Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Chairman Ben stepped up, Coach Scott has fallen, and the Board has bought themselves time to rectify the current course and steer us toward our 5th premiership.

If they cannot deliver, they must also fall.

A cultural realignment of this club is essential and a crucial 6 months lies ahead.

• Banned
Following Brad Scott's exit as Roos coach, Shaw will be in charge of 12 matches, matches which will become almost a disruption to the club as it now sets out to review every single position in the club.

As always when a coach departs, there are more questions than answers with the Roos. Not with how Scott's departure actually played out, but why the Roos' board opted to re-contract him just 32 matches ago, only to mutually arrive at a decision last Friday that the next season and a half were not persevering with.

The key part of the review should actually be of the board itself, and how it allowed some of the game's biggest name footballers – Dusty Martin, Josh Kelly, Jordan De Goey included – to be offered some of the biggest financial deals in the history of the game, without success.

Scott is not guaranteed a senior job next year, but he is now in pole position to negotiate on the jobs that are likely to become vacant – Carlton and St Kilda. And the other one which is looming as a strong possibility – Essendon.

North Melbourne is not guaranteed to get their main man into its senior job next season, but it, too, is in pole position to offer massive contracts to the best candidates – Alastair Clarkson, John Longmire and Adam Simpson the main targets.

Should those approaches fail, Sam Mitchell should come sharply into focus.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-26/barrett-the-40year-drought-dogs-dont-want-to-break

Following Brad Scott's exit as Roos coach, Shaw will be in charge of 12 matches, matches which will become almost a disruption to the club as it now sets out to review every single position in the club.

As always when a coach departs, there are more questions than answers with the Roos. Not with how Scott's departure actually played out, but why the Roos' board opted to re-contract him just 32 matches ago, only to mutually arrive at a decision last Friday that the next season and a half were not persevering with.

The key part of the review should actually be of the board itself, and how it allowed some of the game's biggest name footballers – Dusty Martin, Josh Kelly, Jordan De Goey included – to be offered some of the biggest financial deals in the history of the game, without success.

Scott is not guaranteed a senior job next year, but he is now in pole position to negotiate on the jobs that are likely to become vacant – Carlton and St Kilda. And the other one which is looming as a strong possibility – Essendon.

North Melbourne is not guaranteed to get their main man into its senior job next season, but it, too, is in pole position to offer massive contracts to the best candidates – Alastair Clarkson, John Longmire and Adam Simpson the main targets.

Should those approaches fail, Sam Mitchell should come sharply into focus.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-26/barrett-the-40year-drought-dogs-dont-want-to-break
Whilst I don't support it, i feel like Scott may have only been re-signed to present a unified position to sign Kelly and Gaff. When those failed, so too the extension. Thoughts?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

• Banned
Whilst I don't support it, i feel like Scott may have only been re-signed to present a unified position to sign Kelly and Gaff. When those failed, so too the extension. Thoughts?

My take was that Brad's fall wasn't even discussed until the train wreck of the first month of this season was analysed.

The whole Kelly/Gaff = North failure thing is a media generated phenomenon. I don't in any way criticise the board for that.

Last edited:
My take was that Brad's fall wasn't even discussed until the train wreck of the first month of this season was analysed.

The whole Kelly/Gaff = North failure thing, is a media generated phenomenon. I don't in any way criticise the board for that.
Yeah I don't think it is fair on the board. We went after the biggest fish in the land. Didn't get them. 16 other clubs didn't either. I just was thinking that his signature might have been to tighten up the footy dept to have a better sales pitch. I might be well off the mark here

• Banned
Yeah I don't think it is fair on the board. We went after the biggest fish in the land. Didn't get them. 16 other clubs didn't either. I just was thinking that his signature might have been to tighten up the footy dept to have a better sales pitch. I might be well off the mark here

Far too much emphasis is placed on this particular scenario. It's soap opera level stuff. Just dismiss it.

Who knows what clauses existed in that final contract? These days very few coaches go into their final year of contract. They are either extended before commencing the final year, or walk. We probably chose to avoid the media circus at the time that would have marred all of Scott’s final year of his contract.

