Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this another Optus turf related injury? There’s been more than a few.

Very frustrating.
One is okay. Two is questionable now three. Yeah it’s not a freak injury. Combined with Barrass’ stress fracture and Edwards navicular. It’s becoming too much of a coincidence

One is okay. Two is questionable now three. Yeah it’s not a freak injury. Combined with Barrass’ stress fracture and Edwards navicular. It’s becoming too much of a coincidence
The Optus turf was kept a little harder for the soccer GF combined with bugger all rain until Friday just gone. The club are steering away from this but it is an issue.

Unlike many on here, I actually quite like Adam Simpson who was banging on about this earlier in the season and because he copped so much for it (incl. the stadium) he has just left it alone now.

We will need to modify our training and player management better at least up until the bye round because the grounds in WA are so hard with bugger all rain in March/April/May/half June until the rain soaks in and softens the ground(s).

The comment about Sandilands above is correct. He seems over the speed bump and has been earmarked for around round 17/18. The next 5-6 weeks is about Darcy. The middle of last season was a disaster when we had Apeness/Jones going together for a spell. Jones is the brake glass in case of emergency over the next period until Sandi is good to go.

Unlike many on here, I actually quite like Adam Simpson who was banging on about this earlier in the season and because he copped so much for it (incl. the stadium) he has just left it alone now.

Nail on the head. He made a comment and was slammed, and since then both clubs have combined to lose (by my count) four talls to stress issues in the foot.

Surface is a factor, it can’t be denied, no matter what team or coach you like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nail on the head. He made a comment and was slammed, and since then both clubs have combined to lose (by my count) four talls to stress issues in the foot.

Surface definitely a factor. Too many injuries to be a coincidence.

Need to also consider what boots the players are wearing, is there enough padding in the boots?

The coasters seem to implement some strategies earlier than we did (or if we have at all). My memory isn’t the best however I vaguely remember Simpson at an early season presser saying something along the lines of less training at Optus and more training in joggers. Feel free to correct me if wrong.

This will certainly challenge our season now. We will get to expose some players which will help for future seasons (ie Logue & Darcy). Also get further opportunity to see whether the likes of Nyhuis and Jones are worth keeping or delisting. Other than tough to remain positive at the moment.

The coasters seem to implement some strategies earlier than we did (or if we have at all). My memory isn’t the best however I vaguely remember Simpson at an early season presser saying something along the lines of less training at Optus and more training in joggers. Feel free to correct me if wrong.

He flagged it prior to our first game at Optus this year, then again in Round 5 (I think it was) when Barrass went down. I don’t know about joggers but the club do make an effort to not train at Optus now.

I’m not sure what Fremantle’s training setup is, but are there questions around how hard your training surface is? Might be a factor. The Eagles are moving permanently to Lathlain shortly, and I wonder if another new ground will be equally as hard as Optus.

He flagged it prior to our first game at Optus this year, then again in Round 5 (I think it was) when Barrass went down. I don’t know about joggers but the club do make an effort to not train at Optus now.

I’m not sure what Fremantle’s training setup is, but are there questions around how hard your training surface is? Might be a factor. The Eagles are moving permanently to Lathlain shortly, and I wonder if another new ground will be equally as hard as Optus.
That’s another possibility, but then again Fremantle oval was notoriously hard, squishy for training anyway. Peter Bell made a comment about it a few times.
Pretty sure Cockburn was laid late prior to pre season and hence has to grow rapidly using orange sand.
Not sure how it would be now

It was after a loss. Hence the slamming of the comment. But now it’s starting to add up and be damning. Look around the league and can’t see any stress fractures for one team but 5 over two teams? Hmm.

Optus stadium has made no secret of its intent to attract world class cricket and that’s the priority ahead of the AFL season. Combined with regular concerts throughout summer. Come around March and it’s a scramble to get it right again.
Ed Sheeran opened the stadium then the next week or two West Coast played Sydney. And from that first game, there’s been complaints. Lance Franklin was repetitively mentioned as having sore heel from the surface, Longmire made no effort to blame anything else, but the ground itself.

Bit of both I reckon.

Pressure is on - certainly for Ross to get this sorted as the consequences for him are career threatening.

The pressure is on Bell to get it sorted. Strength and Conditioning report to him, not Ross. Irrespective of who is coaching, the club needs these leg issues sorted out as we can't contend in the next 5 years with this list if our spine is on crutches instead of the footy oval.

Bit of both I reckon.

Pressure is on - certainly for Ross to get this sorted as the consequences for him are career threatening.

We've seen what Lyon can do with a team that hasn't lost 3 of its 4 in form key position players. The only one left still standing and still playing well is Hamling. Undoubtedly things will be much harder from here on out and expectations may need to be re-evaluated. Richmond are battling hard and struggling, and we've now reached similar circumstances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back