Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

it's been said before, but I don't think Woosha's "let the players lead" approach works with our players. But perhaps it would be a good approach with assistant coaches to empower them and transition one to senior coach.

As long as he doesn’t get any freedom to do it with the coaching structure. That ended up with 2018’s Neeld disaster and an entire coaching and playing group that didn’t know it’s arse from its elbow.

As soon as I saw that Ross Lyon was sacked my first thought that Woosha was heading back to Perth.

IMO he'll walk from his final year of the contract and take a job in Perth with Freo. Being close to his family & escaping the criticisms at Essendon will be the main drive.

If we're taking bets; I'm going Brad Scott to be head coach of Essendon with Solomon, Caracella and Rutten as assistants.

As soon as I saw that Ross Lyon was sacked my first thought that Woosha was heading back to Perth.

IMO he'll walk from his final year of the contract and take a job in Perth with Freo. Being close to his family & escaping the criticisms at Essendon will be the main drive.

If we're taking bets; I'm going Brad Scott to be head coach of Essendon with Solomon, Caracella and Rutten as assistants.

Brad Scott has taken a job with the afl.
Besides I cannot think of a single reason we would sack woosha to appoint him.

Brad Scott has taken a job with the afl.
Besides I cannot think of a single reason we would sack woosha to appoint him.
I don't believe so. Gil came out and said he had not been offered a job.

I didn't say he'd be sacked. I think he'll walk from his contract to go back to Perth.

He's a decent coach and I think it's too soon to appoint Rutten as head coach. Sadly, there just aren't that many experienced coaches sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

Yeah definitely could be, and I would much prefer that decision. But I've read pretty consistently that he doesn't want to be a head coach. Although, Lloydy did say yesterday he was 'unsure' whether he wants to be one or not.

He's a decent coach and I think it's too soon to appoint Rutten as head coach. Sadly, there just aren't that many experienced coaches sitting around twiddling their thumbs.

First year coaches gotta start somewhere. Scott never finished home and away season top 4 did he? Leaves kangaroos and then they start winning, doesn’t bode well for him.

I think something more radical will eventuate much like NFL style coach set ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the interest in Lyon for while he has his faults but he has taken average sides deep into September but I can't see the attraction of Brad Scott when there are a number of better options available from Lyon. Rutten, Mitchell, and Blake. There is still a chance Woosha will be coaching in 20.

I can understand the interest in Lyon for while he has his faults but he has taken average sides deep into September but I can't see the attraction of Brad Scott when there are a number of better options available from Lyon. Rutten, Mitchell, and Blake. There is still a chance Woosha will be coaching in 20.
I’d say he’s Clarkson’s heir apparent.

Rate Woosha highly. Happy if he stays.
But it might also be a good time to make a mega-change? If Woosh has other opportunity then all good. We need change and a new senior might draw players and a refreshed attitude. I'm thinking Rutten. Like Woosha he will be reliant on the fitness component to deliver a plan.

If Worsfold remains coach in 2020 then it means we are still pushing for a flag, if we got a new coach I can't see any situation where a rebuild is not needed.

Disagree, If Woosha remains coach it means the list is miles off, if they switch it means the football department have faith in the list and think Woosh isn’t getting it done and the team has underperformed with him.

Tonight just shows we are so far off the best in the comp (Richmond). You need a proper system with buy in from the entire list to beat/be the best. Talent alone doesn’t get you across the line in finals. Hopefully Caracella coming in can make a difference and change woosha’s ideologies on the way he wants to play.

Last edited:
So 4 finals and 3 smackings and another that may as well have been. It’s fine (and accurate IMO) to think he’s probably not the one to take us forward but I’m not sure the way Thursday night went really factors in.

Fagan is basically a footballing genius and he made a couple of tweaks that completely wrecked the tigers ball movement and have the game as on their terms as possible, and they still copped a belting.

I really hope we dont sack him. Woosh has cleaned up an absoulute mess of a football club since he's arrived. He's gone 12-10 three years running with the one of the youngest lists in the comp coming off a drugs saga. Add to that long term injuries to key players 2 years in a row. He deserves to see out his contract.

I really hope we dont sack him. Woosh has cleaned up an absoulute mess of a football club since he's arrived. He's gone 12-10 three years running with the one of the youngest lists in the comp coming off a drugs saga. Add to that long term injuries to key players 2 years in a row. He deserves to see out his contract.

I don't think we will sack him, but it may be the case that he wants to return home to be closer to his family and there is a vacancy at Freo.

I don't think we will sack him, but it may be the case that he wants to return home to be closer to his family and there is a vacancy at Freo.
If he asked to go home for family reasons you'd thank him for everything and let him go. I just dont think he should be sacked based on performance, which it seems a lot of people do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back