Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome game from the young buck

Showed the impact he can have especially with a few possies on the outside

Going to be a exciting player especially after another pre season or two when he can continue you get those 15 or so possies at the coal face with 10 plus on the outside

I’m looking at 2021 and beyond. Cotchin did say he would retire if we won a flag and now he’s going for two. 😏
He’s getting more and more niggles each year bc he’s totally sacrificed his body for the club and could easily pull the pin anytime. ☹
Well yes that may be a more realistic timeline. He is only 29 now though, so that would be a very early retirement. All players cop injuries, I thought Houli was going to struggle this year and hamstrings are not necessarily the result of the crash and bash he does. I will be pretty surprised if he pulls the plug at 30 going 31.

Would think he will get games next year, not sure Cotch is ready to move over just yet.

What a problem to have, fitting in RCD, Ross, Pickett, Stack into our midfield.

you forgot about Higgo

Well yes that may be a more realistic timeline. He is only 29 now though, so that would be a very early retirement. All players cop injuries, I thought Houli was going to struggle this year and hamstrings are not necessarily the result of the crash and bash he does. I will be pretty surprised if he pulls the plug at 30 going 31.
I hope you’re right, but he’s just not looking as sharp as used to be. He’s become more of a burst or impact player lately. Hamstrings can come by struggling to keep up to the pace or striving to get away which puts stress on them.So niggles continue to creep in as his body struggles at the level.
His football smarts is keeping him ticking and I reckon he has two good years left and Cotchin isn’t the type like Junior who will play half cooked as he’s well set up financially and unselfish.

I hope you’re right, but he’s just not looking as sharp as used to be. He’s become more of a burst or impact player lately. Hamstrings can come by struggling to keep up to the pace or striving to get away which puts stress on them.So niggles continue to creep in as his body struggles at the level.
His football smarts is keeping him ticking and I reckon he has two good years left and Cotchin isn’t the type like Junior who will play half cooked as he’s well set up financially and unselfish.
Cotch will definitely go around again next year with Rancey coming back and Stacky fitter and stronger, Pickett in the background, with both Ross and JGraham fitter and stronger to ease Cotch's work loads, and Nank as well! OH nearly forgot Higgo...:beermug:

I'm not quite sold on Higgins yet. Wish he was a bit quicker, but time will tell.

Can see him playing a role similar to lambert as that link up half forward who can also spent time close to the sticks

His footy iq makes up for the lack of pace if played in the right possie

I'm not quite sold on Higgins yet. Wish he was a bit quicker, but time will tell.

I'm sold. But I reckon Higgo is a mid, resting forward. As that 3rd mid he'll be awesome. Tough, creative and skilled. He can get the hard ball and use it outside. I see Higgo as a piece of the puzzle, rather than the main man. But he can be that depth mid that is matched against someone nowhere near as good. He played a bit of that role, and then lost a bit of form then got injured.

Often it's the 3rd, 4th and 5th mids that win you the games. Because the top 2 or 3 match up and do comparably well. The better depth mids then can crush the game. Higgo is a amazing 3rd mid in a rotation, potentially.

And RCD is potentially a monster inside mid, with geneuine outside talent, and can rest forward as a marking target. What's not to like??

Cotch will definitely go around again next year with Rancey coming back and Stacky fitter and stronger, Pickett in the background, with both Ross and JGraham fitter and stronger to ease Cotch's work loads, and Nank as well! OH nearly forgot Higgo...:beermug:
Yes he will bc he’s contracted to 2020 and I reckon maybe a year at a time afterwards. Higgins I’m writing off until I hear more positive news regarding his serious head injury as I’d hate to see him remain a vegetable bc of football.
Ross Stack Naish RCD Graham Balta and co are sufficient enough and an impressive lot to carry us forward.

Seem to remember he had some ordinary games and then the news came out about his head issues...
This season he went off the boil after his stellar season last year. Looked a completely different player and you can understand why. Sad for the bloke, but his health comes first and I wouldn’t care if he never played again bc of the risks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sold. But I reckon Higgo is a mid, resting forward. As that 3rd mid he'll be awesome. Tough, creative and skilled. He can get the hard ball and use it outside. I see Higgo as a piece of the puzzle, rather than the main man. But he can be that depth mid that is matched against someone nowhere near as good. He played a bit of that role, and then lost a bit of form then got injured.

Often it's the 3rd, 4th and 5th mids that win you the games. Because the top 2 or 3 match up and do comparably well. The better depth mids then can crush the game. Higgo is a amazing 3rd mid in a rotation, potentially.

And RCD is potentially a monster inside mid, with geneuine outside talent, and can rest forward as a marking target. What's not to like??

I'm sold too, but reckon he's is an out and out small forward. His goal nous is his elite trait.

I'm sold too, but reckon he's is an out and out small forward. His goal nous is his elite trait.

Understand your logic. I do reckon that his skills and speed are more suited to the midfield. But as a resting forward he is so dangerous. Can't lose, once he gets healthy again.

Understand your logic. I do reckon that his skills and speed are more suited to the midfield. But as a resting forward he is so dangerous. Can't lose, once he gets healthy again.
He lacks the speed to close down space, so important to small forwards. Cyril Rioli best example. So while he has great football nous, and his best position is as a small forward now, he will want to become a good midfielder or I think he will struggle.

He lacks the speed to close down space, so important to small forwards. Cyril Rioli best example. So while he has great football nous, and his best position is as a small forward now, he will want to become a good midfielder or I think he will struggle.

Agree, and I reckon his skill set is better as a mid. He's a solid build and can work inside and outside. Good repeat sprint ability. But not that top end ability like Riloi

Got sidetracked into chat about Higgins. I'm all aboard the RCD train.

Yeah, about 1/2 of the last few pages are on Higgo, and half on RCD. :moustache:

RCD is a future star - if he develops fully. His size, speed, power, grunt and skill are a bit special. Higgo is short, not that fast, and a really interesting personality. Lucky to have the both of them.

On RCD. I'm really hoping he takes a step in 2020. Regular 20 possession games, and starting get that outside edge to his game. Maybe really smash through some packs and prove to himself he's capable of the next step. Few Kgs in muscle and heap of fitness improvement. Looking forward to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back