List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If aren’t instructions from him does that mean the messages aren’t getting through?
Definitely possible, but I think the most likely cause is player's aren't perfect, especially young players and often make mistakes under pressure.

Not relevant to our current discussion though, since we were specifically talking about style.

The first step would be for the club to outwardly acknowledge that there's a need to change something.

A lack of that is what worries me currently.
Why would they do that right now? We are 7-8. That would be a ridiculous thing to come out and start talking about to the public at the moment. Who and what does outwardly acknowledging change at this point benefit? Not the time or the place.

Anyone on here who doesn't think the players, coaches, club dont care or aren't hurting are kidding themselves.
They should of been hurting after Carlton and showed us a response against WC in front of their home crowd. Looks like a lot (not all) are just here for the pay cheque.

They should of been hurting after Carlton and showed us a response against WC in front of their home crowd. Looks like a lot (not all) are just here for the pay cheque.
Anyone who has ever played sport (or any competitive venture) will have found themselves at times outmatched and ultimately beaten - sometimes badly. That doesn't mean you didn't try hard enough, or that you can't learn from it and improve in future, it just means you weren't good enough on the day. If this has ever happened to you, I'm sure you would have appreciated your supporters, friends and family telling anyone who would listen that you just didn't try hard enough. It's bad enough listening to opposition fans making ridiculous statements like this, but our own? That just makes me sad.

Anyone who has ever played sport (or any competitive venture) will have found themselves at times outmatched and ultimately beaten - sometimes badly. That doesn't mean you didn't try hard enough, or that you can't learn from it and improve in future, it just means you weren't good enough on the day. If this has ever happened to you, I'm sure you would have appreciated your supporters, friends and family telling anyone who would listen that you just didn't try hard enough. It's bad enough listening to opposition fans making ridiculous statements like this, but our own? That just makes me sad.
It's sad and beyond ridiculous to assume that you know how someone else feels unless they tell you. Especially a group of strangers.

Why would they do that right now? We are 7-8. That would be a ridiculous thing to come out and start talking about to the public at the moment. Who and what does outwardly acknowledging change at this point benefit? Not the time or the place.

Ridiculous is thinking that the whole footy world (including our own supporters)doesn't already know that there's changes to me made in some way shape or form and that not talking about this idea is changing this.

The media isn't just going to keep on building that narrative anyway and letting that train get even more out of control and not looking to create our own messaging around this is not something I agree with.

As much as Ross seems totally "Tefal" to his own situation we can't ignore we simply haven't progressed in the last two years
Our first round draft pick from 2018h hasn't hit the field.
Neither has our second round draft pick.
We surely aren't in the position to be picking project players

When it comes down to it...he seems unable to produce a gameplay that counteracts opponents.

When we go behind we struggle.

When opponents come from behind (29 points v Carlton) we struggle

The only question should be ...who is better who is available?
...except we have improved. Measurably.

Interesting that you believe playing our teenagers would make us progress.

If you consider the entire draft from our drafting of Sturt all the way to the start of the third round you have 35 games played. 15 of which are Duursma, 5 from Stocker, 5 from Rowbottom and 5 from Jack Ross. 21 players with zero games.

I'd argue that we are in the exact position to develop project players. We want the best players possible when we are challenging for a flag, not scrapping wins to get into finals and go no where.

So everything any player has ever done on the field was a direct instruction from the coach? Hopefully I don't have to point out how absurd that is?

It really is absurd to think that the ongoing patterns of behaviour that occur on a footy field are not related to the coaches instructions.

You're using an extreme view point (using words like 'everything' & 'ever') to try make a point but it clearly makes sense that Ross would have an influence over things like frequently bombing it long.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really is absurd to think that the ongoing patterns of behaviour that occur on a footy field are not related to the coaches instructions.

You're using an extreme view point (using words like 'everything' & 'ever') to try make a point but it clearly makes sense that Ross would have an influence over things like continually bombing it long.

I agree with you. The coach would advise someone like Langdon not to kick better, since that would be like telling the tide not to come in, but to instead turn it over as far up the ground as possible so as to give our team more time to get back into defensive positions.

