Delisted #38: Rhett Montgomerie - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Been solid all year, why not in the Ridley replacement convo? we got him for this situation, no?
my personal opinion only, this is a chance to trial a potential future backline with Baldwin (FB), Zerk (CHB) and Lav (3rd tall)
If that works, you'd wager Ridley comes in for Lav moving forward and that's our set of tall backs, w/Reid and Hayes developing and Cox an option to slide back and Lav a very good back up defender.

my personal opinion only, this is a chance to trial a potential future backline with Baldwin (FB), Zerk (CHB) and Lav (3rd tall)
If that works, you'd wager Ridley comes in for Lav moving forward and that's our set of tall backs, w/Reid and Hayes developing and Cox an option to slide back and Lav a very good back up defender.
If Mongomerie doesn't play this week, then surely he's done at the end of the year.

If Mongomerie doesn't play this week, then surely he's done at the end of the year.
Suspect he is. Punt taken, has been good in vfl by all reports. But id wager weideman then baldwin are seen as ahead of him this week.
Quite possibly cox or even heppell as well.

We have too many defenders.

Rhett Montgomerie

18 disposals, 12 marks, one goal

Rhett’s defending so well at the moment, and like the defensive group as a whole has just continued to improve as the year’s gone on. Michael Hurley has done a great job in building a trust amongst the back six, and Rhett is really benefitting from that, especially as an intercept player. We put him forward late after we’d gone down a couple of players, and he fought through some difficult cramping to hit the scoreboard which was a bonus.

Think they saw him as a state league player and that's it. He was better than McDonagh but in the end he couldn't get in when Ridley went down says a lot.

Sorry Rhett, you uprooted your life, Central Districts are playing finals without you but despite being our best player in the VFL you never thought you were actually going to play, did you?

For what it's worth I reckon he was worth a punt.

He has obvious ability but overall mobility struck me as a problem. Sometimes you gotta see how that can change with the pros.

I reckon he's too slow and not big enough to plonk at half back to use that intercept marking ability so I'm not unhappy about the delisting.

I suppose he may also have been squeezed because we drafted Heppell.

Either way he's a mile off being more than depth and Scott didn't trust him anyway.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they thought he might be able to go up a level but have decided not. Rookie slots should be used like this.
What did he show this year that we didn't see last year?

The best Rhett since Rhett Biglands.

nothing against Rhett, im sure he tried his best....but this was just another Dudoro, hail mary, wast of time pick! what a ******* prick he is!
Who would you have taken instead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back