Autopsy Rd 17 Surging Blues beat Swans on their own turf

Who played well against the Swans in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With Demons losing today, implications: we smash GC next week, Eagles should wipe the floor with Demons and we jump to 16th on percentage, Sainst should lose to Bulldogs and we will be one game behind 15th.
Following week we grudge match smash Crows, Saints lose to Demons and we are on a three game win streak and sitting pretty in 15th.
Getting ahead of myself? Me thinks not...

Beating the demons last week would have made it all a hell of a lot easier...

With Demons losing today, implications: we smash GC next week, Eagles should wipe the floor with Demons and we jump to 16th on percentage, Sainst should lose to Bulldogs and we will be one game behind 15th.
Following week we grudge match smash Crows, Saints lose to Demons and we are on a three game win streak and sitting pretty in 15th.

If we manage to finish 15th (pick 4) and Adelaide finish where they currently are (pick 12), then we'd have traded pick 4 (2034 pts) for picks 12 and 19 (total 2216 pts), and on points have won the trade. A quality pick or trade with 12 and we'll be walking away laughing. Just gotta keep winning!

I have a personal question regarding my future, B71.......

Was driving to a function with the handbrake and Daughter, handbrake was playing some game on her phone whilst me and #1 daughter were listening to the footy on the car wireless, siren sounds we both scream YEEESSSSSSS and the handbrake nearly jumps out the window.
Very funny stuff.
handbrake?

Soooo happy with yesterdays game, obviously because we got a win but because it was a hard fought win. We outplayed the Swans all day but they didn't go away and kept pressing, i thought we really showed character and composure to keep ahead and win the game.

Ill say it every time i see it because i think its the basis for every good team/game, pressure, pressure, pressure. Our tackling and pressure yesterday was great, its infectious, builds pressure, creates doubt, doubt creates errors and errors allow for opportunity.

Playing well the past few weeks and winning yesterday with still Marchbank, Weits, Curnow, Doc, Willo, Cunners, Gov missing, gives me a lot of confidence going forward.

I really hope Cuningham is available next week, im not a fan of Lang in the side, David needs a good run to finish the year, as his body is holding him back currently.

A big shout out to Gibbons, he is slowly building his AFL game week by week, has good moments, goes missing, but he is finding ways to contribute in a role/position that is not his bread and butter, i think he will keep improving and hopefully as we get better, he will really start to play consistent football. A lot of clubs, us included will be thinking, how did we ignore this guy for so long.

Go Blues

Good point however Mcgovern managed not omitted was the easy call given his form .

It doesn't matter what they tell us. Either he is unfit and being managed or he is out of form and dropped, while telling us he was being managed. The important thing is McGovern knows which one it was.

Remember last year when we managed Weitering and he had a couple of minor injuries. He was terribly out of form and would have been dropped anyway.

11 pressure acts yesterday. Still averaging 18 for the season.

Interesting that Teague said we had some players playing roles for us that don't look like much on the stats sheet but they are important to the side.

Food for thought.
It certainly looked like Kennedy was doing this. Mostly staying deep inside F50 to keep his opponent from getting further up the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If bolts was trying to win, he was a bad coach.

If he was just coaching for the future without worrying about winning, he was a bad coach.

Not necessarily. It was a club wide plan to pump games and experience into the young players. Outside pressures changed that. We lost a few games we were entitled to win and if we did, everything would have been different.

And shouldn’t a mentor be someone YOU seek out ?

Bang!
There it is. I'm late reading the tail of this thread so held off on contributing just in case I was repeating someone else's fine observation.

I don't know what crazy-arse world you all live in but in mine, if your employer hires and pays for someone to give you advice that ain't no mentor - they're your boss. Alternatively, if your employer uses its network to put you in touch with candidates after you've indicated you're looking for a mentor - that's fine...and please don't automatically look to raid the soft cap or start using those brown paper bags again.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the time many of us thought it was the emergence one of the best ever. I still remember the day of the news of the tragedy. The end of the rise of the phoenix.
Then the next thing we also lost Des English.
Anyone that thinks winning is all it's about has no idea.
Those were tough times.
Yeah I remember Motleys car accident as well. Puts football well and truly into perspective when something like that happens.

Not necessarily. It was a club wide plan to pump games and experience into the young players. Outside pressures changed that. We lost a few games we were entitled to win and if we did, everything would have been different.

This is the thing though. We keep saying "He was playing for the future" as though that alone gives his methods credit.

You could be playing for the future and doing it well, or you could be playing for the future and doing it poorly.
Maybe Bolton was playing for the future but just doing it in a poor fashion. I don't know for sure but the paralysis in the box sent me the message he was out of his depth. He may have been a good coach through the week, but a poor tactician on game day.

Gibbons and Fisher arent getting much of a mention.
Thought they were a big part of our run all day harrasing gamestyle. They ran at the ball carrier and provided energetic links all over the ground.
In windy conditions that kind of pressure is a big part of turning the ball over.
For once those turnovers came to us a lot more than we gave them away.

Last edited:
It certainly looked like Kennedy was doing this. Mostly staying deep inside F50 to keep his opponent from getting further up the field.

Good point. On reflection, this is exactly what it seemed to be.

Kennedy is pretty good overhead also, although we haven't sen much of that yet.
Not a bad kick either as he's only in recent weeks started to stretch that leg out.

Good thinking.

Strangely, I was quite calm throughout the game. Even we they got within seven, I felt we were always in control. Very mature performance.
It's funny you say that, my dad didn't see the game, but when talking to him on the phone afterwards he actually asked "Did it feel like we'd stuff up at some point like we always do?"

And honestly my answer was no. Even when they kicked the goal with 90 odd seconds to go I still didn't really feel like we were going to slip up. I'm fairly sure they got to a point behind or so at some point as well didn't they? Even then I thought we'd kick away again.

I don't think I've been so comfortable watching a close game in years.

Gee I liked Newman yesterday. Was so clean and aggressive. Kicked it smart. No ‘across the body’ or ‘off one step’ rubbish.

More of than please.....and I’ll worry less about Willo.

Cheers.
We still have Doc to come back as well

Back