute all the time. I dont think were too far off though.

We simply don’t have the cattle. I think our structures look ok. We can compete for periods against good sides, just don’t have the players to kick a score.

I think some more hard calls years end need to happen if we’re to improve again.

Possibly right, but first I would like to see how we travel with a fit Steven, Hannebery & King in the side. Then hopefully Clark & Coffield come good, add Bytel for next season & Clavarino, find maybe one more FA & we’re not far away.

Clark and Coffield were drafted to address this... unfortunately not having an immediate impact

Yeah, but they're 19 year olds (I think) so they get a pass for this year at least...it's the guys who are 22-28 & been in the senior team for a number if years. It depresses me. All heart, but no coordination. It's like watching a team of thumbs play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly right, but first I would like to see how we travel with a fit Steven, Hannebery & King in the side. Then hopefully Clark & Coffield come good, add Bytel for next season & Clavarino, find maybe one more FA & we’re not far away.
That could be a long time away though.. Maybe never the way it’s tracking with some of the above mentioned. I’d love to see them all in and absolutely would make a difference. But can only comment on what we have at the moment.
We have not one elite mid. I’m struggling to find an A grader. Steven was/is. Billings more not full mid and Gresh is really a forward so far.

He is struggling but the disposal to him is terrible a lot of the time . In fairness to Membrey he should be on a flank not a key position where hes up against key backmen . Hes not strong enough or tall enough for that role . Hes at his best when he can run his opponents into the ground like Roo used to do.
Well we are in strife up forward big time then.
He has only kicked 14 goals all season and leads our Goalkicking by 4 goals

I’ve never even thought of this. Huge impact on clearances.
Why would throwing the ball up have a huge impacts on clearances since Vardy is 200cm and Marshall is 201cm.

What has a huge impact on clearances is that Marshall, despite being very good around the ground, is not a tap ruckman which is why there was a huge impact on clearances.

Having said that if Vardy is continually tapping the ball back over his shoulder to Shuey/Sheed at the centre throw ups why the hell wouldn't you play man on man in the centre square.

A few comments

Not much to come in so a few will be saved - but Long needs to dropped.

Not sure if Newnes and Phillips can play in the same team - too similar.

Ross - the least damaging 30+ possession player in the league.

Battle is a very good player, Wilkie is a very good player, Brown is a very good defender.

When Carlisle comes back does that mean Battle goes forward?

Sinclair playing on quickly and doing a loopy hand pass to a west coast player infuriated me so much, because he plays on quickly it slingshots to a goal at the other end, he does these brain dead hand passes all the time, and symbolises the exact nature of St Kilda problem.. no poise or finesse.. newnes also was terrible and needs to be dropped...

Both sincs and newnes have played enough games, they will always be vfl standard players, they haven’t ever improved..

Good too see battle develop, and our defence has been really good, but we don’t have a good forward line, will struggle to kick 100 points, and our midfield lacks a bit of class...

I’d like to see acres as a pure midfield player like Cripps,and if Hannebery and Steven can get back in, we might with seb Ross, have a really good midfield group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sinclair was very good in the first half last night, we must be watching different games.

Had plenty of the ball, hit a target which resulted in a goal, fed three by hand for direct shots on goal, long missed from point blank for his only touch for the half, Gresham missed a goal with little angle maybe 30 out he should have kicked and Bruce kicked across the face from the forward pocked and failed to score. Then Sinclair marked and kicked the goal as good players should.

Newnes was down last night but has been amongst the best most weeks, we have a lot who need to go before these two imo.

We desperately need a Roberton type replacement as he will never play again sadly.

Robbo is a massive loss - a tall fast running defender.

That’s why we need The Clav to hit his straps quickly at Sandy and start dominating at AFL level.

I’m a lot more excited about The Clav for this season than King. The King is for next year.

Why would throwing the ball up have a huge impacts on clearances since Vardy is 200cm and Marshall is 201cm.

What has a huge impact on clearances is that Marshall, despite being very good around the ground, is not a tap ruckman which is why there was a huge impact on clearances.

Having said that if Vardy is continually tapping the ball back over his shoulder to Shuey/Sheed at the centre throw ups why the hell wouldn't you play man on man in the centre square.

A few comments

Not much to come in so a few will be saved - but Long needs to dropped.

Not sure if Newnes and Phillips can play in the same team - too similar.

Ross - the least damaging 30+ possession player in the league.

Battle is a very good player, Wilkie is a very good player, Brown is a very good defender.

When Carlisle comes back does that mean Battle goes forward?
I think you'll find Brown week start getting phased out, with Carlisle at FB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back