List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we win all our games and make finals, of course I won’t be calling for his head. If he turns it around and we start to look dangerous, keep him on I say! I know it can be difficult to separate coach from club, but I want the club to do well. Bluntly, doesn’t bother me what happens to the coach to achieve that.

I’ve reported your post by the way. You’re trying to subtly do the whole “Freagle” nonsense again with the Sumich comments. Stop trying to get the board locked please.

Freagle wasn't used by me and you're a Sumich supporter, are you ashamed of that?

If you have read any of my posts my opinion was that Lyon had been given all the tools to succeed and if there wasn't Improvement shown by seasons end his contract would have to be looked at. With 7 games to go the jury is still out. The side has improved to this minute and the stats on that can't be disputed but there still is a lot of water to go under the bridge.

So you have the largely arbitrary timeframe of until the end of this year and Randomizer disagrees and wants a shorter timeframe so hes related to Peter Sumich?

Sounds reasonable.

No you’ve just picked a subjective measure in “competitiveness” and decided that suits your agenda. Let’s use the metric the competition uses hey?
..like the percentage that currently decides the middle of the ladder?

That's what it's based off. Ours is better this season too. By over 20%.

All these inconveniences for you.

So you have the largely arbitrary timeframe of until the end of this year and if anyone disagrees and Radomiser wants a shorter timeframe so hes related to Peter Sumich?

Sounds reasonable.

Yep and just like you and Randomizer I,m going to stick to my guns.
Ps . I don't think Randomizer needs you to ride shotgun for him or her.

The full article is behind a paywall but if the word guarantee was used by Ross can you think of another coach who has said that?

He must have compromising pictures of Rosich and Bell to say something like that.
He is addressing speculation that he may be applying for other positions, and that he will honour his contract.

..like the percentage that currently decides the middle of the ladder?

That's what it's based off. Ours is better this season too. By over 20%.

All these inconveniences for you.
🥳 You’ve finally quoted a metric that’s half-relevant! Half though, since percentage becomes irrelevant the more games you win. You win every game of the year, doesn’t matter your percentage. You’ve now shown increasing your percentage doesn’t necessarily indicate an improvement in win-loss. Cool!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say that it’s written into his contract that he can’t be sacked
That's what a contract is isn't it? I mean, no contract would say "Here's the deal, but we can sack you if we want to."

If you break a contract then there are consequences. But the club will honour the contract because it has been put in place alongside a schedule for rebuilding the list and game plan. Breaking contracts is not a good thing on either side, and I think the club should only do this if it has clearly better option, which it does not seem to have.

That's what a contract is isn't it? I mean, no contract would say "Here's the deal, but we can sack you if we want to."

If you break a contract then there are consequences. But the club will honour the contract because it has been put in place alongside a schedule for rebuilding the list and game plan. Breaking contracts is not a good thing on either side, and I think the club should only do this if it has clearly better option, which it does not seem to have.

I know Ross said this wasn't the case but given recent comments by Judd about wanting an experienced coach I wouldn't be surprised if Ross is at Carlton next year. He'd do well there as well to be honest.

Please explain to me and the mods how your Sumich relative comment was at all relevant to the discussion.

Didn't you bring up the alleged charge against him recently as a reason to sack him.
You never did explain how that had any relevance to how he coaches .
I don't think that it would matter to you how Freo finishes the season you want him gone.

Didn't you bring up the alleged charge against him recently as a reason to sack him.
You never did explain how that had any relevance to how he coaches .
I don't think that it would matter to you how Freo finishes the season you want him gone.
Don’t be a dick. I admitted I was wrong in doing that and edited my comment accordingly.

If you’re letting your emotions best you then perhaps take a breather from the thread?

I know Ross said this wasn't the case but given recent comments by Judd about wanting an experienced coach I wouldn't be surprised if Ross is at Carlton next year. He'd do well there as well to be honest.
Yes they clearly value and prefer experience. Me too.

There is often a bit of bounce with a new coach, as there is when a stand-in coach takes the helm as we are seeing at Carlton and North. I think a lot of this is due to the attitude of players, keen to impress. Sometimes it is more than that. Sometimes there is definitely a positive from a refreshing of the team environment. But as we saw at Brisbane, it is typically still going to mean a transition period of 3 or so years, and at Crows as well where the club performs well and seems set to take all before them, then cannot sustain it.

Regardless of what happens at our club, I think we need deeper input to our coaching brigade, and think that is better done at the assistant level, especially given our coach is in contract, and more or less on track for the advertised rebuild. See it through, and make a decision pending the results. Attack 2020 with a fit list and Lyon lives or dies by the results.

So you want a coach that plays an outdated game style?
All coaches play a defensive, congested forward line, the AFL can try to mess around with
the rules but until at least 2-4 forwards are zoned, the coaches are going to play ugly.
Nothing worse than than all players in one half.
All clubs give great effort so that advantage is gone, so turnovers, rebound footy is the key.
Skiiled teams that keep possession, switch, draw players out of the defence to create holes or
get easy ones out the back score easily.
The reality is you need both a congested and uncontested style, two coaching philosophies.
Fix the midfield, forward line and you fix Freo, back line will be AA with some luck.

Back