Delisted #38: Rhett Montgomerie - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

In an imperfect world Ridley can at least pinch-hit in that role, even if it’s not going to win him any prizes. Montgomerie on a 203cm KPF would worry them about as much as Redman.

Like for like they’d likely put Durham back on his wing and send Setterfield or Langford back, but I wouldn’t be half surprised if we go all in on the small defenders with both Hind and D’Ambrosio, and try to make them play through Joe instead.
Can you see why I'd disagree with the assessment though? You phrased it as if he was the same style of player. They're very different from my viewing of them, and he's closer to Ridley in that regard.

I doubt they'd losing sleep if Ridley had to do a job on Hipwood. In fact they'd be ecstatic if he had to because it takes away a massive weapon for us.

Can you see why I'd disagree with the assessment though? You phrased it as if he was the same style of player. They're very different from my viewing of them, and he's closer to Ridley in that regard.

I doubt they'd losing sleep if Ridley had to do a job on Hipwood. In fact they'd be ecstatic if he had to because it takes away a massive weapon for us.
You obviously only read my post and not the one directly above it. Context eth

You obviously only read my post and not the one directly above it. Context eth
I read both. Context: "like for like" can mean similar style. And given that the person who asked the question "liked" my post I'd say that's what they were asking

I read both. Context: "like for like" can mean similar style. And given that the person who asked the question "liked" my post I'd say that's what they were asking
Sure, like for like we’re gonna bring in Montgomerie to play the role Ridley’s been playing. And Baldwin to play Hind’s :roflv1:

Sure, like for like we’re gonna bring in Montgomerie to play the role Ridley’s been playing. And Baldwin to play Hind’s :roflv1:
C’mon Lore. We’re struggling for defensive numbers and Montgomery is an intercept marking defender of 190cm. We’ve just lost an intercept marking defender who is 195cm. Sure he’s a bit shorter but for what we need to cover for one week you’d think he’d be as like-for-like as we’ve got. If we want to have a look at him, now is a good opportunity. Baldwin could come in but I’m not sure he has the attributes to replace Ridley. His role would be to nullify Hipwood or Joe. I’m not saying we should definitely go with Montgomery over Baldwin (or neither). It’s food for thought if we want to retain an interceptor who reads the play well defensively.

Yeah if conversations were held in a vacuum.

How about;

Montgomerie is a medium defender who plays tall, Redman is a medium defender who plays small.

You don't really want either playing on a 200cm KPF, but of the two, Montgomerie would better due to actually having a vertical leap that gives him a chance to get up that high. Montgomerie is about the same height as Jeremy Howe who also often plays on taller opponents due to an exceptional aerial ability for his height.

Ridleys best role is an intercept marking third tall, Montgomerie's best role is an.... intercept marking third tall. Redman does not play this role.

Say what you like about what style of player you think he is. I have never said he isn’t an intercepting third tall.

The question was “is he going to replace Ridley as a like for like”

The answer is that no he won’t. They are not so alike that he would make a good replacement for the role Ridley would’ve had against Brisbane next week while Ridley is recovering from concussion.

If the question was “can he replace Ridley as a third tall interceptor while two of Zerk, Laverde, Stewart, Bryan, Baldwin or Weideman take the two key defenders”, then sure, maybe. But that’s not what we’re looking at next week.

And I’m not replying any further because this is the most stupid circular conversation I’ve read in ages.

Say what you like about what style of player you think he is. I have never said he isn’t an intercepting third tall.

The question was “is he going to replace Ridley as a like for like”

The answer is that no he won’t
. They are not so alike that he would make a good replacement for the role Ridley would’ve had against Brisbane next week while Ridley is recovering from concussion.

If the question was “can he replace Ridley as a third tall interceptor while two of Zerk, Laverde, Stewart, Bryan, Baldwin or Weideman take the two key defenders”, then sure, maybe. But that’s not what we’re looking at next week.

And I’m not replying any further because this is the most stupid circular conversation I’ve read in ages.
Exactly. I'm still trying to understand why you mentioned Redman at all.

Josh Gibson and Dane Rampe played/play on 200cm forwards and they are 1.89cm players.

I haven't seen heaps but his shape reminds me of Rampe a little.

Josh Gibson and Dane Rampe played/play on 200cm forwards and they are 1.89cm players.

I haven't seen heaps but his shape reminds me of Rampe a little.

All about dat team defence, if the pressure through the middle of the ground is decent then it gives defenders a chance. If forwards are getting unpressured lace out delivery, then well, Hawkins kicking 8 happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the point Lore is making is that Ridley can conceivably play on Hopwood or Daniher but Montgomerie is more like Redman in that he cannot.

Let’s argue the part about whether Montgomerie can play that role…..

this thread
Think the point Lore is making is that Ridley can conceivably play on Hopwood or Daniher but Montgomerie is more like Redman in that he cannot.

Let’s argue the part about whether Montgomerie can play that role…..
did you just mansplain to lore what she means?

I think if the game at the weekend taught us anything it’s that small players with hop and strong hands are far more suited to playing on smaller players and picking them off than playing well beyond their height and relying on speed and agility.

I think if the game at the weekend taught us anything it’s that small players with hop and strong hands are far more suited to playing on smaller players and picking them off than playing well beyond their height and relying on speed and agility.

What if you have one fit defender over 193cm available?

What if you have one fit defender over 193cm available?

Then you pick him and not the 190cm skinny flanker that just happens to have a good vertical.

Putting him on a small is how you weaponise him.

Then you pick him and not the 190cm skinny flanker that just happens to have a good vertical.

Putting him on a small is how you weaponise him.

BZT is already playing though. We have no other fit players that are over 193cm and have played as a defender in recent time (or at all) that aren't first year draftee Lewis Hayes.

Baldwin is exactly 193cm and has been suggested by most as an in alongside Montgomerie, allowing Montgomerie to play on a 3rd tall against someone like a Gunston.

BZT is already playing though. We have no other fit players that are over 193cm and have played as a defender in recent time (or at all) that aren't first year draftee Lewis Hayes.

Baldwin is exactly 193cm and has been suggested by most as an in alongside Montgomerie, allowing Montgomerie to play on a 3rd tall against someone like a Gunston.
No we can't pick Baldwin - he's too short.

Also can't pick Montgomerie because he's too short.

Also - Lewis Hayes is too young. Also can't play Weid back because he's a forward.

Oh and regrading Bryan - he's a ruckman. Can't play him either.

All clear?

Rhett Montgomerie

19 disposals, 10 marks, eight rebound 50’s

Rhett has been playing really good footy. He’s putting together solid games consistently and defending well, beating opponents while also intercepting and chopping out his other defenders. Again, when we’ve got the ball, he’s joining in our attack and helping us move the ball out of defence.

Mostly on Chol today and smashed him (one of Child's goals was from the ruck, the other a cheapie out the back) and spent time on Day and Burgess too. Think he's nearly there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back