Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds more like the AFL just making s**t up on the fly to be honest, not the first time we've come out on the wrong end of it.

Big winner is Massimo, Hawks wouldn't have had to give much at all, we wouldn't have got much at all but now Massimo is a free agent for life, every time he comes out of a contract of any length.

Sounds more like the AFL just making s**t up on the fly to be honest, not the first time we've come out on the wrong end of it.

Big winner is Massimo, Hawks wouldn't have had to give much at all, we wouldn't have got much at all but now Massimo is a free agent for life, every time he comes out of a contract of any length.

If Massimo ends up being any good it's actually marginally worse for Hawthorn if he comes as a DFA. Though the chance of him being good enough that it actually matters is slim.

If Massimo ends up being any good it's actually marginally worse for Hawthorn if he comes as a DFA. Though the chance of him being good enough that it actually matters is slim.

I tend to agree. One more variable they've got to concern themselves with.

Like I said, not a big deal for us or the Hawks, but Mass gets a multi year deal and more control in his hands. All power to him.

It’s in the rule book, the same rule we’ve played by since free agency came in.

reckon we can save the afl making s**t up as they go conspiracy for when it’s actually warranted, otherwise it loses its impact

reckon we can save the afl making s**t up as they go conspiracy for when it’s actually warranted, otherwise it loses its impact

Mid-season drafts were in existence when FA came in.

Sounds like it was unclear whether an MSD pickup would be considered a 2 year rookie for the purposes of the DFA clause and the AFL have simply made it up.

Mid-season drafts were in existence when FA came in.

Sounds like it was unclear whether an MSD pickup would be considered a 2 year rookie for the purposes of the DFA clause and the AFL have simply made it up.
Not really. First and second year player definitions are used for a few different things in the cba. MSD and SSP players have always been added to the list for the current year, not the next one, and paid/trained accordingly.

The Tom Morris tweet implied that the AFL moved the goalposts very recently on this (After Mass requested a trade), which is why we have been caught off guard.

The Tom Morris tweet implied that the AFL moved the goalposts very recently on this (After Mass requested a trade), which is why we have been caught off guard.
Might be poorly phrased then.

Football year has always meant November 1 to October 31, and to retain a rookie for a second football season you have to lodge a particular form, so it very logically follows that participating in a season counts as 1.

The club either forgot the rule or wasn’t as well versed as they think they are. Which is funny, because we have two people employed to manage the list.

Perhaps this is where moving Georgia Harvey into the AFLW space is a net loss for the men’s program.

Might be poorly phrased then.

Football year has always meant November 1 to October 31, and to retain a rookie for a second football season you have to lodge a particular form, so it very logically follows that participating in a season counts as 1.

The club either forgot the rule or wasn’t as well versed as they think they are. Which is funny, because we have two people employed to manage the list.

Perhaps this is where moving Georgia Harvey into the AFLW space is a net loss for the men’s program.

And my counter to that would be, if we’ve stuffed up and this is such an obvious error on our part, why did Hawthorn offer us a pick?

Clearly they didn’t know either, at least initially.

And my counter to that would be, if we’ve stuffed up and this is such an obvious error on our part, why did Hawthorn offer us a pick?

Clearly they didn’t know either, at least initially.
I don’t think it’s a monumental error particularly. D’Ambrosio isn’t worth all that much and we have bigger fish to fry.

If it was the difference between keeping or losing Martin we’d probably put a higher priority on dotting our Is and crossing our Ts.

I do think it’s a bit hilarious though. We have a coach who used to work at the AFL; a CEO that used to be a player manager, a list manager, and is a trained lawyer; and two list managers, and we still missed it.

Makes it interesting for us.

I think Hawthorn and Essendon are still wanting to do a trade, which gets him in the door 2 weeks earlier than otherwise and avoids giving him premature free agency rights (which may be of some benefit to them down the line). You’d think Hawthorn of all clubs would know that you don’t always get fair value from FA compensation 🤣

I don’t think it’s a monumental error particularly. D’Ambrosio isn’t worth all that much and we have bigger fish to fry.

If it was the difference between keeping or losing Martin we’d probably put a higher priority on dotting our Is and crossing our Ts.

I do think it’s a bit hilarious though. We have a coach who used to work at the AFL; a CEO that used to be a player manager, a list manager, and is a trained lawyer; and two list managers, and we still missed it.

It's pretty inconsequential.

Him even getting to the point where he was requesting a trade is of far more concern to me.

Fact remains, media only cottoned onto it mid way through the piece and Hawks offered us a pick for him because initially, they didn't think they could get him through the DFA mechanism.

Clearly, it wasn't as black and white as we thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes! he does look like Bruno!

Disney Just Say No GIF by BrittDoesDesign

Remove this Banner Ad

Back