Bluemour Melting Pot XIX - Give Me Ed Baby - Return of the Prodigal Son

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone who thinks recruiting Bennell would be a good idea honestly have rocks in their heads.

It's not just the persistent injuries he's always had, including missing footy basically for several years now.

It's his professionalism and attitude that's the problem...simply doesn't have the dedication and work ethic to make it, would prefer to party until late hours and do drugs rather than do all the little things required to get his body right for the rigors of AFL.

SOS cut guys like Jaksch & Boekhorst for their lack of professionalism and work ethic despite their undoubted talent.

Very true.

But Jaksch & Boekhorst were also weak as Pi$$

IF the Papley trade doesn't occur and West Coast need a low pick to get Kelly, what would people see as an appropriate trade for what we need?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's many ways that we can trade and shuffle picks and future picks involving a number of clubs but if it was to be a trade with only WestCoast for them to improve their pick for trading for Kelly should be pretty simple giving both clubs good selections to help land their targets.

2019 WestCoast 14, 22, 32, 59
2019 Carlton 8, 39,44,67,80

WestCoast gain 2019 #8 1551pts and 2020 #21? 875pts (going on this seasons finishing position)
Carlton gain 2019 #14 1161pts, #22 845pts and 2020 #32 584pts (again this years finishing position)

WestCoast go up 6 first round draft positions and ahead in all round draft points on a future swap of second draft picks of 11 spots

Carlton fall back 6 first round positions but pick up a early second rounder that imo would be bang on for the Martin trade and also have the later second rounder swap which would help if we decided to trade our future first out for someone we had locked in for a trade..

The higher we finnish next year the better draft points wise the trade finishes in our favour...
But nothing's ever this straight forward and call it a hunch I'm very confident Papley will be in NavBlue next year👍

Last edited:
It would be rather hard to dislike, the likelihood of getting Martin and Papley.

I wonder how much it hinges on Daniher, i guess if Papley nominates us, not a whole lot..

I don't think Papley will nominate. It'll be quietly done, if it can be done.

I think Daniher is a medium factor. Not small, not large.

I think we will get Martin and Papley. Clubs more often than not get players who nominate to go to them and we have the currency.

Doubt North are a threat. They have issues when it comes to recruiting well sort after players. I would dare say he would tour and meet with their people and do the same with us and we will win out. There must be something very unimpressive about them that keeps players away or perhaps they just aim too high for a team that sits too low. I don't know.

Think it will happen quietly and during the appropriate time. These players aren't leaving their clubs with bad blood so I will think it will be announced during the trade period and fairly quietly.

Martin for our future second would be great and Papley for our first rounder would be great as well.

All the ex-Carlton Adelaide blokes and Ruckmen will be low priority. a 4th round pick or lower I would assume with Carlton taking on their full salaries. It's likely that Adelaide will go for that if they can't do any better but it's not that important and not a priority.

I think we will try to use our two third rounders to recruit a small forward either from another side or through the draft and offer our fourth for Betts.

We come away from the trade period in pretty good shape IMO.

Would not be surprised if we try and manipulate a pick or two amongst those trades. Say swap pick 44 for Sydney's pick 40. Wouldn't be surprised if we offer next year's first for some good willing midfielders but probably not get anyone. It would have to be someone pretty good I would imagine though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know it's a quiet day where everyone's edging for a good rumour that we're all left with talking about Bennell.

No thanks. Lived in Perth, heard the stories. A cautionary tale on incredible talent and pathetic application.

Someone wrote earlier one player can't destroy a club? All he needs to do is negatively influence one player and the club is doomed.

Got no issue with Betts and Sauce as back ups.

+add some experience to a team which doesn't have any
+fill needs for 1-2 seasons while we use draft picks to get players like Martin and Papley
+They dont pan out, inexpensive to cut them

As much as we all would like 21 year old's filling every position and building a 10 year dynasty, it's not reality. Sometimes you just have to take the best on offer while you bring in your top priority targets.

Betts wont be no back up should he arrive.

Notwithstanding all the rumours of personal issues, whether they are true or false, my understand is Gibb's partner was very, very motivated to get back to SA. They've now been married nearly a year. They have a young child (and another on the way before Rd 1 2020). There's the potential that if Gibbs came back to us that they wouldn't follow him. That just opens up a massive can of worms in my book.

Yeah, Id imagine the missus would put the kibosh on any idea of moving back to Melbourne.

HUN just reported that Eddie has stated that his preference is a return to the Blues rather than the Suns.

Probably something we probably already suspected, but it's now been reported.

ps don't shoot the messenger...

Doubt North are a threat. They have issues when it comes to recruiting well sort after players. I would dare say he would tour and meet with their people and do the same with us and we will win out. There must be something very unimpressive about them that keeps players away or perhaps they just aim too high for a team that sits too low. I don't know.

I think he has gone.....

brad scott.jpg

I think he has gone.....

View attachment 747164

Willing to bet there is a lot more to it than Scott, if he was ever a problem at all. Possible a lack of profile within the club, facilities and people in their football department. I don't know their club well enough to accurately comment but the club with the best people, all roles filled and best facilities and one which can sell that it is or will soon be successful is the club which will win players signatures.

That or you have to over pay to buy them with salary alone.

I find it annoying that the AFL would give Eddie an ambassadorial allowance if he went to Suns— Really if they think he is good for the game he should get wherever he is - there are plenty of aboriginal players that get drafted to Victorian clubs and have to adjust to life —- if the AFL wanted to make Cyril Rioli an ambassador of the game when he was at hawthorn I would not of had a problem with it ..

Not interested in Bennell.

Playing well for two and a half hours on game day each week is important, but it's not everything. Teams grow and develop over the course of all the different things they do each week. I don't want players who can be 'gotten right' so as not to cause damage to team cohesion, I want players who can actively contribute to team culture and build each other up -- and yes, also play well on game day. If someone can only do one of those things, it's a no thanks from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back