Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand why the bombers wouldnt entertain taking 5 an 9 for daniher. It allows them to inject 2 quality players on their list, where they havent had first rounders for a while.

You can get jenkins cheap 3rd or 4th round pick, whose output for a year should be 25-50 goals with the ability to play substantial time in the ruck, which is one of the bombers weaknesses.

Dodoro could even be brave and try send 5, 9 and heppell for 1 and 2. I dont see a spot for heppell next year, hes not quick enough for the wing, not big enough for on ball and players like parish have gone past him. You could be brave like clarko was with lewis a couple of years ago.

You could use one of the picks in the 30s for the young gws mid and i would think the bombers would still be strong shot at top 4 even with trading joey and heppell
Yep, we should accept an offer that Sydney haven't, and currently can't, make. On top of that we trade our captain.

Righto.

I dont understand why the bombers wouldnt entertain taking 5 an 9 for daniher. It allows them to inject 2 quality players on their list, where they havent had first rounders for a while.

You can get jenkins cheap 3rd or 4th round pick, whose output for a year should be 25-50 goals with the ability to play substantial time in the ruck, which is one of the bombers weaknesses.

Dodoro could even be brave and try send 5, 9 and heppell for 1 and 2. I dont see a spot for heppell next year, hes not quick enough for the wing, not big enough for on ball and players like parish have gone past him. You could be brave like clarko was with lewis a couple of years ago.

You could use one of the picks in the 30s for the young gws mid and i would think the bombers would still be strong shot at top 4 even with trading joey and heppell
Further to the points everyone else made, it’s probably not a good idea to post on opposition boards unless you have your facts straight.

Trade period is just about over with still some dominos to fall. But I really want to know one thing;

Understandably we've spent a lot of time dealing with Joe/Sydney - but we are really going to go into another season without trading for a big-bodied midfielder?

No Brodie. No Wines. No Sier. No Greenwood.

What the fu** are we doing to address perhaps our most pressing need?

Richmond seem to go ok without a big bodied midfielder. You'd think with Rutten and Caracella coming on board we'll be taking on some aspects of their gameplan which may avoid the need somewhat.

I don't think it's necessarily about pure big bodies size in the midfield but more so about manic intensity and pressure

Fremantle, Dogs and Blues have the best 3 big bodies mids in the game as apparently also Port did with Wines all clubs have been pretty poor for the last 3 years and outside of dogs for the last 5 years

Richmond just won a flag without a 'big body' in there. Dusty played fwd for 70% of the game

Brisbane went pretty well with Zorko, Neale, Lyons and Mcluggage they also belted up on teams in finals with CP, Clearances and i50s

Geelongs era created a fallacy in big bodies around the contest. Rather they had hard nosed, intense, manic competive inside mids who happened to be big

On top of this CC have more space than ever with the new rules. To best optimise space you need powerful quick midfielders whether big or small

If we want a big bodied mid we actually have one in Dyson Heppell he's almost 190cm. If we truly felt we needed one than why aren't we asking him to roll around at 86kgs instead of 82?

My question over the current midfield is the intensity, competivness, hard edge, combativness of guys like Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Zaharakis, Mcgrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond seem to go ok without a big bodied midfielder. You'd think with Rutten and Caracella coming on board we'll be taking on some aspects of their gameplan which may avoid the need somewhat.
We'd be fine if we had the same ferocious attack on the player and ball.
But we don't.

We'd be fine if we had the same ferocious attack on the player and ball.
But we don't.
At least that revolves around attitude and intent, which is far easier to instill in players than talent. Reward guys who show the right attitude rather than the ones racking up huge numbers playing like millionaires and we might get somewhere.

I don't think it's necessarily about pure big bodies size in the midfield but more so about manic intensity and pressure

Fremantle, Dogs and Blues have the best 3 big bodies mids in the game as apparently also Port did with Wines all clubs have been pretty poor for the last 3 years and outside of dogs for the last 5 years

Richmond just won a flag without a 'big body' in there. Dusty played fwd for 70% of the game

Brisbane went pretty well with Zorko, Neale, Lyons and Mcluggage they also belted up on teams in finals with CP, Clearances and i50s

Geelongs era created a fallacy in big bodies around the contest. Rather they had hard nosed, intense, manic competive inside mids who happened to be big

On top of this CC have more space than ever with the new rules. To best optimise space you need powerful quick midfielders whether big or small

If we want a big bodied mid we actually have one in Dyson Heppell he's almost 190cm. If we truly felt we needed one than why aren't we asking him to roll around at 86kgs instead of 82?

My question over the current midfield is the intensity, competivness, hard edge, combativness of guys like Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Zaharakis, Mcgrath

It can be done, you wouldn't suggest that the WCE midfield is built for manic pressure. I think the best way to go about building a team is as a probability exercise. You want enough of a mix that you can't be exposed for deficiency anywhere and can rotate your game plan depending on what the opposition are doing. I think this is the pocket Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong have been sitting in for the better part of two decades. You might not develop the most devastating game every year but you'll give yourself enough chances to take one eventually.

Where the probability comes into play for the big bodied mid is your more likely to find a dominant inside mid if they have that size advantage. For every 190cm failed inside mid, there are forty Howletts or Birds.

Last edited:
Wouldnt surprise me if Sydney are trying to do the Papley trade after Daniher so 9 can be retained.
Precisely what they are wanting to unfold. Papley for 9 couldve been done in the 1st minute of trade period. Unless Carlton havent actually offered 9 for Papley in a straight swap. SOS regularly adds layers to what could be simple deals.

So a little birdy told me that you’ve offered our key forward 1.2m a year over five... I’m kinda interested to hear your thoughts about how it could get done?

Difference is that Richmond have 3 inside mids (Prestia, Cotchin, Martin) able to win around 20+ contested possessions in a game. They've also regulary proven to collect 10+ clearances in a game.

We only really have Heppell able to win 20+ contested possessions. No one in our list has demonstrated the ability to collect over 10 clearances on a regular basis.

Don't just look at the bodies. Look at how they play. Richmond's 3 will comfortably smash any combination of our mids on the inside.

So a little birdy told me that you’ve offered our key forward 1.2m a year over five... I’m kinda interested to hear your thoughts about how it could get done?
Pick 5 and 9

The swans would realise the only chance they have of getting daniher is two picks in the top 10, they are waiting on 9 for papely and it gives them more cap space to put joe on a buddy style deal.

Pick 5 and 9 anyone would be happy with, especially when joe hasnt been on the park for 2 years hardly.

As i stated heppell is not in your best mids, and he is behind, redman, saad, mckenna and gleeson as running backs. The hawks gave up hodge, mitchell and lewis and thats working out ok.

The suns would love heppells leadership and they would still get two top 10 picks.

I reckon jenkins output would be the equal to daniher and he can ruck.

Bonar is cherry ripe for pick 30 and adds a bit of grunt to the run and carry that makes essendon when on song as a neutral supporter the best team to watch, with mckenna, saad, shiel, mcgrath, parish, tippa and orazio so different too everyone else

Further to the points everyone else made, it’s probably not a good idea to post on opposition boards unless you have your facts straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back