Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the thread, the majority I see from Hawks fans is around defending against subjective arguments as to why he wouldn't join Hawks. Ie. no money, s**t list etc. Sure, some have made arguments against him joining other teams and those fans are allowed to defend their team the same way. You seem to only take issue when we do it though. You can't have it both ways.

I'm yet to see any Hawks fan state as fact that Cogs is coming to us. We're hopeful, but we simply don't know. I'm not the only one who has stated that either.
As i said above.

That is just not true, 90% of this thread is s**t canning our list and that is where Hawk fans get up in arms.

If someone is of the opinion that he is going elsewhere that is fine i couldn't care less and i am sure most Hawk fans wouldn't either. Most days when i click on this thread it is just more posts attacking our list. Whether people think that is true or not it would be better fitted in plenty of other threads and not this one.
If they're off-topic (nothing to do with Coniglio) hit report and I'll remove them. I've removed a lot of posts down that vein already, happy to remove a few more. If people just want to generically discuss the list there is another thread perfectly suited to that. It's called "club focus - hawthorn 2019".

Of course if someone makes the argument (for example) that Coniglio would want to play in the midfield with Mitchell and O'Meara, other posters are perfectly within their rights to make the same argument about Cogs playing in their team's midfield. He's not a Hawthorn player yet, it's not meant to be a Hawthorn thread and there is no home ground advantage on this board. And if there was a home ground advantage, it would be to GWS. :shrug:

Why would Gold Coast be any more of a troll suggestion than Carlton or St Kilda? They're all at the bottom of the ladder, Carlton has a similarly young list, and Gold Coast at least has a coach.

I guess the assumption is that Sydney and Melbourne don't need a mid and/or can't afford him, but if we threw those two in we'd complete the set.

I wouldn't say it's a troll suggestion but I don't see why a player like Coniglio would consider going there. Gold Coast's current position isn't far removed from the first few years of Coniglio's career at GWS. Why would he want to go through that again at age 26? Tom Lynch played 131 games there and only won 37. I can see why he wanted to get out.

There is also no pull to Gold Coast. There's a pull to home in WA and the team he supported before being drafted and a pull to Melbourne via friends, former teammates etc. and that Melbourne is the centre of the footy universe. His supposed BFF Jaeger O'Meara is from 4 hours North of Perth and chose to move to Melbourne to play footy. If I was choosing a club to play for in Melbourne it wouldn't be St Kilda personally (though I might get a game hur hur) but Carlton while pretty hopeless are a dormant version of what they could be. Judd went there when they were a wooden spoon regular, they have deep pockets and hands that reach into them and then under the table. A hopeless Carlton team will still play at the MCG in front of 80,000 people. A Gold Coast team with Ablett at his peak used to play in front of passers by. Plus with a name like Coniglio I'm sure he could find himself a side gig with Mick Gatto and friends in some dubious dispute mediation business...

But yeah if I was Coniglio I would definitely join WC. They seem like good guys...

That is just not true, 90% of this thread is s**t canning our list and that is where Hawk fans get up in arms.

If someone is of the opinion that he is going elsewhere that is fine i couldn't care less and i am sure most Hawk fans wouldn't either. Most days when i click on this thread it is just more posts attacking our list. Whether people think that is true or not it would be better fitted in plenty of other threads and not this one.

The strength or lack of in a list is one of the most important reasons a top player would choose a club to move to. There is talk around, some from Leigh Matthews, that Hawthorn is no longer a destination club for top players.

For most supporters, other than Hawthorn, your list is at best old and average and at worst diabolical.

Surely that is a valid discussion point to talk about when weighing up the possibilities of Coniglio moving there or not.

I wouldn't say it's a troll suggestion but I don't see why a player like Coniglio would consider going there. Gold Coast's current position isn't far removed from the first few years of Coniglio's career at GWS. Why would he want to go through that again at age 26? Tom Lynch played 131 games there and only won 37. I can see why he wanted to get out.