Or it could have been as simple as JB rating Scott highly and being a mate as well. But Buckley, having settled into the role chose to act, which regardless of our opinion of JB, is great to see. Finally a chairman with some ruthlessness and some balls.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still not convinced that is not the case , but it was in response to Kelly and Martin, not Gaff.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm still not convinced that is not the case , but it was in response to Kelly and Martin, not Gaff.

If our club decide to focus on who the media focus/embellish about, then we may as well throw the entire board out now, because our club is effectively being run by the media.

If our club is being run on who the media decide to focus/embellish about then we may as well throw the entire board out now, because our club is effectively being run by the media.
Lots of people dispute my position and am waiting to be convinced otherwise.

But correct my memory if I am wrong.
BS got his contract extension on the back of getting Kelly and possibly Dusty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too much emphasis is placed on this particular scenario. It's soap opera level stuff. Just dismiss it.
It can't be dismissed if FH's hunch is right. Nothing wrong with chasing talent, but if we extended a coach's contract solely or largely on the basis of looking stable to the talent, that was a mistake. We need to examine what led us to do that.

Lots of people dispute my position and am waiting to be convinced otherwise.

But correct my memory if I am wrong.
BS got his contract extension on the back of getting Kelly and possibly Dusty.

It would be a bizarre and reckless scenario if that actually occurred.

It can't be dismissed if FH's hunch is right. Nothing wrong with chasing talent, but if we extended a coach's contract solely or largely on the basis of looking stable to the talent, that was a mistake. We need to examine what led us to do that.
The domino fell on the Eve of the finals, a period where both Martin and Kelly re-signed. Plausible. Hopefully comes out in the wash

It would be a bizarre and reckless scenario if that actually occurred.
At the time it seemed to make sense.
Poaching Kelly as we almost did and had him for most of 2017as a verbal commitment. Part of that proposition was the playing group and stability with the coaching staff.
I'd imagine that is one of many important factors.
Also rumours that GC was circuling BS

BS extension seemed bizarre at the time in isolation. Seeing he was contracted it was meaningless to that mid year.

Made sense for the purposes of signing Kelly.

Yeah okay.

This discussion is not a Brad Scott autopsy thread, it's about what the people in charge of the club do as we move forward.
I'm kinda of hoping we don't throw insane amounts of cash at Longmire and Clarko and have it leaked publicly
Have it baked in the media for most part of the year.
And then inevitably go with an unknown.
Which really isn't an issue.

But the bigfish narrative remains.

I'm kinda of hoping we don't throw insane amounts of cash at Longmire and Clarko and have it leaked publicly. Have it baked in the media for most part of the year.

It won't matter. The media will just make :poo: up anyway.

Any prospect who starts playing dominance politics with the board should be immediately dismissed from contention.

Coaching North Melbourne is their honor and not our privilege.

Last edited:
It won't matter. The media will just make :poo: up anyway.

Any prospect that starts playing dominance politics with the board, should be immediately dismissed from contention.

Coaching North Melbourne is their honor and not our privilege.
I think Buckley will be the man to do most of the final negotiations
He's the man and I believe a fully credentialled negotiator.

I'm also assuming he left all the previous negotiations up to the footy department when it came to the big fish players and they cocked it up enormously...Joyce and co.

Chairman Ben stepped up, Coach Scott has fallen, and the Board has bought themselves time to rectify the current course and steer us toward our 5th premiership.

If they cannot deliver, they must also fall.

A cultural realignment of this club is essential and a crucial 6 months lies ahead.

Do you think this board has the balls to be ruthless ?

I hope so, because all I see is a bunch of yes men

Do you think this board has the balls to be ruthless ?

I hope so, because all I see is a bunch of yes men

I can only hope mate, because it's crucial to our survival.

I think they will be. Just sacked the coach, director of footy in strife and just called a review. At this stage they seem to be at the other end of the spectrum to yes men.

They also have to include a change in dealing with the media from now on.

This is the type of thing I am talking about:

1558910982565.png

Where is there ANY proof that we have actually spoken to Longmire? Where is this "wish list"?

Sure enough, there'll be people here that will lap up the North + failure consensus anyway.

This is where the board need to step up and start calling out journos for making up bullshit to undermine their credibility.

This happens and the manufactured negative garbage will die down quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back