Preview Changes vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone dropping Schofield is a Muppet. He makes Gov and Sexual walk 2 ft taller. This week against the tigers especially.

My only change would be Cameron for Petch or for Hutch to actually tag someone.

So we should go in taller?

Obviously you have forgotten riund 1 when a smaller super quick side diced us up in the wet.

And that was v Lions not an in form Richmond.

Their manic forward line pressure could trouble us, our backs also are not big fans of playing on anyone. We never got to play the Tigers at their best last year so this week we will find out how we stack up. Can’t wait.
Garbage, they threw everything at us in our game last year, we absorbed it and smashed them by 40 odd points. I'm expecting a similar game - tight early but we break out 30 point winners in the 4th.

Richmond's write up of the preview to this weeks game is pretty impressive and worth a read, right up until they think who is going to win.. I can recommend!

Click below
Westcoast Vs Richmond Preview - 2019 Round 22 - Richmond vs West Coast, Sunday 18th of August @ MCG, 1:10pm

appreciate you giving the preview a plug here!

I think you will find there is a lot of respect between both our clubs which is sometimes hard to come by in modern football.

Huge game this week, I still think you're the team to beat just with how well balanced your side is.

Hopefully we get a good day weather wise and both teams can bring their A games!

and no injuries of course.

Worth a read:

The Richmond‘s "no-stopping, surging forward" style of play need to address. Cannot afford to let Richmond dominate clearances!
Unfortunately, we dont have Nic Nat‘s 30 HO and 7 tackles this time.
Clearances are not Richmond’s “thing”. They have the lowest clearance average in the league.

They rely on turnovers. We are not a high turnover side and are usually able to control the ball well. We hit targets and have some great kickers in our team. I am excited for this game.

Last edited:
Schoey will not be getting dropped and anyone calling for it doesn't understand the roles in our team. He is a lock down defender which allows Barass and Gov to be more attacking. Also, if he is going to be needed in any game it is this one w two big key forwards playing for Richmond.

Schoey will go to one of them and lock down. Look for Shep and Hurn to consistently fill the hole where the other will try to lead.

My 2 cents;

1) Hickey was beaten pretty badly yesterday at the stop pieces, but he comfortably beat Jacobs all around the ground. No change to our rucks until Nic Nat returns

2) Schofield's presence at fullback helps Barrass and McGovern set up a kick behind the footy for their intercept games. He stays for that reason however there's a fair old argument to go smaller against Richmond's small forwards. Wouldn't be shocked either way as something is wrong with our defence at the minute.

3) I agree with those calling for a switch of Petch for Cameron - better defence and cleaner disposal

4) Kennedy played on an 2x AA defender and just missed a couple of clunks he'd normally take. But people calling for him to be dropped are off the reservation. Would people really want Waterman, Allen or Darling taking the oppositions #1 defender?

Not sure if the rain forecast changes anything but would be stiff to drop waterman given his excellent performance yesterday. I also think he is a good placeholder to our structure in case nic nat comes back, with allen shifting to waterman’s current role if nic returns.

I could see us going unchanged, with petch v cameron probably the only debate. Duggo to play wafl this week.

For those mentioning hutch vs masten, go have a listen to Nathan Van Berlo’s interview pre game on 6pr. Essentially he said the MC’s view was hutch and masto are both able to play the defensive wing role to similar effect, but they prefer having the flexibility of using hutch to tag where required. Also said unfortunately its hard to squeeze 7 mids into 6 spots so someone was going to be stiff.

Can’t see masto coming in unless there is a midfield injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those mentioning hutch vs masten, go have a listen to Nathan Van Berlo’s interview pre game on 6pr. Essentially he said the MC’s view was hutch and masto are both able to play the defensive wing role to similar effect, but they prefer having the flexibility of using hutch to tag where required. Also said unfortunately its hard to squeeze 7 mids into 6 spots so someone was going to be stiff.

Can’t see masto coming in unless there is a midfield injury
This is good insight, having it directly from the coaches. It’s hard to argue with the logic.

Hutchings the tagger is lightyears ahead of Masten the winger, but Hutchings the winger doesn’t do it for me and I’d rather just have Masten. That flexibility is a big point of difference though.

It all sounds good in theory, but then I’m wondering why we didn’t go with a tag at any stage yesterday. Hutchings to Houli this week is a must for me, not just going in trying to play straight up then making the change if needed.

Might have been happy to just let Hutch get the run into his legs without the high physical demand of running a close tag.

Given we were effectively in control for the bulk of the game (just a big accuracy differential keeping Crows close) I guess the coaching staff didn't see the need to pull the "Hutch to tag" lever.

Might have been happy to just let Hutch get the run into his legs without the high physical demand of running a close tag.

Given we were effectively in control for the bulk of the game (just a big accuracy differential keeping Crows close) I guess the coaching staff didn't see the need to pull the "Hutch to tag" lever.
Lever left the Crows to play at Melbourne.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

(1) Cameron v Petruccelle is a hard one. We could use Cameron's pressure and tackling against the frenzied Tiges. BUT why do should we play their game? Petruccelle runs fast and hard to find space/separation which suits our kicking game which is how we will win. BUT Petruccelle has struggled with his kicking. BUT Cameron doesn't get enough of it for his cleaner disposal to make much of a difference. It will be very interesting to see which way the selectors go on this one. Both play well in the wet, so I don't think conditions matter. Ironically, it may be Waterman to make way if it rains.

(2) Schofield surely plays.

(3) Hutchings needs a job to do. I'd start him on Houli and back our mids to win the footy in the middle. Then switch Hutch to a mid tagging role if need be.

(4) Our KPDs will need to be at the top of their game. They got shown up a bit against Adelaide. Too much miscommunication for my liking.

I would really like to see some heavy physical work go into the Tiger's smalls when they start swarming and mauling the ball forwards. Get in there, hit them hard and break it up. Hurn, Barrass, Gov need to throw their weight around a bit and make the tackles count. If we let the Tigers play it on their terms they will outpoint us pretty easily.

I'm not saying go the biff but I think we need to bring physicality to the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back