Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Ellis is what he is. But what I see is a damn fine run and carry footballer that has slowly added some contested and defensive stuff to his game. So he's a high quality role player - outside mid. As the HBF he was OK, but when isolated he isn't much chop one on one.

That already puts him in the top 20%ish of AFL drafted players. Right now he is a mature quality player that adds to our team. Additionally he is an important part of our culture. So as long as he isn't soaking up too many $ he's an obviously important part of our 2-3 year future.

However, if we have equal of better quality kids coming through then the need to keep him decreases. But simply replacing a very experienced and proven player with an untried kid is probably silly. SO what we need to do IMHO is to look at the trade off of keeping BEllis versus what we can get in a trade. IF we reckon Pickett or the kids can fill that hole then we'd have to look hard at an option that got us a top 25 pick. And for many teams he would be worth that. For example Melbourne has a very talented list, but ball movement is poor. BEllis would go a very long way to solving that issue. So for them I could see a good argument to trade their first for Brandon (with something coming back probably). He would give them a weapon they just don't have. And other clubs are in a similar position.

In 2020 the other players competing for a spot will be ready to play AFL and Brando might find himself in trouble. For us the equation is whether keeping Branden to ensure we have that maturity and consistent quality on the wing outweighs the value of other guys playing AFL who will provide a longer term quality option. It might be better to suck up the issues of playing a kid and to get a good draft pick and (more importantly IMHO) to create room to develop the squad for the next decade in the wing. But then maybe not - maybe a premiership shot now is worth more than multiple finals spots over the next decade.

Ellis is what he is. But what I see is a damn fine run and carry footballer that has slowly added some contested and defensive stuff to his game. So he's a high quality role player - outside mid. As the HBF he was OK, but when isolated he isn't much chop one on one.

That already puts him in the top 20%ish of AFL drafted players. Right now he is a mature quality player that adds to our team. Additionally he is an important part of our culture. So as long as he isn't soaking up too many $ he's an obviously important part of our 2-3 year future.

However, if we have equal of better quality kids coming through then the need to keep him decreases. But simply replacing a very experienced and proven player with an untried kid is probably silly. SO what we need to do IMHO is to look at the trade off of keeping BEllis versus what we can get in a trade. IF we reckon Pickett or the kids can fill that hole then we'd have to look hard at an option that got us a top 25 pick. And for many teams he would be worth that. For example Melbourne has a very talented list, but ball movement is poor. BEllis would go a very long way to solving that issue. So for them I could see a good argument to trade their first for Brandon (with something coming back probably). He would give them a weapon they just don't have. And other clubs are in a similar position.

In 2020 the other players competing for a spot will be ready to play AFL and Brando might find himself in trouble. For us the equation is whether keeping Branden to ensure we have that maturity and consistent quality on the wing outweighs the value of other guys playing AFL who will provide a longer term quality option. It might be better to suck up the issues of playing a kid and to get a good draft pick and (more importantly IMHO) to create room to develop the squad for the next decade in the wing. But then maybe not - maybe a premiership shot now is worth more than multiple finals spots over the next decade.

DR T

Brandon Ellis is a RFA and Clubs do not need to trade for him which makes him appealing to clubs the virtually get him for the $$$ and no trade required

I think he will get an offer around $600k x 4 years that would net us a pick roughly around pick #20-#30 depending on how the afl rate him
But if he gets an offer around the $700k (possible if 2 suitors ) the we ill definitely get a end of 1st round pick

That to me is a good deal to not match

DR T

Brandon Ellis is a RFA and Clubs do not need to trade for him which makes him appealing to clubs the virtually get him for the $$$ and no trade required

I think he will get an offer around $600k x 4 years that would net us a pick roughly around pick #20-#30 depending on how the afl rate him
But if he gets an offer around the $700k (possible if 2 suitors ) the we ill definitely get a end of 1st round pick

Look to some clubs he's worth that. And for us it'd be very hard not to accept the loss of Brando and take the pick. I reckon that we have too much talent on the list to not take a serious look at some loss of more mature players. Brando is really good, but I don't consider him core (like Dusty, Cotch, JR, Rance, Tom).

For someone like the Demons he'd transform their running ability, so he'd be worth the $. That this is true tells you a lot about how they have constructed their list - poorly in terms of balance. It'll be interesting to see if he has some serious suitors. If he was offered 2-300K more per year he'd surely have to think of going. And we couldn't match. Interesting really.

geez this debate never goes away.It never goes away because Ellis for some is a good player and no matter how poor he is at times and in certain areas he will always be a good player to those supporters.

Me i have always been in the opposite camp and quite frankly think him a very ordinary and expendable player who just has too many short comings in his game.

As for other clubs wanting him as a f/a i just dont get it. I look at him and think he would be one of the last players i would look to bring to a club in any capacity.People talk of NM and Polek and while he is a player i dont like i think he is a better similar type to Ellis.

Yep this bloke polarises debate, you either like him for what ever reasons and in honesty imo there are few good reasons to like him or you hate him as a player for many justifiable reasons.As a suppoerter there are some things i just cant abide and Ellis displays too many of those things.