There is also no pull to Gold Coast. There's a pull to home in WA and the team he supported before being drafted and a pull to Melbourne via friends, former teammates etc. and that Melbourne is the centre of the footy universe. His supposed BFF Jaeger O'Meara is from 4 hours North of Perth and chose to move to Melbourne to play footy. If I was choosing a club to play for in Melbourne it wouldn't be St Kilda personally (though I might get a game hur hur) but Carlton while pretty hopeless are a dormant version of what they could be. Judd went there when they were a wooden spoon regular, they have deep pockets and hands that reach into them and then under the table. A hopeless Carlton team will still play at the MCG in front of 80,000 people. A Gold Coast team with Ablett at his peak used to play in front of passers by. Plus with a name like Coniglio I'm sure he could find himself a side gig with Mick Gatto and friends in some dubious dispute mediation business...

But yeah if I was Coniglio I would definitely join WC. They seem like good guys...
I think it will be very interesting to see where he ends up. I actually really hope he stays, it doesn't suit anyone for GWS to become an empty basket and then a basketcase, and we've seen with Brisbane what happens to unsuccessful teams in non-traditional states. Once they bottom out it takes a hell of a lot more to get them going again compared to a fishbowl club with big sponsors, huge followings, rich coteries and poker machines.

I don't really think Queensland or SA clubs would be considered, although if he enjoys being in a non-traditional state, a Queensland club that has a good list, good prospects, a decent coach and a decent pay check could be worth a look. I think Brisbane is closer to that than Gold Coast is, though we all know where Brisbane were at this time last year and the AFL may try to make it worth his while. Sydney is the other non-traditional state option, though he might as well stay at GWS if he's going to be in NSW.

Geelong would be a fun idea if West Coast took Tim Kelly. Collingwood and Essendon have no first round picks. Then there's the Richmond, the Dogs, Freo and North. Melbourne is bottom six at the moment and seem to have their midfield sorted. I don't think growing up a West Coast fan is really relevant to whether Freo could get him, unless he's also a hopeless romantic, but yeah. The others have already been mentioned - Carlton, St Kilda, Hawthorn. I don't think I've missed anyone?

If he does leave he will have his choice, and it will reflect very well on whichever club he goes to, particularly if they're not a top six side.

Every club would sign Coniglio if they had the chance. The only way a club is ruled out is if he specifically wants a monster playing contract that prices them out of the market. He can get $800k-$1m anywhere and I would be very surprised if he thought that getting $1.4m at St Kilda or something was a better long term financial decision than joining a club like West Coast.

He's no fool, though. Whether he chooses to stay at GWS or move elsewhere it will be a calculated decision based on what's good for his footy career and life thereafter.

The saints are offering him 1.65M over 8 years, far more financially secure then anywhere else. In Melbourne’s bayside as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The strength or lack of in a list is one of the most important reasons a top player would choose a club to move to. There is talk around, some from Leigh Matthews, that Hawthorn is no longer a destination club for top players.

For most supporters, other than Hawthorn, your list is at best old and average and at worst diabolical.

Surely that is a valid discussion point to talk about when weighing up the possibilities of Coniglio moving there or not.
As Lore said, if you want to bitch about our list, take it to the Hawthorn 2019 thread.

As Lore said, if you want to bitch about our list, take it to the Hawthorn 2019 thread.

Do you have comprehension issues?

The strength or lack of in a list is one of the most important reasons a top player would choose a club to move to hence is a valid discussion point in relation to whether Coniglio might want or not to move there.

You think you have a good list, then use that argument to back up your claims as to why he would want to move there. It works both ways.

Do you have comprehension issues?

The strength or lack of in a list is one of the most important reasons a top player would choose a club to move to hence is a valid discussion point in relation to whether Coniglio might want or not to move there.

You think you have a good list, then use that argument to back up your claims as to why he would want to move there. It works both ways.
Hawthorn 2019

The saints are offering him 1.65M over 8 years, far more financially secure then anywhere else. In Melbourne’s bayside as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unbelievable money that, obviously if he chose that sort of money he'd have to accept he's never winning a flag as a player on the downside. Just not possible to win a flag when a club is paying a 10-20 player in the competition 1.65mill per season over 8 years.

