Review Positives and Negatives vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Really strong performance. We settled early and put in 4 quarters. Best outing of the past couple of months.

+ promising debut from Cameron
+ vintage JJK. Should have had 6 easy.
+ defence looked well settled with Bunga back on point, mostly.

- goal kicking :barf
- Bombers looked dangerous as soon as they broke our zone. We are horrible on transition.
- not too much really. We held the whip the whole night essentially.

Hutch was great on Saad

Our whole forward line defensive pressure was very very good
Petch was so good defensively on Mckenna had him moved into forward line in the last
Young Cameron 7 tackles was outstanding for his debut he hurried his oppo when chasing

Those 3 where very good

Then the running of Cripps and Ryan to get in good positions to receive the ball they worked there arses of

The best defensive game of our forwards for the season

Have some of you campaigners been drinking the vic cool aid? That was the best 4 quarter performance I have seen this year. Accuracy was bad but how scary is our team if we kicked straight? There is no way we'll be that inaccurate every week.

Also, we've got nic nat, barrass and rioli to add into that side. We have every chance to build serious momentum in the second half of the season, finish third or second and be well placed for a B2B tilt.

Not gonna lie. I wanted blood. At three qt time i was optimistic of a huge win. That said im not disappointed with the game overall. Now just need to go to the G and finally get the job done against the Hawks.

Gotta admit I was melting down a bit at half time. Seen so many times blow games because they don't hit the scoreboard when they have momentum. Couple that with our not-so-great record against Essendon in the last half decade or so and could really see this one coming back to bit us in the ass. It would have put a massive dent in our top four ambitions had we dropped tonight's game, leaving us potentially as low as 7th.

But all is well that ends well and it was a huge performance around the ground. Absolutely dominated a decent Essendon outfit. As has been pointed, their shots conceded in the last 10 rounds or so is just over 20 and we had 36 tonight. Goalkicking is not usually a huge concern for us, so it will hopefully just be a one-week aberration.

What an interesting part of the draw we enter. Hawthorn and Fremantle are probably the two most unpredictable teams this year. In terms of inconsistency we aren't far behind either team, so god knows what could happen in these next two matches. Collingwood we've had the wood over in recent games and they haven't beat us in Perth for a decade so on recent history we should have them covered but you could never rock up for a GF replay expecting to win. Melbourne have easily been the biggest underachievers of 2019, but they could turn up at a moments notice and start playing like it's 2018 all over again. Genuinely anything could happen over the next month.

+ Hurleys game. Ess fans saying he's AA. Was one of OUR best today
+ Our mids. That includes Hickey too. Sheed/Yeo/Redden all immense.
+ Underrated game from Gov for me. Was at his best. Don't get suspended for tripe. Didn't realise Jonathon Brown played for Freo either.
+ Shep/Jetta/Duggan all great.
+ Cameron's debut was great. Said it when we drafted him. He's a gem. Like his brother offers so much more than possessions.
+ Hutch job on Saad. Wish he hurt him on scoreboard. Early it meant Zerrett hurt but trust Simmo.

- Goalkicking. Yikes that hurt.
- O.Allen looked sloppy tonight. I'd have Hickey over him for now. Missed an opportunity. Talking about NN back.
- Those random awful Darling kicks.
- Admit Cole has been average but his best is waves above Nelson. Even prefer Rotham. Nelson wasn't too bad but don't see the advantage.
- The commentary was just straight up awful minus the taxi jokes. VFL and Basil with pun central. No thanks.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

+ Have to mention Redden, is it the best milestone game an Eagle has ever had? Sheed was BOG but Redden’s work in packs was immense & was so effective going forward with 30 touches at 86% & 13 score involvements.
Cousins 200th against the Lions at Subiaco for me.

First and foremost:

+++the man, the myth, the legend JK playing sick... next minute with only 1 leg and half a working arm clunks everything and kicks 3. A "few" misses we can all put down to bravely fighting on through illness.

+ Hickey was good, especially in the 2nd half. Tackles, in and under, some good second efforts.

+ Yeo, beast. Redden good 2.

+ Hutch - unbelievable people questioning his usefulness tonight. Shut down their most dangerous play maker. Wore Saad like a cheap suit. Was actually good to watch it live - and then had a chance to kick a couple (hard to kick straight when you are living in someones pocket I suppose).

+ Shepp - Fantasia was his bitch.

+ Gov, gee Carey changed his tune. Lyon didn't even mention him post game. But is going to get screwed over by the MRO. Although pleasantly surprised with some commentators saying it is a fine tops. Except Eddie who wanted to replay it 15 times, not like we are playing Collingwood soon... oh wait. Maybe he is hoping Gov gets 3 weeks

- everyone kicking points (except JK, who kicked heroic on-his-death-bed points which are the only acceptable type)

- commentary was embarrassing.

- Petrols legs moving so quickly that he sprays the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

twinkletoes#17 pretty much has most of what I think typed out, but I can't help myself. It feels good to type this out.. it's cathartic.

To all those people calling a win a win every week, this is exactly why that phrase is redundant. There are two types of losing, as there are winning. This belongs in the good-*******-win column. People wrote off Essendon like they're a bit of a pushover side. I don't agree and think they're dangerous when they're on (as could be argued, are any team in the competition this year).