As for other clubs wanting him as a f/a i just dont get it. I look at him and think he would be one of the last players i would look to bring to a club in any capacity.People talk of NM and Polek and while he is a player i dont like i think he is a better similar type to Ellis.
Harsh call right here. Is an incredible clubman by the sounds of it and his training standards would be great for a young list learning what it takes to play at the highest level.

Does he have flaws? Sure does, everyone does. I reckon there would be several clubs out there keen to take a punt on him.

I for one am glad hes still here and that hes played his role so well over the start of the season when weve been decimated by injury.

What i dont like about Ellis is when he gets the ball he always stops and props and his kicking is not great mostly bobbing the ball up and never continue's the manic attack.

Both Naish and Turner have a nice kick and both run and break the lines as well as their kicking being a level above Ellis
Ellis was a good kick before AFL.
Pressure at AFL level can do that.
Let's see how both Naish & Turner etc at the highest level before judging.

DR T

We couldn't match anything over $1.lol

Look to some clubs he's worth that. And for us it'd be very hard not to accept the loss of Brando and take the pick. I reckon that we have too much talent on the list to not take a serious look at some loss of more mature players. Brando is really good, but I don't consider him core (like Dusty, Cotch, JR, Rance, Tom).

For someone like the Demons he'd transform their running ability, so he'd be worth the $. That this is true tells you a lot about how they have constructed their list - poorly in terms of balance. It'll be interesting to see if he has some serious suitors. If he was offered 2-300K more per year he'd surely have to think of going. And we couldn't match. Interesting really.
I rate him tail core ender...he's helped to keep our season going with all our injuries going out...a consistent good player!

I rate him tail core ender...he's helped to keep our season going with all our injuries going out...a consistent good player!

Agree this year.

By core I meant the guys that really make a major difference. And right now that list is very long, with Brando at the tail end. However I reckon we can replace him, whereas we can't replace JR or Dusty.

I feel weird to think that I would support his loss for a good pick. Because you don't want to lose players like him. But I also see that we have replacements that need AFL time. I reckon going out of our way to move him on would be a mistake. But if the right situation arises then we let it play out to our advantage.

Thanks for settling the debate. It's official now, Ellis is a very good player.
no matter how poor he is at times and how poor he is in a lot of areas there are those supporters who will continue to think him a top player regardless of performance and deficiencies.

As i said he will forever be a polarising player with many who can not stand him and many who cant see the forest for the trees who unbelievably think he is a top player.

good post i would like to add - cotch, garth, prestia, graham, lambert, bachar, nanks and caddy have all suffered soft tissue injuries in very recent times. astbury, grimes, and now . jackR and lynch are always a worry and we are on the edge of our seats of their old injuries flaring up.... but not brando ticks all the boxes and more...he aint selwood for courage or dusty for wow factor.... but surely hes crucial while we are in this premiership window. we will lose WA guys with the conca go home factor that will get the overs package in the coming years.... so id be offering brando a fair and reasonable 2 mil over 4 with a clause or 2 and take it from there.

no matter how poor he is at times and how poor he is in a lot of areas there are those supporters who will continue to think him a top player regardless of performance and deficiencies.

As i said he will forever be a polarising player with many who can not stand him and many who cant see the forest for the trees who unbelievably think he is a top player.
Obvious those who cannot see the forrest for the trees are those responsible for handing out accolades like 3 x AFLPA under 22 AA side (in its short life he's the only 3 time member, Dusty made it twice) Jack Titus medalist, All Australian squad member, Premiership player, and having a very good current season so far. Not bad for an ordinary player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obvious those who cannot see the forrest for the trees are those responsible for handing out accolades like 3 x AFLPA under 22 AA side (in its short life he's the only 3 time member, Dusty made it twice) Jack Titus medalist, All Australian squad member, Premiership player, and having a very good current season so far. Not bad for an ordinary player.

Can we have that Brandon Ellis back before he become the player he is today

Take your mopsy tinted glasses off, It's the same player, he's having a ripper year.
A Ripper year you say !! I would say he's having a better year than he has and doing his job but still very much in the last 5 players in the team

Now these glasses you have lol

If there is 1 poster on this board that would be gone ................... I think you know who that is so please i like you dont compare me to him but even a broken clock is right 2 times a day

Brando got coaches votes in two of our greatest H&A wins in decades, Port and Freo on the road, he likes a bigger challenge than n0rf. ;)
Yes which makes my point if you can comprehend. Both of those teams are garbage with poor defensive pressure and lack of genuine talent.
Edit. lol he played like a busted a-hole.
People on here are dreaming saying he’s worth 600-700k.

Last edited:
Hard contested game last night and he was found wanting again.

No way should we be matching any FA bids on this bloke if we are building our next team to have a crack at the big one then he’s one that needs to be upgraded. Kmac ,Lambert and Stack should be playing wing. Naish and Turner to get opportunities as well.

I’m not sure what it looked like on TV but at the ground the amount of times that Ellis was in no mans land waving his hands 70 m away from play (players can’t kick that far Brandon!!!) was embarrassing.
Saw it last week too against the Bumbers doesn’t put himself in the action is continually looking for that sideways release kick, panics with ball in hand and kicks with far too much hang time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back