Delisted #38: Rhett Montgomerie - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

What are we actually doing here with this type of mature aged mid sized defender? Last year it was Garrett Mcdonagh, he didn’t make it. Now this fella. Clearly we’re struggling as far as been undersized down back at the moment. But neither of these guys could play key back. Also if we can get Cox and Reid’s bodies right it only pushing him further back in the queue. So what are we actually doing here?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are we actually doing here with this type of mature aged mid sized defender? Last year it was Garrett Mcdonagh, he didn’t make it. Now this fella. Clearly we’re struggling as far as been undersized down back at the moment. But neither of these guys could play key back. Also if we can get Cox and Reid’s bodies right it only pushing him further back in the queue. So what are we actually doing here?

Without having seen him play….I have the same question.

Based on size/position he’s competing with Redman, Ridley and Kelly. Cox probably in the frame to play the same role down the track, despite his height.

Guess he’s depth….you could argue that we need a like for like replacement if/when one of those three gets injured.

McDonagh was a small defender. Not mid sized. This guy is probably a medium-term intercept defender.

I always wonder why our fan base doesn't realise that most good sides have two or three guys that are able to play an intercept role, which is really important if the opposition do a job on Ridley. Also Cox and Reid are irrelevant to him. They're tall defenders. Monty is mid sized.

Different type of player than Garrett who was recruited for his canon of a left leg.

McDonagh was a bemusing selection however Montgomerie is pretty much your ideal medium back. Tall enough with a good leap to help the key defenders in aerial contests, agile enough to cover a medium/small in his own right. He'll complement Reid/Cox/Hayes in the future.

Without having seen him play….I have the same question.

Based on size/position he’s competing with Redman, Ridley and Kelly. Cox probably in the frame to play the same role down the track, despite his height.

Guess he’s depth….you could argue that we need a like for like replacement if/when one of those three gets injured.

Forms part of the Langford conundrum for mine.

Scott very clearly likes Langford’s marking and precision kicking behind the ball but we also need him in the forward half.

We’ve tried Massimo in that 7th/8th defender/wing role and he’s very effective with the ball but doesn’t offer the intercept game and we’ve tried Heppell who in his pomp would have been perfect but perhaps Montgomerie is the compromise?

McGrath BZT Montgomerie
Ridley Laverde Redman + Kelly rotating.

This bloke is already 100 lengths in front of McDonagh.

Forms part of the Langford conundrum for mine.

Scott very clearly likes Langford’s marking and precision kicking behind the ball but we also need him in the forward half.

We’ve tried Massimo in that 7th/8th defender/wing role and he’s very effective with the ball but doesn’t offer the intercept game and we’ve tried Heppell who in his pomp would have been perfect but perhaps Montgomerie is the compromise?

McGrath BZT Montgomerie
Ridley Laverde Redman + Kelly rotating.
Indeed.

For me Langford plying forward/wing is a priority. Not happy with any line-up that has him behind the footy.

Indeed.

For me Langford plying forward/wing is a priority. Not happy with any line-up that has him behind the footy.

Fully agree, although I do understand the thinking and the idea is not without merit.

Although I think the ideal solve is Reid and Cox bolstering the KPD stocks and then Ridley plays that role so we get to have our cake and eat it too.

Having multiple intercept players is a good thing. A really good thing. All the best teams do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rhett Montgomerie

23 disposals, five marks, three clearances

Montgomerie had a different role this week, playing higher up the ground rather than deep. He was learning a different position and did a good job. He picked up what needed to be done really quickly, he wasn't in the long ball contest as much as previous weeks.

Has more in common with Redman than Ridley, maybe slightly better interceptor
Wouldn't say that. Doesn't have Redman's speed or aggression and is more of a floating intercept player ala Ridley

Yeah if conversations were held in a vacuum.

Would Montgomerie match up on Hipwood or Daniher?
Nope, but in a perfect world neither does Ridley.

Nope, but in a perfect world neither does Ridley.
In an imperfect world Ridley can at least pinch-hit in that role, even if it’s not going to win him any prizes. Montgomerie on a 203cm KPF would worry them about as much as Redman.

Like for like they’d likely put Durham back on his wing and send Setterfield or Langford back, but I wouldn’t be half surprised if we go all in on the small defenders with both Hind and D’Ambrosio, and try to make them play through Joe instead.

Really random but i recall kicking two goals on him in about three minutes in his junior footy days
Hopefully he gets a decent crack at it eventually so i can lay claim to it 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back