Unbelievable money that, obviously if he chose that sort of money he'd have to accept he's never winning a flag as a player on the downside. Just not possible to win a flag when a club is paying a 10-20 player in the competition 1.65mill per season over 8 years.
That would actually destroy st kilda if he took that offer

With front loading, it actually makes sense for the Saints to offer a deal like that. They've got some incredible young talent that is not ready to be paid yet, but getting Coniglio in brings their window forward and they would be well short of meeting 95% of the salary cap at the moment.

I think he would be a very good addition to St. Kilda and the deal is nowhere near as bad for the club as some suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With front loading, it actually makes sense for the Saints to offer a deal like that. They've got some incredible young talent that is not ready to be paid yet, but getting Coniglio in brings their window forward and they would be well short of meeting 95% of the salary cap at the moment.

I think he would be a very good addition to St. Kilda and the deal is nowhere near as bad for the club as some suggest.

They have Hanners on 800k, Billings on big money, Greesham also, they won't have as much trouble filling out the cap as you'd think. But yeah I don't want it to get off topic talking about St Kilda TPP so I do apologise.

That explains why the Hawks are in a battle for 13th at the moment.... :thumbsu:

Saints and Suns are both ahead of the Hawks going forward.

As Clarko has said recently Hawks are not far off it, gap between the best teams and bottom 8 is the closest he has ever seen and Hawks are building towards another shot in 2-3 years. Fine you think that Clarko speaks s##t ..... I don’t!

As Clarko has said recently Hawks are not far off it, gap between the best teams and bottom 8 is the closest he has ever seen and Hawks are building towards another shot in 2-3 years. Fine you think that Clarko speaks s##t ..... I don’t!
I... um. You have every right to believe what your club sends to its members, but not even Clarkson would come out and say bad things about his club if he has any intention of keeping his job, attracting talented players to the club or keeping the members happy.

Keep trying not even one Brownlow medallist in among that lot
It's interesting isn't it? Most clubs that have a brownlow medallist are not currently in the market for a midfielder of Cogs' quality. But Geelong's midfield is that good that their two Brownlow medalists don't even start in the middle.

I... um. You have every right to believe what your club sends to its members, but not even Clarkson would come out and say bad things about his club if he has any intention of keeping his job, attracting talented players to the club or keeping the members happy.

It remains to be seen doesn't it ? But I don't think many Hawthorn fans would hold anything against Clarkson or the club if they said we were in need of a complete rebuild given we've seen 4 flags in a decade including a 3peat. So I truly believe Clarkson thinks we may only be 2-3 years away from more silverware, if Clarkson is right or not remains to be seen.

It remains to be seen doesn't it ? But I don't think many Hawthorn fans would hold anything against Clarkson or the club if they said we were in need of a complete rebuild given we've seen 4 flags in a decade including a 3peat. So I truly believe Clarkson thinks we may only be 2-3 years away from more silverware, if Clarkson is right or not remains to be seen.
You might not mind but I think Coniglio would. 2-3 years might be okay but a full rebuild could take longer than he'd want to be signing up for. If he wants to win a premiership as a 32 year old he could literally draw any club out of a hat, anything could happen in that time frame.

You might not mind but I think Coniglio would. 2-3 years might be okay but a full rebuild could take longer than he'd want to be signing up for. If he wants to win a premiership as a 32 year old he could literally draw any club out of a hat, anything could happen in that time frame.

If Clarkson actually thought in his mind we needed a full rebuild though we wouldn't even be entertaining the Idea of Coniglio or trading assets like we did for Wingard last year. I truly believe Clarkson believes we can be challenging in 2-3 years time.

If Clarkson actually thought in his mind we needed a full rebuild though we wouldn't even be entertaining the Idea of Coniglio or trading assets like we did for Wingard last year. I truly believe Clarkson believes we can be challenging in 2-3 years time.
Well I'm not going to try and convince you to believe that Clarkson believes otherwise :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back