The long bombs are a symptom of our opposition allowing certain lesser ball users to be the spare wide target knowing they will either turn it over trying to kick shorter into the corridor, bomb it long, kick backwards or maybe hit a loose target in the corridor. The percentage play is to kick the ball as far away from our goal as possible and hope we get enough of a contest down the line to force a stoppage.

The directive should be to not kick to a contest in the corridor because the boundary stoppage isn't an option and a turnover should result in a goal against.

So what is the issue here? It's the players standing in the corridor that aren't an option for a pass. We usually have a few leads into a tiny bit of space and then they move away and leave their opponent standing in the space.

We need a transition coach who will have our team running patterns in front of the ball that draw opponents into creating space. I've seen Adelaide doing this where they have a lead and the kicker will put the ball well over his head because there is a trailing lead behind him into what was nothing space, well guarded, until the player lead at the ball holder and dragged his man with him.

We need to run routes like that near the boundary, I don't think we have the kick in Hughes, Pearce or Logue to hit a dangerous space in the corridor. Luke Ryan could do it, Wilson might be able to do it.

We also need clear leadership on the field as to which transition plan we are using, because we need multiple, otherwise the opposition coach will instruct a half forward to go and sit in the space and block it up knowing we have kicked the same pattern five times in a row and a turnover here will result in goals to them.

So I agree. It's a coaching issue.

David Mundy puts in a mountain of work offering options by the way. Many, many *sigh* ... many times this year he has been five metres clear of his man running ahead of the ball and the Docker who just took the ball was closed down by the opponent standing the mark before he could wheel onto the right foot and move the ball onto Mundy. Or it's Ethan Hughes who has taken the ball and didn't feel he could make the kick. Or the kick was slightly away from the players advantage so they have to work back hard from the mark so they don't kick off the back foot and fluff it.

This same set play used to feature Alex Pearce by the way, who is much more likely to even the contest if he can't mark it.

The fast ball movement will make us look so much better, but it will burn us so, so hard if it doesn't come off.

Confidence plays a huge part in that. The player has to believe the coach will back them in for making a mistake trying to take the game on, the coach has to believe they will be supported trying to win that way.

I don't expect our players to be taking risky chances anytime soon with the atmosphere we have at the moment.

As much as Ross seems totally "Tefal" to his own situation we can't ignore we simply haven't progressed in the last two years
Our first round draft pick from 2018h hasn't hit the field.
Neither has our second round draft pick.
We surely aren't in the position to be picking project players

When it comes down to it...he seems unable to produce a gameplay that counteracts opponents.

When we go behind we struggle.

When opponents come from behind (29 points v Carlton) we struggle

The only question should be ...who is better who is available?
Exactly. We haven’t improved. Simple as that.

Still bombing the ball down the line, poor forward 50 entries, letting all out players get sucked into a stoppages leaving 4 opposition players free to break free from the contest.

The inability to control the footy for 3 or 4 mins, means we need to work very hard to get the ball back.

In short, I would like a coach that plays an uncontested style of footy for periods of the game

So you want a coach that plays an outdated game style?

If you didn't spend all of your waking minutes slagging Lyon you might notice there are seven games still to play.
So if I can’t say we’ve stagnated this year because there are 7 games to play, probably not fair to say we’ve improved either? Or is it only ok to you to present the positive spin on things?

Up to this point in 2018 our average winning margin was 31.33. This year it’s been 22.8.

Oh no! Based on a random arbitrary statistic I’ve picked we are going backwards!

Better team lose by less when they lose. It's a sign of competitiveness.

Take that same stat you quote and measure it against our total spread where the win is the 0 line. There is less of our result below the win line this season, hence we are trending upwards.

So if I can’t say we’ve stagnated this year because there are 7 games to play, probably not fair to say we’ve improved either? Or is it only ok to you to present the positive spin on things?
Except that we have. We had been thumped by this point in the season far more in the previous few seasons. That is not insignificant. It's inconvenient for you.

Back