+ That perfectly weighted kick by Ryan to Allan. My member was pointing at 12 o'clock. Better than pr0n.
+ Sheed. That man has a golden boot, loving his abilities. It's interesting to me, because he's not your typical ripped athlete powerhouse body but his skills are elite.
+ Finally, we did some running play that I remember our team is famous for. We didn't bomb it into packs all game. That running ball is deadly, we should keep on keeping on.
+ Ryan, even though he did some weird stuff, really set up some lovely stuff
+ Yeo. I don't need to explain this one at alll
+ Midfield immense: Gaff & Shuey especially.
+ I thought Hickey's rucking and effort was fantastic.
+ Our backline ferocious. So good. Especially Gov, Shep. and Schofield. He was really in good form and continues to be one of the best shutdown guys around. The tagging was also fantastic on Saad.
+ We're literally overflowing with talent. We don't have enough space for all our talent. What a great position to be in!!
+ Surprisingly, some commentators pro Gov saying it's a fine or nothing at all. I agree, a fine at best.
+ Cameron: fantastic debut. AFL blood runs in their family that's for sure!

- The commentary. ******* * the * off. You clowns call yourself AFL professionals. You are deplorable swill. * off. * off. * off. Edit: just noticed that BT calls Yeo, Cripps in the 3rd quarter when Yeo tries to handball into a player to make it go out. How can you confuse those two? BT is a campaigner. One of the most annoying viruses out there.
- We're gonna get done by the MRO. Christiansen is a literal moutpiece of VFL bias. Count Gov out. They'll twist it and put the knife in us, again, as always. Just look at our track record recently.
- Darling seems to be in a slump again. Hopefully he finds himself again like he did against the dogs because he's been average to bad twice in a row now, and it wasn't supply. Our supply was fantastic.
- Kicking. Sad stuff.
- Pech is a gun with his running and pace. No argument there. His kicking is shocking. Set shot, or on the run, horrendous. He needs to really improve that aspect. He seems to only nail it from snaps, or directly in front of the sticks. That needs to change. Not knocking him as a player though, he works hard too.
- Basil. Need I say more?
- Repetition of the incident with Gov. Eddie, you are a class-A campaigner. How about repeating the Collingwood incident over and over.
- The Vardy media beat up. They couldn't help but carry on about it. Thank god cooler heads prevail. Kudos to Brayshaw family and Lyon for not fanning the flames.

Onward and upward. Hopefully, we won't rue the lost percentage :(
That's my meal of it.

Last edited:
More love for Hickey please fam. Once again he proved a more than capable solo ruckman once we don't hamstring him by carrying Vardy. Annoyed me every time the idiot commentators thought Nicnat was going to come back in and ruck solo. Which he has never done in his career.

18 touches, 11 contested, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 26HO's, and 8 clearances (most on the ground) :whitecheck:

Darling was shocking. Absolutely no impact on the game, gifted a goal when he marked Yeo's shot as it went through. Missed opportunity to get off the leash.

10 touches, 5 clangers, 1 tackle :toilet:

Oscar was also pretty bad IMO. Lost a lot of contests with his opponent and then blew his chances at goal whenever he got them. I did like his efforts in the ruck (particularly one contest where he totally outleaped and beat Bellchambers) as well as his link up stuff around the ground. Good chop out ruck.

Had 7 Clangers, the most on the ground :crossmark:

Thought Nelson played quite well. Solid, kept his man quiet, didn't make any errors, provided a bit of dash off HB. Can't knock that performance at all :whitecheck:

Another frustrating installment in the Petrucelle story but he wasn't "bad". Just doesn't commit his body enough. Isn't hungry to win a contested footy or wrap up an opposition player, he skirts the packs a bit. When he finally CAN launch at the ball in the air or bodyline a bouncing footy, he fluffs it. Only the one tackle for Petch as well, he could learn a couple things off Cameron 🤷‍♂️

Then there's Marsden.... 🐐

Last edited:
Haha..I Know, I know, how could they, what's wrong with Perth, Putting a victorian in a taxi, they need to improve on this, it's not good enough...but wait let's interview the Don's medico-he says it's not serious enough to warrant an ambo, it might be a rib problem, or a wrist or concussion, we're not sure but thought it better to be safe than sorry, so we put him in a taxi...so what the hell are Duck and BT and Basilbrush being such histrionic drama queens for?????????? Yawn. tedium ad nauseam!

Here's the thing. Last I looked, ambulances were part of the public health service so unless we want the general population to miss out on an emergency service because an AFL footballer feels a bit iffy, then he can catch a bloody taxi.

Oscar was also pretty bad IMO.
Harsh.

2nd year player against much more seasoned and stronger bodies.

Yes was beaten but “pretty bad” for me is a stretch. Fought hard and was clean as a whistle below his knees.

One player I’m very much looking forward to watching develop.

Cameron must stay in either for Petch or to force Rioli to come back via the WAFL.

7 tackles and 4 scoring shots for a 19 year old must be rewarded.

Fear he’ll be the first one out though

+ We dominated every bit of that game
+ Sheed, Gaff, Yeo, Redden and Shuey massive
+ Hutch shutting down Sadd
+ Hickey was massive great game
+ Gov, Shep, Hurn massive

- Goal kicking, home that does not come home to bite
- Masten did nothing
- Darling had an off game

Think Ryan is in the same boat in that regards.
I think Ryan was thinkign too much with his game and the goals. It was a nearly best on ground game i thought. His work rate for a small forward is outstanding. That goal he could have gotten near the goal line,was nearly a masterpiece. He didnt see the bloody hand coming back the way it did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back