Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSP closes tomorrow. Seems we are likely to leave the spot open for the mid-season.
Yep. I don't mind it because it allows Davey a frame to return to play as well.

I don't quite understand why we wouldn't take someone - do we just need someone on the long-term injury list for the whole year? Is it interchangeable? Someone else will have a long-term injury when/if Davey is ready to come back, so why wouldn't we just take a chance on someone? Or am I missing something?

I don't quite understand why we wouldn't take someone - do we just need someone on the long-term injury list for the whole year? Is it interchangeable? Someone else will have a long-term injury when/if Davey is ready to come back, so why wouldn't we just take a chance on someone? Or am I missing something?
Someone needs to be on the inactive list.

You also need someone worthy of the spot

Seems like a risk-free shot at someone to me.
The spot can also be used in the MSD. So let's say it's Cleaver, we're having a bad first half of the year and have a top 4 pick in the MSD. If Cleaver impresses in the VFL we can take him there instead.

In addition, if we take one in the SSP and one in the MSD then that's two extra people that need to be cut end of year.

The spot can also be used in the MSD. So let's say it's Cleaver, we're having a bad first half of the year and have a top 4 pick in the MSD. If Cleaver impresses in the VFL we can take him there instead.

In addition, if we take one in the SSP and one in the MSD then that's two extra people that need to be cut end of year.

I did forget about the MSD, that makes more sense

You don’t just take someone for the sake of it, if you don’t think they’re afl quality.

You don’t just take someone for the sake of it, if you don’t think they’re afl quality.

Come the midseason draft I think you just fill every available spot. Add some depth for the 2s if nothing else. But I agree that a more cautious approach is required this early.

I don't remember whether we have the spare spot because J Davey has been deactivated/LTI'd or whether there is another spot.

I'd be kicking myself if I didn't have a spot, likely to be early in the MSD, with a Culley, Massimo, Ramsden, Edwards or even Heath or Moyle to announce himself, as a second round quality player or better, and I didn't have the pick to take one. It's very likely we'll be getting a first roundish talent as early as we'd be picking in the MSD.

If that sort of talent doesn't materialise, I'd still want a call on being able to reactivate/relist a J Davey who is tearing up the track if nothing else.

Any spots then get filled because we're still slogging out the toughest, mid winter part of the season, and having extra cover for the 2s helps development.

Come the midseason draft I think you just fill every available spot. Add some depth for the 2s if nothing else. But I agree that a more cautious approach is required this early.

I don't remember whether we have the spare spot because J Davey has been deactivated/LTI'd or whether there is another spot.

I'd be kicking myself if I didn't have a spot, likely to be early in the MSD, with a Culley, Massimo, Ramsden, Edwards or even Heath or Moyle to announce himself, as a second round quality player or better, and I didn't have the pick to take one. It's very likely we'll be getting a first roundish talent as early as we'd be picking in the MSD.

If that sort of talent doesn't materialise, I'd still want a call on being able to reactivate/relist a J Davey who is tearing up the track if nothing else.

Any spots then get filled because we're still slogging out the toughest, mid winter part of the season, and having extra cover for the 2s helps development.
I don’t think you have to take someone midseason if you don’t think the talent is there. Though picking in the first 6-8 it’s a high probability that someone has impressed at state level to be worthy of a spot.

Someone id have on the radar early is billy mccormack from central districts. Young ruck who can play forward, originally from Melbourne who played for the eastern ranges. Was on the radar of clubs but flopped in his draft year. Finished off 2022 very well and if he starts the year on fire I’d say a few clubs will be all over him.

I don’t think you have to take someone midseason if you don’t think the talent is there. Though picking in the first 6-8 it’s a high probability that someone has impressed at state level to be worthy of a spot.

Someone id have on the radar early is billy mccormack from central districts. Young ruck who can play forward, originally from Melbourne who played for the eastern ranges. Was on the radar of clubs but flopped in his draft year. Finished off 2022 very well and if he starts the year on fire I’d say a few clubs will be all over him.
We have a young ruck we already refuse to play regularly

Phillips is done at the end of 2023, we’ll be needing another one. McCormack is more of the definition of a ruck forward than a pure ruck.
I don't think we replace our plug and play ruckman with a young project.

I am rapt that EFC did not select an SSP player - You have J.Davey sitting on the sidelines who next month is one year removed from an ACL - It seemed pointless to have him on the inactive list which means he can't play in 2023.

I am rapt that EFC did not select an SSP player - You have J.Davey sitting on the sidelines who next month is one year removed from an ACL - It seemed pointless to have him on the inactive list which means he can't play in 2023.

Could we have hypothetically selected an SSP player, moved Davey back onto the active list when he's healthy and then move another injured player to the inactive list? Or was it pretty much we can either select an SSP player or we get a pick in the MSD?

Could we have hypothetically selected an SSP player, moved Davey back onto the active list when he's healthy and then move another injured player to the inactive list? Or was it pretty much we can either select an SSP player or we get a pick in the MSD?

We can do this.

The issue with just taking as many players as possible in the MSD and patching as many holes as possible is the same as it was at the end of 2022, it squeezes list spots and you back yourself into a corner.
He was training there before he started with us.

I would have liked us to have a nibble for the VFL, but it's quite clear we weren't interested

If we have a spot in the msd Harley Bennell might be the cherry on top when we are 15-0..

Will Day, OOC. Would probably go back to Adelaide. But would love us to have a crack. He suits perfectly with what we are building in the way of rangy marking wing/mid options. To implement the Geelong like system, he could be a Smith/Tuohy hybrid. I think he could even go half forward as a real creative threat.

Hawthorn really, really like Will Day, as they should.

Why would we even bother with investing energy in something like that?

Hawthorn really, really like Will Day, as they should.

Why would we even bother with investing energy in something like that?

And we really really liked Saad and Daniher... Hawks are a massive chance to go under 3 wins this year. I don't think they would start favourites vs any team round 1. There is opportunity to foment discontent within their playing group.

We've also pursued 3 contracted players that led to the sides not willing to trade. This is a much more fruitful endeavour.

Worst case scenario we get Hawks to pay salary overs for an unproven talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back