Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the table as in, Adelaide looking to trade him?
Or on the table as in, Laird is one of the players trying to get out?

He's contracted for another 2 seasons, so it's an important distinction.

Really good player, but not sure he's the type we'd be looking at given the expected cost (high first rounder would be my guess).

I'm assuming it's from this.

Link also includes a video of Sam McClure throwing darts regarding the Jack Martin and Dan Butler trade worth.

Last edited:
I'm with you, however can't see Marchbank leaving GWS to come home to Vic, to then be happy to go back to Sydney

Absolutely. I can't see him leaving either. Completely up to him. He's a bit older and wiser now. However a rival club showing interest and dangling the chequebook has changed many players minds before in the past.

Really good player, but not sure he's the type we'd be looking at given the expected cost (high first rounder would be my guess).

Cats are after him, looking to replace Kelly and will have a pick to give.

Laird is an SA boy and he has a contract. Good luck to the Crows if they want to move a local lad out!

From what Sam Macluure alluded to on SEN earlier was him looking to initiate a move away from the crows and Adelaide would be be in crisis mode if he left. That's how i read it.

Agree with you though. I really like him as a player but im not sure he'd be top of our shopping list. Especially for the crows would probably want in return

I'm not so sure about that.

I have a lot of time for Marchbank, but can see a functioning back-line without him.
The forward line though is bereft of quality small/mid-sized goal-kickers.

We are going to lose players along the way and it doesn't matter as long as we trade to advantage and if for instance Sydney entertained the notion of a straight swap (and they wouldn't), I'd do it.

This. Our backline functions well without him and well with him. You are also correct that we will most certainly lose some players along the way. Its inevitable.

Love Marchy, but definitely on the table at the right price. Would be our 3rd or 4th best defender at the moment. Papley is what we are crying out for.

I'm not so sure about that.

I have a lot of time for Marchbank, but can see a functioning back-line without him.
The forward line though is bereft of quality small/mid-sized goal-kickers.

We are going to lose players along the way and it doesn't matter as long as we trade to advantage and if for instance Sydney entertained the notion of a straight swap (and they wouldn't), I'd do it.

I agree with what you are saying, I just don't think you give up a 22 year old, top end key position talent for a 24 year old good but not elite small forward. Especially at a time where Caleb alone wouldn't get the trade done.

I will say again I do really like Tom Papley and I really hope we get him. But he is not a star, he is not a top 3 player in his position and he is not the only small forward on the market.

One interesting point I saw somewhere was in 2019 Papley had his career best year played 22 games and finished with 37 goals... Eddie Betts had a terrible year by all reports, didn't play every game as he was dropped.. and finished with 37 goals.

Absolutely. I can't see him leaving either. Completely up to him. He's a bit older and wiser now. However a rival club showing interest and dangling the chequebook has changed many players minds before in the past.
Straight swap for Papley?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What on earth is going on at Adelaide. So many players reportedly wanting out and also players the club wants to move on.

I'll really starting to think there might be salary cap issues at play as well.

The situation there is not normal at all.

This. Our backline functions well without him and well with him. You are also correct that we will most certainly lose some players along the way. Its inevitable.

I’d only be comfortable releasing Marchy of AR can get Willo on the park long term. Willo has more upside IMHO.

Can we just offer them Macreadie instead?

If Laird is available then we can afford to lose one of our defenders eg Marchbank to the Swans to get Papley in so we can save pick 8 for Laird. But as TCP said we aren’t looking at trading Marchbank but it’s interesting his name has come up because his contract status isn’t clear. Laird is an All Australian. Papley is on the brink of being one. Have to do our best to bring in such quality when the opportunity is there.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One interesting point I saw somewhere was in 2019 Papley had his career best year played 22 games and finished with 37 goals... Eddie Betts had a terrible year by all reports, didn't play every game as he was dropped.. and finished with 37 goals.

If we're going to make that comparison then Betts didn't kick 30+ a year until his 5th season. Onwards and upwards from there.

Papley kicked 30+ in his 2nd and 4th seasons. Also had ~100 more possessions this year than Betts did in the equivalent 5th year. Huge potential for future years.

That's why he's valued so high.

What on earth is going on at Adelaide. So many players reportedly wanting out and also players the club wants to move on.

I'll really starting to think there might be salary cap issues at play as well.

The situation there is not normal at all.

As I said on another forum, it’s Crexit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would Marchbank agree to play against Charlie/Brackets/Harry?

Has done it at training, no way he agrees to do it during a game.

Puts the whole moving to Sydney thing in doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back